Some of the Military Shocked me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
    His strong loyalty to Young though does sort of scare me.

He is a loose cannon imo and its Young right now holding his leash....of course Young can just let go of the leash of his attack dog if he encounters trouble
    That's what I love about Greer. No matter what happens he is willing to do whatever Young needs him to do..

But to just add my two cents, the scenes of the Military coming in and stopping the coup were very VERY intense scenes. Starting with TJ explaining how bad the civvies messed up by doing all the way up to Greer's gun in Volker's face as Volker is frightened trying to reason with Greer.

It truly showed the dynamic range of the personalities on Destiny. The Military Personnel can be your friends, just don't **** with them.

I think it was all very magnificently done even down to James' rifle butt.

I play Bad Company 2 on the PS3. If you do too, invite Xeno-

Comment

Wow Greer is some guy who thinks he is all that.

So because some civilian is a thorn in the military side....that makes it ok to ditch him on a planet to die? That's Greer's thinking, with Rush. Greer's sense of right or wrong is twisted. I expected more from an American soldier.

Also that Female marine (forget her name) walks into the room and beats up a civilian, even though the civilian posed no threat to her or the military. He wasn't even attacking.

The civilians did have some good points there.
      agreed! everyone knows that american soldiers are the 'saintliest' among us all, and never do anything wrong!
      sigpic
      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
      -Liberty Prime

Comment

His strong loyalty to Young though does sort of scare me.
        I suppose, strong loyalty to Young among the Military Personnel is what the rest of the crew is scared the hell out, and that’s not the last cause of power conflict. I find it very unrealistic though. In such an uncomfortable and dangerous situation the real civilians, I believe, would be glad to shield themselves with military men against the inhospitable, unholy universe
        Everything will be okay in the end.
        If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Comment

Loyalty is good. Keeps the order. Crazy loyalty like Greer is good to have on your side for any reason.

Comment

pipi,

Originally posted by pipi View Post
            Loyalty is good. Keeps the order. Crazy loyalty like Greer is good to have on your side for any reason.
            Unquestioning loyalty is not good. Refusing to look critically at your superiors has certianly lead to some very bad situations in the past. That said Greer and Scott have both expressed a willingness to question their superiors. Well, Greer more than Scott.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

yeah, wtf is with you guys. what the military did on the show is far mercyful than what the military and police do to protesters or just stupid bystanders who dont follow orders in real life. thats the society we live in, get used to it. btw, im surprised how much flak military got from you guys, didnt you all watch SG-1? shouldnt you be partial to military?
              Last edited by Duneknight; 13 April 2010, 04:32 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                im surprised how much flak military got from you guys, didnt you all watch SG-1? shouldnt you be partial to military?
                sgu is not sg1
                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

what? its set in the same world
                  sigpic

Comment

sgu is designed to involve more bickering, whining, and moral ambiguity on all sides. just because they are set in the same world does not mean that the factions are portrayed the same
                    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                      sgu is designed to involve more bickering, whining, and moral ambiguity on all sides. just because they are set in the same world does not mean that the factions are portrayed the same
                      i understand, but it SG-1 and SGA showed soldiers doing things that werent so moral as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

i understand, but it SG-1 and SGA showed soldiers doing things that werent so moral as well.
                        You were quite right, IMO, when you said earlier that Stargate watchers would be unlikely to be anti-military (at least in scifi), but for me, the point is that in SG1 and SGA we didn't have the characters set against each other. Sure there were baddies on the earth side, but the overwhelming position was us vs them, "them" being evil aliens. The Earth guys were the heroes, even if they made some morally suspect decisions at times. In SGU, the characters are all so ambiguous that we are almost forced to choose a side, even in the face of an attack by evil aliens. Personally (and I think this is what the writers have been going for), I was disappointed with some things that Jack/Sheppard/etc did but it didn't make me angry to the point of choosing to side with the aliens - the heroes were designed to be forgiven; whereas in SGU, the characters are not immediately redeemed for their actions, it's far less black and white, no matter which side of the fence the viewer comes down on.
                        sigpic

Comment

yeah, wtf is with you guys. what the military did on the show is far mercyful than what the military and police do to protesters or just stupid bystanders who dont follow orders in real life. thats the society we live in, get used to it. btw, im surprised how much flak military got from you guys, didnt you all watch SG-1? shouldnt you be partial to military?
                          I'm sorry, the police and military are allowed to brutally pistol-whip people who do not get on the ground fast enough for their liking since when? If this had occurred in real life, someone would've been sued (state/city + individual).

Comment

Lahela,

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                            You were quite right, IMO, when you said earlier that Stargate watchers would be unlikely to be anti-military (at least in scifi), but for me, the point is that in SG1 and SGA we didn't have the characters set against each other. Sure there were baddies on the earth side, but the overwhelming position was us vs them, "them" being evil aliens. The Earth guys were the heroes, even if they made some morally suspect decisions at times. In SGU, the characters are all so ambiguous that we are almost forced to choose a side, even in the face of an attack by evil aliens. Personally (and I think this is what the writers have been going for), I was disappointed with some things that Jack/Sheppard/etc did but it didn't make me angry to the point of choosing to side with the aliens - the heroes were designed to be forgiven; whereas in SGU, the characters are not immediately redeemed for their actions, it's far less black and white, no matter which side of the fence the viewer comes down on.
                            You've just stated exactly why I like this show. Grey characters acting like real people. No one wearing white and black hats. My user name is a play on George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. He does the same thing. That's why I'm a fan.
                            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                              I'm sorry, the police and military are allowed to brutally pistol-whip people who do not get on the ground fast enough for their liking since when? If this had occurred in real life, someone would've been sued (state/city + individual).
                              Well in the UK the police managed to kill an innocent bystander at a protest,
                              http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...-video-twitter
                              And then in the US you get happy little incidents like these, gun pointed at you for speeding, how pleasant.

And in the case of SGU, this isn't the police we are talking about, it's the military, who do not work to the same rules.

Comment

Whats the weather like in downtown Baghdad at the moment? Apart from there, I can't see many other places where Police just walk around whacking people who don't follow orders.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X