Medical inconsistencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    I just thought it was funny how Rush regained consciousness and still managed to be really put out with what they were doing to him!

Was he dragged to the operating area kicking and swearing? The scene changed so quickly. One minute he was really surprised that it was even suggested that the tracking device be cut out of him, and the next he was lying there being cut open! What really baffled me was the fact that there was hardly any blood, especially under the pretty rough conditions they were supposedly operating under. I guess that so called venom anesthetic/analgesic affected the blood pressure and clotting ability too. What an amazing convenient all round thing it is!
    they werent cutting arteries or veins they were cutting into muscle to get near his heart.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      they werent cutting arteries or veins they were cutting into muscle to get near his heart.
      Let me assure you, the muscles and other tissues of the thoracic cavity, which is what they were cutting through to get to his heart, are full of arteries and veins (else all that tissue would die). I'm sure they were careful not to hit a major artery, but there is always blood when you cut into people. There should have been a lot more bleeding.

But then, as several other people pointed out, this is sci-fi, not House (everyone once in a while, we get a good bloody scene in House, that always makes me happy).

Still, they need to put a drain in that incision - there is no way they can just close up and be done with it.
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I liked the fact that they brought in a real doctor with the stones. I have wondered many times why this hasn't been done before, they're always like TJ is all we got...ummm, use the stones!

These are the types of things the stones should be used for...doctors, engineers, scientists...then the people that swap bodies can visit families while important work gets done!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
          I liked the fact that they brought in a real doctor with the stones. I have wondered many times why this hasn't been done before, they're always like TJ is all we got...ummm, use the stones!

These are the types of things the stones should be used for...doctors, engineers, scientists...then the people that swap bodies can visit families while important work gets done!
          I agree. That was quite an improvement!!
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
            I didn't see anything wrong with the surgery, it looked fine to me. And this is science fiction and they are breathing space air which technically doesn't contain any Earthly pathegons, nor does any of Destiny's benches or floors contain Earthly pathegons except those that clung onto the clothes and equipment of the people who travelled through the gate. And for all we know Destiny's air scrubers could act as a sanitiser too. And obviously any medical equipment they brought through the gate would already be pre-sterilized before packaging.
            There are germs. Every single person carries bacteria. The medical equipment, what there was of it, was only sterilized to a degree. TJ's been using it previously but then I suppose on a spaceship you can find a way to sterilize stuff without melting it As for what germs may cling to the actual ship, well, could be a lot. After all, they go off-world, walk through muck and walk back in. Nobody takes off their shoes

Comment

You're (general) overreacting. The normal floor of an operating room for example isn't sterile either and there are much more people in an operating room than you seem to think. While this scene was far from medically consistent/correct it wasn't half as bad as people seem to think it was, certainly if you consider the limited supplies and time they had to set up this make-shift operating room.
              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I've worked in hospitals for the last 25 years and they are as clean as the how someone felt like cleaning that day, trust me. That being said, I thought the medical scene was pretty good for what they had and where they were. And I would've cut Rush open........LOL
                SGU fangirl

Comment

I'm not saying it wasn't the best they could do - I'm just saying that they should definitely have to keep him on antibiotics, with a drain, and other details that I'm sure will not be gone into - because that was not a sterile field - no-one was wearing a mask, so everyone was breathing on the field. It isn't just a matter of the room - it is a matter of the instruments in the room (all of which are sterilized in a hospital), the people (all of whom would have scrubbed, gowned and been wearing masks), etc.

The operation might have been totally fine - but the risk of infection with a deep puncture incision of that type is high.
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post

I agree with using the stones to bring more qualified people onto the ship. But I can only speculate that they are limiting the skills transfer idea due to secrecy. There should be plenty of qualified personel in Stargate Command that would have gate clearance but probably not cleared to know about Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                      I just thought it was funny how Rush regained consciousness and still managed to be really put out with what they were doing to him!
                      Was he dragged to the operating area kicking and swearing? The scene changed so quickly. One minute he was really surprised that it was even suggested that the tracking device be cut out of him, and the next he was lying there being cut open! What really baffled me was the fact that there was hardly any blood, especially under the pretty rough conditions they were supposedly operating under. I guess that so called venom anesthetic/analgesic affected the blood pressure and clotting ability too. What an amazing convenient all round thing it is!
                      Thank Destiny. She was planning ahead for them.
                      I realy didn't see much wrong with the medical stuff except... They built the camera to go in and look... but what did they use to go in and take the tracker out?
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        Thank Destiny. She was planning ahead for them.
                        I realy didn't see much wrong with the medical stuff except... They built the camera to go in and look... but what did they use to go in and take the tracker out?
                        I picked up on that plot hole too. I'd figured they go with the Total Recall nose pull clamps attached to the tip of the lens, but nothing was mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                          You're (general) overreacting. The normal floor of an operating room for example isn't sterile either and there are much more people in an operating room than you seem to think. While this scene was far from medically consistent/correct it wasn't half as bad as people seem to think it was, certainly if you consider the limited supplies and time they had to set up this make-shift operating room.
                          Nobody's overreacting. We're nitpicking, something all tv viewers are entitled to do

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                          I'm not saying it wasn't the best they could do - I'm just saying that they should definitely have to keep him on antibiotics, with a drain, and other details that I'm sure will not be gone into - because that was not a sterile field - no-one was wearing a mask, so everyone was breathing on the field. It isn't just a matter of the room - it is a matter of the instruments in the room (all of which are sterilized in a hospital), the people (all of whom would have scrubbed, gowned and been wearing masks), etc.

The operation might have been totally fine - but the risk of infection with a deep puncture incision of that type is high.
                          Unless TJ was stockpiling antibiotics, she's probably run out by now. Field medics, which is basically what TJ is, don't lug around a ton of antibiotics or any drugs, really.

But it should be easy to use the stones to get qualified doctors to 'visit' Destiny. After all, if people on Destiny can use the stones to go back home and get drunk and have sex, surely they can send doctors/engineers, etc. to Destiny

But biggest quibble is that the the writers of this show (and many others) treat head injuries like, meh, they're nothing. People are struck in head, knocked out for nearly ten minutes, get up and then go 'oh' and walk off like nothing's happened.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Nobody's overreacting. We're nitpicking, something all tv viewers are entitled to do

Unless TJ was stockpiling antibiotics, she's probably run out by now. Field medics, which is basically what TJ is, don't lug around a ton of antibiotics or any drugs, really.

But it should be easy to use the stones to get qualified doctors to 'visit' Destiny. After all, if people on Destiny can use the stones to go back home and get drunk and have sex, surely they can send doctors/engineers, etc. to Destiny

But biggest quibble is that the the writers of this show (and many others) treat head injuries like, meh, they're nothing. People are struck in head, knocked out for nearly ten minutes, get up and then go 'oh' and walk off like nothing's happened.
                            chances are they bought through some exxpedition supplies which included medical supplies.....

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post

I think it more then possible then antibodics were taken from Icarus. More then you see in a standard medical kit
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

The biggest problem with antibiotics - which a fan (a doctor) pointed out years ago while watching SG1 - is that antiobiotics made on Earth are for Earth-based bacteria. They would be useless against some alien bacteria. So, hope they've got a real smart doc there to create antibiotics when they come up against a new bug.

Comment

Working...
                                X