Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Stargate Command dial Destiny from Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
    Which brings us back to the Naquadria, which, according to Jonas is an artificial element. It maybe that the Ancients intended the Stargate on Icraus to be the only one that had enough power to dial 9 chevrons. Now that it is blown up Earth and the SGC are SOL. The only question I have is whether or not dialing into Earth would require 9 chevrons from Destiny, or merely 8, like most "normal" intergalactic wormholes?
    Here is the dialogue near the end of "Air part 2" that answers your question:

GATEROOM. Riley has been looking at the console in the room and now calls Young and Greer over.

RILEY: Sir, I think I've got it. It wasn't even that hard to find - it's right here in the dialling programme.

YOUNG: You sure?

RILEY: Yes. It's an eight symbol address.

GREER: You mean you can dial this thing back to Earth?

RILEY: There's no Point of Origin indicated but, still, there's only thirty-six symbols on this Gate. I'm assuming the ninth symbol represents some x-factor distance equation.

YOUNG: Well, I don't care. Start dialling.

RILEY: Sir, don't we wanna bring Doctor Rush in on this?

YOUNG: When you said this wasn't that hard to find?

RILEY: No.

YOUNG: Well, then, he probably already knows and didn't tell us.

(In the Control Room, Rush looks at the console in alarm as it beeps urgently.)

RUSH: Oh, no, no, no, no, no.

WALLACE: What?

RUSH: Someone's dialling the Gate!
    There is no spoon...

Comment

9 it is then. Destiny must have a massive power source, possibly bigger than Atlantis.

Comment

9 it is then. Destiny must have a massive power source, possibly bigger than Atlantis.
        Or maybe it doesn't take incredible amounts of energy to establish a wormhole to Earth and vice versa. Heck, the LRC device has been running on Duracell.
        sigpic

Comment

Which brings us back to the Naquadria, which, according to Jonas is an artificial element. It maybe that the Ancients intended the Stargate on Icraus to be the only one that had enough power to dial 9 chevrons. Now that it is blown up Earth and the SGC are SOL. The only question I have is whether or not dialing into Earth would require 9 chevrons from Destiny, or merely 8, like most "normal" intergalactic wormholes?
          Actually, there is no mention that I could find in any of the transcripts that the Ancients put a stargate on Icarus, or turned the Naquadah core into Naquadria, or anything similar to that. I don't know who came up with that supposition. The entire Icarus Project, base construction, etc. was all done by the current humans. As per the information in "Air", it took at least 2 years and cost $1.6 billion.

At the time of the Ancients, Destiny would have been much closer to the Milky Way or Pegasus and would have needed much less power to reach with a stargate wormhole.

Please see the following page for more information on Naquadria:
          http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Naquadria
          Last edited by AnonyMoose; 22 October 2009, 07:20 PM.
          There is no spoon...

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
            Or maybe it doesn't take incredible amounts of energy to establish a wormhole to Earth and vice versa. Heck, the LRC device has been running on Duracell.
            The LRC stones do not transfer matter like a wormhole does. This device uses subspace energy to establish a physiological link that transfers consciousness.

I refer you to the following page which describes the 3 different uses of the LRC stones with the original ancient device in SG1 & SGA, as well as the new SGU human designed variant.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Long-...ication_device
            There is no spoon...

Comment

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
              The LRC stones do not transfer matter like a wormhole does. This device uses subspace energy to establish a physiological link that transfers consciousness.

I refer you to the following page which describes the 3 different uses of the LRC stones with the original ancient device in SG1 & SGA, as well as the new SGU human designed variant.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Long-...ication_device
              But it's all proportional... If a Duracell battery can do the LRC, a ZPM can do the matter transfer.
              sigpic

Comment

Power requ are more then Zpm can provide thats y ther used naquadria planet. But would a black hole work? Its supposedly infidente power. (never closing supergate)
                The battle for the ultimate SG team: who will it be?

sigpic

Comment

esy solution for gate power = BLACK HOLE
                  The battle for the ultimate SG team: who will it be?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                    But it's all proportional... If a Duracell battery can do the LRC, a ZPM can do the matter transfer.
                    In SGU there is no mention of any kind of battery in the LRC device. The LRC link that I listed above mentions that the device gets its power from subspace.

And yes, a ZPM can be considered to be like an enormous battery that will eventually run out. For example, in SGA, one ZPM can shield Atlantis for some time and power the stargate to connect to gates throughout the Pegasus galaxy and also connect to the MW galaxy, but 3 ZPMs are needed for Atlantis to fly from Pegasus to the MW.
                    Last edited by AnonyMoose; 22 October 2009, 11:58 AM.
                    There is no spoon...

Comment

Originally posted by soulgazer View Post
                      Power requ are more then Zpm can provide thats y ther used naquadria planet. But would a black hole work? Its supposedly infidente power. (never closing supergate)
                      Yes, a black hole does have enormous power, but it is impractical to use with a regular sized stargate that is used for human travel because of the enormous disparity in scale (time dilation effects and gravitational distortion) as demonstrated in SG1 episode 216 "A Matter of Time".

The Ori used black holes to power the massive supergates that create wormholes large enough for space ships to travel through. The spaceships exiting the supergates have enough power to safely pull away from the black hole.

This page has more info on supergates:
                      http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Supergate
                      Last edited by AnonyMoose; 22 October 2009, 06:48 PM.
                      There is no spoon...

Comment

Sure they can dial, but they wont get anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          Sure they can dial, but they wont get anything...
                          Accept a lemony frsh scent
                          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

The Pegasus Project

They used a small stargate in the Pegasus galaxy too connect to another star gate in the Milky way using a blackhole for power.

This was done using the blackhole with no issues of connecting. The reason they had a problem was they needed to make the connection jump too the supergate.

Comment

In SGU there is no mention of any kind of battery in the LRC device. The LRC link that I listed above mentions that the device gets its power from subspace.
                              I was joking

And yes, a ZPM can be considered to be like an enormous battery that will eventually run out. For example, in SGA, one ZPM can shield Atlantis for some time and power the stargate throughout the Pegasus galaxy and also connect to the MW galaxy, but 3 ZPMs are needed for Atlantis to fly from Pegasus to the MW.
                              One ZPM allowed Atlantis to dial Earth regularly, and it barely scratched its surface in terms of power consumption. Dialing Destiny could take 10-20% of its power, but it would still do it.
                              sigpic

Comment

One ZPM allowed Atlantis to dial Earth regularly, and it barely scratched its surface in terms of power consumption. Dialing Destiny could take 10-20% of its power, but it would still do it.
                                Why do people keep repeating that? It's clearly the series premise that this time, the team won't be able to establish a Stargate connection back home by second season and get regular starship visits from back home by the third.

Anyway, all Stargate personnel was completely convinced that they needed that planetary power source to dial the ninth chevron and that there was no other way. Surely they tried to dial the Destiny adress from Earth first and found out that they needed more power - instead of simply building Icarus base on a hunch.
                                So no, a ZPM wouldn't have been sufficient. Watch the pilot episode again if you think they didn't really need the planet. The additional power conduits were taxed to the limit (and by the way, it is explained several times by different people that they really need Icarus base to dial the adress).

They are said to be halfway across the visible universe removed from Earth by now. That's 6 or 7 billion light years. The Pegasus galaxy is only something like 3 million light years away. The Destiny is two thousand times farther away, completely and hopelessly out of range.

Comment

Working...
                                X