• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is Gandalf?
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
      Rush seems more like a Sirius Black or Severus Snape to me.
      More like Snape if ya want to bring in the Harry Potter.

But guys, he is talking more general. He isn't saying "RUSH IS GANDALF" but more he fits in the story line. Basically, this guy who is always working towards something...but it always seems to slip through his fingers. Heck, just re-read his post. He explained it purdy well. People are just thinking too much into it....:/

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
        I want my wizards to be wise and mysterious. And I wouldn't know about any simmilarities between Gandalf and Rush. I've never seen/read Lord of the Rings.
        Fair enuf...wow is all I can say

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
        : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

If the series progresses as the character-driven arc that TPTB are aiming for, I gradually see Rush changing his outlook on life, himself, and the people around him. If we use the Gandalf comparison, I see Rush similar to Saruman at the moment but after a series of revelations and transformations, he might end up being much closer to Gandalf.
          sigpic

Comment

I find lumping a wizened scientist with gray wizards offensive!

Yes I am kidding... maybe!

But if you put Rush on a spectrum I thought Gandalf and Melin would be on the other end of it to Rush.
            sigpic
            Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
              We don't know but watching him working the the point of breaking down reminds me Gandalf from lord of the rings always planing always working but always one step behind where he should be and its all about to fall apart in a moments notice.
              One step behind? I don't know about that. The only instance in which he was ever truly surprised was in regards to Saruman's betrayal; and in such a case his shock was warranted. The two were not only on the same side, but good friends. A wizard using a palantir, no matter what his intentions, would never be expected. It would be assumed that Saruman would know the dangers and thus avoid the accursed item altogether.

As of now, I can see the comparison that some people have made to Rush being more like Saruman, sans the insanity. His intentions are good, but the way in which he goes about accomplishing them breeds suspicion. He's extremely secretive, and does nothing to explain himself or his decisions. Not to mention the fact that he avoids human contact like the plague. He's so focused on accomplishing a goal that he neglects everything and everyone around him. And he's so arrogant the he believes he's the only one capable of fixing the issues.

As the series progresses, and as we learn more about him, I hope to see Rush become more akin to Gandalf. Even then, we could see him become more of a Gandalf the Grey, a wizened aspect of reason using his knowledge to solve problems; or perhaps even a Gandalf the White, an all powerful force taking charge and guiding the hands of others. Both would take a lot of character exploration, and I, personally, would love to see that kind of depth attributed to Rush. Either way, there's definitely a lot more we have to learn about him.

Comment

So far, these aspects of Rush's character and these significant moments stand out in my mind:

1) His frustration and humiliation that, after many months of work, he could not figure out the solution to the ancient power regulation equation, which would mark a significant career failure. This was magnified by the fact that he sacrificed spending time with his dead wife (in the picture), which made him break down and cry.

2) His reliance on Eli (a child in his mind), and eventually having to desperately plead with Eli for help (as the base was being attacked) in order to accomplish his goal and redeem his reputation and his place in history.

3) His decision to abort the evacuation to Earth and attempt to dial the nine chevron address for his own personal redemption (from issues 1 and 2), knowing full well that he would be forcing all the Icarus base survivors to go to an unknown place, not knowing if there would be any means of return from that unknown place, and that the only means of receiving any help from Earth, the Icarus planet, was about to be completely destroyed.

4) The smirk on his face while he was standing on the Destiny gate room balcony, knowing that he had accomplished his personal goal, despite seeing the terror and trauma of the remaining travelers below him, and probably thinking to himself that now, with his expertise of ancient technology, he would be in charge of them all.

5) The constant struggle for power between him and the military commander, Young, especially when he secretly used the LRC stones and then claimed that O'Neill put him in charge.

6) His nervous breakdown as he witnessed the ships power being shut down, and his chance of controlling the ship slipping away form him, blaming Young and the rest of the crew for consuming power.

7) He obviously tolerates the rest of the crew only because he knows that he's going to need them, but he regards himself as the most important person, particularly when he asked the group to disperse from the gate room, until they were called "to do something useful".

I have seen the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies, but to me Rush is just a more complex and more complete three dimensional portrayal of the typical movie mad scientist, who regards the rest of humanity as his personal lab rats.
                There is no spoon...

Comment

I think I'm more in agreement with Blistna on this one. Rush is definitely a "Roland the Gunslinger" to me. Like Eddie, one of the main characters in the Dark Tower series said about Roland, the same thing applies to Rush in my mind. It was something along the lines of Roland not really caring about the other too much, and that he would happily step over them if they were dying, in hopes of reaching his goal.
                  sigpic

Comment

Gandalf is never once "behind" in LOTR, I'm betting that most of the people who have read those books or seen the movies probably had about 95% of it go over there head. Fic12 is right that they were allies, although never good friends... Saruman was always jealous and suspicious of Gandalf.

and no, I don't think the comparison is even remotely close. Gandalf is a quite literally an angel, that's what the wizards are. he ALWAYS does the right thing(like all the main protagonists in LOTR), even sacrificing himself to save others.

I've only seen like some of the show, but as far as I can tell rush is a very intelligent but very secretive person, and he definitely has a dark side. he cares more about his goals and his own selfish desires... if his desires happen to line up with whats best for everyone, great, but if not i have a feeling he would have trouble making the right decision.
                    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

I don't think they're really comparable. Gandalf was nice and pleasant (most of the time). Rush is crazy - and perhaps even too egotistical to allow anyone else to help...

Comment

Rush may be more like Saruman before he actually turned to...umm...the Dark Side...heh

Saruman, like Gandalf was sent to Middle Earth to help against Sauron. However, Gandalf was a competitor from the start and had a lot of support to be head of the council and chief of the wizards. Saruman jealously guarded his position to the detriment of all.

Rush could easily be the same but we don't yet have all the facts. There are many roads Saruman could have traveled that did not lead to darkness but still secured his authority but the promise of the Ring undid him. Maybe Rush is on one of those roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawny View Post
                          I think I'm more in agreement with Blistna on this one. Rush is definitely a "Roland the Gunslinger" to me. Like Eddie, one of the main characters in the Dark Tower series said about Roland, the same thing applies to Rush in my mind. It was something along the lines of Roland not really caring about the other too much, and that he would happily step over them if they were dying, in hopes of reaching his goal.
                          This is a much more accurate comparison, I think, than Rush & Gandalf. The interesting thing about Roland is that as the saga progressed, he no longer saw people as a means to an end, and that one of his greatest regrets, allowing Jake to die, was a direct result of treating people as tools. I'm thinking that if TPTB are truly ambitious, perhaps Rush will gradually go through a similar transformation? I think the death of his wife caused him to view people in general as a means to an end. What if because of his future experiences onboard the Destiny, this point-of-view will be gradually eroded and his logic gradually changes to a realization that caring about people is an end unto itself? Granted, he is a long way from that but it's definitely possible.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Who is Gandalf?
                            Is this a serious question? If it is Gandalf is the wise and powerful white wizard in Lord of the rings. He was originally Gandalf the Grey who formed the fellowship of the ring, and later became gandalf the White (he is a good guy).

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                              Is this a serious question? If it is Gandalf is the wise and powerful white wizard in Lord of the rings. He was originally Gandalf the Grey who formed the fellowship of the ring, and later became gandalf the White (he is a good guy).
                              Yes. I never liked Lord of the Rings
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Julian View Post
                                I don't think they're really comparable. Gandalf was nice and pleasant (most of the time). Rush is crazy - and perhaps even too egotistical to allow anyone else to help...
                                actually, Rush is quite polite now that he has finished caffeine and nicotine withdrawal. He is now more like the slightly odd uncle that served in " the war", which you are neither allowed to talk about nor confirm the stories veracity or which war he refers to.

Comment

Working...
                                X