Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right it was sort of lame. And it was kinda all of a sudden. They could have set that up a bit better.

I think you statement says alot. "Pulled the excitement out of the original idea of Stargate"

I think that's profound.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
      Character dissertations and recitals of who you are does not a drama make.

"I am afraid"
      "I am from canada"
      "I have an aunt."
      "My wife and I are having probems"
      "I can't keep it in my pants"
      "I quit yesterday, I'm not supposed to be here."
      "I'm a good scientist too."
      Perhaps if characters recited those lines in a monotone with a blank face. But they didn't. What they chose to say, how they said it, and what they avoided tell me plenty more than just the bare facts that were stated.
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Yes, sir perhaps but interaction in dialogue...discussion...between two characters is one the most efficient ways to learn about character. It's interactive for us and we get to know two people at the same time.

Comment

Yes, sir perhaps but interaction in dialogue...discussion...between two characters is one the most efficient ways to learn about character. It's interactive for us and we get to know two people at the same time.
          While true, we're getting a different level of knowledge about the characters with the kino confessionals. With those, we're learning sides of them that they would not necessarily discuss with another character. Thanks to these scenes, for example, we know that James is terrified of dying on Destiny, but it's not something she wants anyone to know about. That's important character information, and I'm not sure how we would have gained it any other way.

Comment

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
            It's recorded.

Comment

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
              It's recorded.
              See, I was under the impression that all of the kino confessionals took place after the seriousness of their situation became evident in Light, when Eli proposed to the crew that they leave something of themselves behind, and that the scenes were non-linearly peppered throughout both episodes in order to space them out and provide some vague foreshadowing. In which case, no one on Destiny was going to see what was recorded, so it does make sense for James to expect her recording to be kept private from the rest of the crew.

I saw it as nearly every kino scene being a reflection of what that character thinks may be their final thoughts. James doesn't want to die, Spencer only wants to get off the ship, Scott is praying, Park is taking refuge in science, Brody's trying really hard to say something profound, Rush doesn't want to say anything at all -- these are all very telling character moments which would be difficult at best to shoehorn smoothly into inter-character dialogue.

Comment

They were doing the kino interviews before that...and
                they'll continue to do so afterwards even though they know they Young is spying on them.
                THAT makes even less sense don't you think?

Comment

They were doing the kino interviews before that...and
                  they'll continue to do so afterwards even though they know they Young is spying on them.
                  THAT makes even less sense don't you think?
                  The first kino interviews were in Darkness, the last ones were in Light, and, I believe, they were done for a very specific purpose tailored to the situation of these two episodes. We don't know if the kinos will ever be used like this again. But that's kinda my point. People said things in these episodes, under these circumstances, with this mindset, to the kino - things that they may not have said to a person, and therefore would not likely have said to a kino if they expected someone else on the crew to watch the recording later.

Comment

but wasn't Eli behind the kino?
                    so they didn't mind confessing stuff to him, since he was listening?
                    now he knows a lot of other people's deep secrets!

Comment

Originally posted by senatorincitatus View Post
                      The first kino interviews were in Darkness, the last ones were in Light, and, I believe, they were done for a very specific purpose tailored to the situation of these two episodes. We don't know if the kinos will ever be used like this again. But that's kinda my point. People said things in these episodes, under these circumstances, with this mindset, to the kino - things that they may not have said to a person, and therefore would not likely have said to a kino if they expected someone else on the crew to watch the recording later.
                      I see.
                      It's still seems to boast a bit of incongruity.
                      Maybe it's just me.

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                      but wasn't Eli behind the kino?
                      so they didn't mind confessing stuff to him, since he was listening?
                      now he knows a lot of other people's deep secrets!

Sometimes he was sometimes he wasn't.
                      The problem I have is that they are treating them as confessionals...private when the privacy is anything but. It seems these kinos interviews are strictly for us and how they fit into the story is a bit problematic.

Comment

I see.
                        It's still seems to boast a bit of incongruity.
                        Maybe it's just me.
                        Or it could be just me. It seems to be a matter of interpretation.

Sometimes he was sometimes he wasn't.
                        The problem I have is that they are treating them as confessionals...private when the privacy is anything but. It seems these kinos interviews are strictly for us and how they fit into the story is a bit problematic.
                        Well, they were for us, just like the rest of the show, only more transparent about it. But if they were all for the message-in-a-bottle in Light, then the assumed privacy level was much higher and they fit into the two episodes much better, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by senatorincitatus View Post
                          Or it could be just me. It seems to be a matter of interpretation.

Well, they were for us, just like the rest of the show, only more transparent about it. But if they were all for the message-in-a-bottle in Light, then the assumed privacy level was much higher and they fit into the two episodes much better, in my opinion.
                          I suppose so.

Comment

So did anyone changed their minds after a few episodes? I haven't been watching so my thoughts are still the same....it's boring!

do u still think they should have something more?

Comment

It's still pretty boring...I'm hoping that the mid season finale will knock it up a notch.

Comment

We get end credits at the end of each episode. How is that not exciting enough for you ?

Comment

Working...
                                X