This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landers View Post
    So the development I saw was, girl in shower, girl afraid of dark, girl afraid of earthquakes, stupid man who worries about girl instead of his dying soldiers, promiscuous guy saying prayers (nothing worse than a hypocrite), and girl with big boobs. Hmm, yeah maybe there was character development, just not interesting development.
    Chloe in the shower taught me that she looks at herself as vulnerable and alone, constantly calling out to Eli most of the time for comfort and friendship. It also showed me that Eli and Chloe are creating close bond with each other as they are both young and are civilians. Meaning that they aren't always in the loop, so to speak.

With Lisa Park's comment/rant on earthquakes I assumed that she was using this as a sort of shield to protect herself from breaking down. Just like with Eli using jokes or random comments as a means to get over the stress, Park rambles on like some people would when they become nervous. If you did manage to pay attention to her facial expressions you can defiantly see the transition of her being excited that she could survive but then becomes more stressed as she began to comment on the geological conditions that they might face.

Col. Young visiting his wife served as an insightful view on their relationship. With Young knowing that he would very well die out there with Emily not knowing the full truth of what happened, we know that he loves her enough to tell her the truth and to explain why he had to go. Emily then rejected Young's message with her saying that she's moving on and that Young wouldn't of said goodbye in Telford's body if he knew he was coming back. Plus there was nothing he could do instead of report the problem to his superiors.

We already know that Lt. Scott has a religious background. Although it may be deemed hypocritical for him to being promiscuous and all but who ever said that someone can't be like that while sustaining a religious belief. Sure, maybe in conservative times it would be rejected but this is the 21st Century. We have more relaxed views when it comes to sexuality and faith. Western society doesn't demonize people for these actions. Also, they're stuck on a ship with no way to get back home, it's not surprising that someone fell back on their faith as a means to support themselves throughout the harsh times.

Lt. James is known for her fairly large (in other words huge) breasts and this can benefit us into her character development. She is seen suggestively giving Eli hints into following her. This could mean, in future episodes she might use her assets (I mean seriously..WOW!) for her own manipulation. In other words she can flirt her way into submitting someone to her side.

So yes there is character development; we see Chloe sorting comfort in Eli, Park's mannerisms in dealing with problems, Col.Young's love for his wife, Lt. Scott's resorting back to his faith and Lt. James way of manipulation. How this isn't interesting is your own opinion but I personally found out a lot and important/interesting development in these characters

Comment

I'm a ferm beliver of Erich von Daniken's theory in his "Chariots of the Gods" book. I first started watching SG1 because it revealed and sustained the exact same theory (ancient gods were in fact aliens from space! if interested watch the "Ancient Aliens" movie - 2007).
      This idea kept me going through the whole 10 seasons (the Ori story wasn't of such a great impact for me btw...).

Afterwards, came SGA and even if ancient gods were no longer a part of the series, Atlantis's fight against all those threats still made me wait anxiously for each and every episode.

I'm still waiting for that spark that'll just give SGU the appeal that SG1 and SGA had!!!
      Why haven't they included at least glimpses of encountering other alien races?!

To quote another message..."I so want to be a fan of SGU", to support it and receive the same addiction that the other 2 series offered. Hurry up and make it interesting!!!

Comment

I don't get all the "Amazing!" or "Best ever" comments either. This was slow and I really learned nothing, except:

Chloe took a shower. Hey, why couldn't we see ELI taking a shower? Why are the young girls always the nakey ones? Chloe is afraid of the dark and needs "rescuing". Sorry, I have had enough of this one. She is close to being worse than SGA's Keller (who had her own "triangle" going on SGA), and I've always considered Keller the worst character ever created in Stargatedom.

Col Young leaving the scene of an emergency to visit his, wife/ex-wife, whoever she was? That was one of the worst ideas I've ever seen! And some people think we got such wonderful character development from Young in this episode? He left his post? He left his people in mortal danger? All to go visit a woman who doesn't even like him? Give me a break!

The videos patterned after SGA's Letters from Pegasus. Talk about total copy. I can still hear Rainbow Sun Franks saying, "We can edit that out". Sheesh writers, can we be ORIGINAL here? However, in LFP we actually learned about the characters. These guys were lame, immature, and I can't understand how they got their jobs in the first place. Some guy comparing himself to Salieri? Salieri was a LOSER! Some giggly lady rambling about fear of earthquakes? Hello? And some engineer guy who I wouldn't want working on my kid's scooter! None of these people showed any confidence, heart, soul, intelligence. LFP was where I fell in love with Zelenka, but I don't even remember the names of these people.

The Telford incident (which was too short) and Rush and his breakdown were the only highlights. Carlyle continues to make the rest of these actors look like amateurs. The only "new" improvement was the medic TJ, who I actually started to like. The rest remain angry and unlikeable and I'm sick of them hating each other.

So the development I saw was, girl in shower, girl afraid of dark, girl afraid of earthquakes, stupid man who worries about girl instead of his dying soldiers, promiscuous guy saying prayers (nothing worse than a hypocrite), and girl with big boobs. Hmm, yeah maybe there was character development, just not interesting development.
        Maybe people are allowed to have a difference of opinion to you. There are many sides to Stargate fandom and no one can say they represent all of them. You might not like characters and stories but there are plenty of people who do, allow them the freedom to enjoy this show.

Further I really have to disagree with some of his criticisms. I am known for a dirty mind yet I saw nothing sexual with Chloe in the shower. I saw a tired young women who desperately wanted a wash. And what is wrong with Young visiting his wife briefly, things on the ship weren’t moving forward, he was taking the time then to talk to her before he lost that chance when later he would be heavily involved with work aboard the Destiny. Finally I think some people need to stop with the holier than thou crap, how is Scott a hypocrite. Just because he doesn’t live his life to your morals doesn’t make him a bad person.

Comment

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
          I am shocked anyone would say this is a good episode. It was another boring and slow moving episode that brought us nothing.
          Ha Ha. You're in the episode threads, my friend. They're rather notorious for their one eyed love fest of any episode of Stargate-good, bad or truthfully terrible-like Darkness!.

Comment

I don't get all the "Amazing!" or "Best ever" comments either. This was slow and I really learned nothing, except:
            I don't either... but that's not popular to say.
            Chloe took a shower. Hey, why couldn't we see ELI taking a shower? Why are the young girls always the nakey ones?
            You have put the show into perspective for me now. I shall try to tone down my criticisms a bit. In expressing my opinion about how bad I think some things are, I guess I forget about how bad they could be. Thank you writers for this small mercy. No Eli nakedy. And please continue making sure its the girls nakedy.
            Col Young leaving the scene of an emergency to visit his, wife/ex-wife, whoever she was? That was one of the worst ideas I've ever seen! And some people think we got such wonderful character development from Young in this episode? He left his post? He left his people in mortal danger? All to go visit a woman who doesn't even like him? Give me a break!
            I've expressed this opinion as well. It goes no where. I guess we are just supposed to expect that the military in this show isn't really the A-Team anymore, more like the B-Team on a good day.
            Some guy comparing himself to Salieri? Salieri was a LOSER!
            I actually enjoy that, but that was because I like the movie Amadeus and it reminded me of that.
            So the development I saw was, girl in shower, girl afraid of dark, girl afraid of earthquakes, stupid man who worries about girl instead of his dying soldiers, promiscuous guy saying prayers (nothing worse than a hypocrite), and girl with big boobs.Hmm, yeah maybe there was character development, just not interesting development.
            Reality I can live with. I'm really torn on this one. On the one hand, boobs.
            On the other hand, I'm sure the writers are doing a great service to our serving female soldiers portraying them as large breasted sex kittens. Did you see how she lured Eli?

Comment

So lately I have been watching SGU on Space here in Canaha. At about ...hmm...45 min into it they show the trailer for next weeks. So the trailer showed them heading straight for the sun and all that other fun stuff. So then I was watching the rest of the episode with it all spoiled going "wow that would be a sweet twist,... if they didnt just show it in the preview..." Like imagine someone who doesent follow GW faithfully (not me) For atlantis in the episode where Weir comes back. Your watching the episode all about them looking through ther city and trying to find out whats happend. Then you see the preview about replicators and Weir helping them. Takes all the suspence out of it

Sorry I just had to vent it is really annoying.
              *Side note
              Power problem + Sun = Solar Power Come on...
              This isn't Atlantis?
              I don't think so.
              If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

Comment

Rush is the only real interesting character so far. But this show is very non classic Stargate. Way too much soap opera and quarrels in space...

Comment

When the ads/previews come on, just shut your eyes and sing a song that lasts three-odd minutes until the show's back on.
                  ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

now you see boys and girls why brad and rob got Robert Carlyle

4 great eps in a row
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
                      Ha Ha. You're in the episode threads, my friend. They're rather notorious for their one eyed love fest of any episode of Stargate-good, bad or truthfully terrible-like Darkness!.
                      Yes because we who like it are utterly evil for having a different opinion to you.

Comment

As spoilers go, that's pretty spoilertastic. I'd be shouting at the TV

p.s. Now people know how last nights episode ends btw, the whole power, sun, etc. I've not even seen the episode
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          <snip> So that brings the question does Darkness change the right elements of classic Stargate while leaving the meat of the show intact making a good or even better project then what we have seen before. It’s not fair or rational for me to answer that question right away.
                          I think you're on to something here. What do you think? Did they leave the right things intact while choosing the correct new elements to enrich the "Stargate" experience? I think they are off on a good start, but it would be even better IMHO to go a little further along the path.

One thing of criticism on that is the fact they seem to be clinging on the connection with Earth, especially with those communication stones. I don't understand why they wouldn't use them all the time, and as such get help from Earth. I think those stones are just creating more problems then they are worth in helping out the story. I would even say that those stones are my main annoyance of the show in general so far.

As to came back to the fact of the balance between old and new, I would want to point out that I feel that the fact alone that they are on the Destiny creates the opportunity to be refreshing, and do something new. However, it's because of elements like these stones that the story lapse back in the old stargate pattern. I liked the flashbacks, it's certainly not new on TV, but it's new on Stargate. However, I fear that these elements will get old pretty soon, so hopefully they'll get rid of the stones very soon.

<snip>
                          The kino scenes. I have seen it done so many times in almost any drama series imaginable. Does that make it a rehash? Maybe but then again almost any modern show has some form of rehashment to it. So I may be biased but I have always loved these kinds of scenes. They are short and take very little away from the plot but they are intense in showing us what these characters. We know Vanessa doesn't want to be here while we can infer Sgt. Riley looks forward to the adventure. We also know that Rush isn't a person who likes to express his emotions. Which given his logic (or lack of) in the pilot that makes sense. Like I said they show the emotional levels of the character and they were well done with the exception of another Planet of Apes quote from Eli.
                          I agree. However, I like the Planet of the Apes quotes of Eli. I don't mean they are good, but they are idiotic and silly as to give insight in Eli's character. I find it funny how he keeps making those references, although they are completely idiotic. It's just an annoying character element. It's stupid, but somehow I find it fitting for Eli.

Colonel Young is quickly rising on my awesome meter. Just look at that meeting he had, (let’s call it the Destiny's mess hall). Despite everything that has gone wrong he is still trying to bring military order to the ship. Look how he was conducting meetings on what they have and what they need. I like that they remembered about Senator Armstrong from the pilot and that he is rioting in the shuttle. Moving on I loved his tension with Rush. It seems to a perfect balance. They don't hate each other. They just don't see eye to eye on the proper course of action. Very complex rivalry that I look forward to how it progresses.
                          Again, I completely agree. I could not have said better myself.
                          I really like how Rush is a much more complex character than we have ever seen before on Stargate. His likable and very dis-likable at the same time. He's a bit annoying and has a temper, but he's also right and has his brains on the right place. I really liked the scene after Rush had fainted and Col. Young is meeting with Eli and the two scientists. It really gave a perspective to the whole story and relationships between the characters. Not immediately over top on any side. So I would say that you next paragraph, yet again a good description of how I think the events in the show where portrayed by Carlyle's performance.

Speaking of Rush his arrogance is kind of unique and very interesting. When thinking or arrogance I can not help but think of McKay. Given his characterization it’s the best analogy we have but Rush’s arrogance is more complex then what we are use. Its not that he thinks he is better then anyone just that he happens to know more about how the Destiny works. The way he yelled at Dr. Volkner wasn’t a yell of I’m better then you. It was a yell I don’t have time to explain the power problem to you.
                          Now I would probably be a bad Chloe thunker if I didn’t mention the shower scene and what came before it. I think the scene between Eli and Chloe symbolizes a very good question. What are these two suppose to do on the Destiny? Sure Eli can be quite a smart person for a computer hacker dropout but don't they have Rush and other people for the job. That makes Chloe even a bigger question. What does she do? Their is no one like her on the ship which is nice. But what purpose does she hold? Frankly I do not know the answer to that question but I look forward. I could go ahead and say the scene of Chloe was hawt. And on a superficial level that might be true but on a real level it did nothing but promote awkwardness between Chloe and Eli. I guess it could be argued that in itself was a way to develop a Chloe/Eli friendship and/or a potential relationship.
                          It's funny you should say this, as in the episode it was pretty much established that everyone things Eli knows everything. That he's pretty valuable as a person aboard the ship and as a character to TPTB as to come up with solutions, good ideas and also as a person to rely information and to give another POV on things. It might come over, initially, on the surface as if Eli isn't worth that much, but I think there are much he could do. A good point to prove this is the fact that Rush says, "If he would really want to help me, he would have sent Eli."

To go on about that, I think that Col. Young never meant for the scientist to help Rush that much, but more to keep an eye on Rush. I still don't think we now why he would want to do that. Yes, he doesn't trust Rush and that could be a reason why he would want to have someone to watch him, but it seems to me he is also concerned about Rush. Sure, I can see that this relationship Young-Rush could potentially become a very interesting one. Also, we should not forget that they worked together on Icarus base for quite a while.

As a fellow Chloe Thunker, I agree with you, that question does indeed remain. Although her function, purpose on the Destiny may be unclear for the other persons there. And so she might seem not useful as a person aboard. Her character, however, is just the kind of thing the story and TPTB need to bring something original, refreshing, mysterious and exciting to the screen and the story. It will add complexity, a new POV, and much more. If you have seen the promo for the next episode, I'm sure you'll agree that she might play one of the most interesting roles in the entire episode. Hopefully it will pan out good, and TPTB won't screw up everything again with another Love Triangle. Because we've seen that, we've been there and we've done that, horribly I might add.

Moving back to Rush. He is such a great character to watch and this is mainly to the acting style of Robert Cartyle. You really feel what is going on as he makes a realistic impression. As he yells at Colonel Young and everyone for dialing Earth you really can see yourself like that. I can see me acting in that manner if I was under that level of stress.
                          Yes, Carlyle's acting is a very strong point for the series, but then Carlyle has always been a good actor and I hope that others like me will find this a convincing element to start watching SGU. He sure has not let me down.

Time to do the old switcheroo. It seems like it will become a standard in SGU. An episode can't go by without using the Ancient communication stones and its funny to see just how radically different the Telford and Young are in leadership styles. But before I go there I must say how much I loved Col. Telford waking up to the piece of paper saying, "Use the Crutch." This is kind of humor we should strive for. Yes these people need to be serious but it would be unreal (and unStargate) if their was not humor every once in awhile. Its interesting that Telford is more of an authorian leader in that you do what he says no questions asked. In contrast Young is more of a cooperative leader who listens to everyone’s point of view before making a decision.
                          Well yes, I already gave my opinion on the stones. However, about the "humor" element of stargate. I think they might have lost some chances just because they wanted to make the show "darker" which they did, but it think the stargate-humor and the dark element aren't mutually exclusive. They should be able to, and should, fit both of them in. I will forgive TPTB their lapse in the premiere when they continue like they have done with this episode. The balance in this episode was better IMHO than in the previous three-parter.

<snip>
                          But whoa maybe I am getting ahead of myself. I should mention two Eli scenes that I thought were a little over the top. I understand they need to "sex" up Stargate but using the Kino to spy on Lt. James just seemed out of place. Really all these power problems Eli and you want to spy on someone.
                          <snip>
                          I was under the impression it was Riley that was spying on James and that Eli was only along for the ride. It was juvenile, I agree. It wasn't the best scene, maybe one of the worst, and surely it did not entirely fit in. So, they could just have left it out, unless it will come back in one of the following episodes to reveal some important B-plot element. That was my thought after thinking about that scene. However, I do think the stress on certain parts of James that some people saw - I'm not pointing fingers - wasn't there. All people are different and for the scene to work they could hardly have James there fully clothed.

And finally the end. Nice VHX of seeing the Destiny going through the gas giant. Its hard to imagine that this is the same people who the VHX on Atlantis and SG1. It feels some much different. I'm not saying its better because I hardly meet the qualifications to judge it better. A final point where the Destiny travels the gas giant and suddenly changes course to a sun, that scene was kind of predictable to me. Since I know Darkness was part 1 of a 2 parter I saw that one coming a mile way. But given the greatness of the rest of the episode I'll overlook it as it was quite enjoyable to watch. In fact I liked this episode better because their was so much characterization and unlike a lot of show the characterization wasn't added at the expense of the plot. So another home run for SGU in my book
                          Again, I agree.

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                          There's a difference between her having large breasts and them using the camera to zoom in on them though. Simply because eyes are drawn to them doesn't mean that they were focusing on them.
                          Just what I thought.
                          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

You said it better than me. We have the BSG look and feel, along with the BSG sex angle, but most of the characters behave as if they are teenagers. Giggling, immature, lack of confidence, neediness, oogling at boobs, etc., doesn't cut it in the BSG world, where soldiers, doctors and engineers were kick ass and tough.

I actually cannot think of a single BSG solder, scientist, engineer, doctor who would even got close to being kick ass, in fact if they were kick ass they would not of been serving on the pile of junk that Galactica at the time. An none of them were particularly tough either, in fact most of them broke down mentally an physically by the second or third episode.

There is a jarring disconnect on this show and I wish TPTB would decide which way they want to go - hard core scifi (BSG) or teen froth (Charmed/Buffy). Combining the two isn't working.
                            BSG was never hardcore scifi. It soft core scifi, Atlantis and SG1 an even defying gravity are hard core sci-fi

Giggling, immature, lack of confidence, neediness, oogling at boobs, etc just like most of the people on BSG were in one way of the other. They were all immature anyway. An most of them lack self confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                              Originally posted by Coronach
                              There's a difference between her having large breasts and them using the camera to zoom in on them though. Simply because eyes are drawn to them doesn't mean that they were focusing on them.
                              Just what I thought.
                              You guys would make awesome "sensitivity training" coaches

Its always amazing to see how different people perceive the same thing. My perception tells me there is no doubt whatsoever what they wanted you to focus on in that scene.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k
                                Glad you feel that way. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget your car door.
                                People can be negative about this show here you know. I know the concept is hard for some of you here to understand. Make your own forum if it upsets you that much that people have the nerve to be negative. Might I suggest you make

https://www.onlypositivethoughtsabou...yourbanned.com

Comment

Working...
                                X