When Eli stuck his hand in the gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
    The safety protocol was there, but it can be over-ridden. If you'll recall, O'Neill gave the order for the gate to be shut down with the intention of severing Kawalsky's head.
    Yup. And as we have heard in many instances our gate on earth has many of the safety protocols disingaged due to our use of the dialing computer..

Speaking of which, why is it in such a big hurry anyway? It has been doing this for hundreds of thousands of years, but stopping for more than 12 hours is somehow going to screw something up?
    Maybe it is on an auto pilot thing, which automatically shunts it into and out of FLT at predetermined intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by ega1 View Post
      It's just a computer.
      So was the Hal9000 in Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey saga. It's apples and oranges I know, but I'm just saying.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by luckylad View Post
        yeah i think that was the point in showing u that in the third episode now they realise they get 37 extra minutes
        Actually, a few seconds after the time limit was passed, the ship began to shake like crazy. 37 mins. would be a danger.

Comment

I remember in atlantis with the puddle jumper was stuck in the gate, it remained open.

Comment

I thought there were ships before destiny that seeded the stargates seen now.

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
              You guys know Eli stuck his hand in the gate, what I like to know is why didn't the gate turn off? Was it a safety protocol? Because in other stargate franchise the gate would shut off automatically regardless of who ever is in there.

Sorry was interrupted when that happened
              I haven't gone through this entire thread so hopefully someone else hasn't posted this already

Carter explained (not sure which episode) that the gate has a protocol which states, an object must come through as a whole, so to eliminate problems with re-integration.

McKay also quotes this during SGA: S01E04 when the Puddle Jumper gets wedged in the gate due to the drive pods not retracting.

The gate will hold the wormhole open for the entire 38 minutes, waiting for the entire object to enter the event horizon, after that, it will simply destroy the object by disengaging the wormhole.

My problem is, Rush gets on the radio to Eli and tells him to stick his arm thru but in SG1: S03E18 when the NID off world op is found out, Jack says, "Just incase you're thinking of going somewhere else, I'll be holding the door opened for you" (or something to that effect).

Then you clearly see Jack with his arm in the event horizon whilst the other NID members come thru the gate. Jack then removes his arm and the wormhole disengages.

I believe this to be a standard protocol for all gates!

hehe, sorry, my problem is, Rush could have done it from his side as well, tho he'd rather risk Eli's arm than test it himself!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
              : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by Arwis View Post
                My assumption is that safety protocols did not allowed for destiny to shut Stargates however they bough just a few seconds because destiny started to move and was preparing for the jump, this would automatically shut the stargates because wormhole would be disintegrated due to instable connection.
                My assumption is that Destiny will remain in place, if there is an active wormhole, for the duration of that wormhole. I think this is the safest way for the Ancients to have built Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by luckylad View Post
                  But to my knowledge the only time i seen something severed off in stargate was from the earth gate which has a computer system that they always said overides all the "safety protocols" (mckay said so in sg1) and if your thinking when, it was the third episode where jacks friend had the snake in his head. Apart from that to my knowledge i have never seen someone have something severed off from having it stuck in the gate. And so that safety device might work on any gate just we didnt know about it
                  Yes I believe the Kawalsky incident happened due to the fact that we have the ability to override the basic safety protocols.

O'Neill screamed out, "NOW!" and I believe Carter simply disengaged the wormhole using our computers!

Comment

Originally posted by renboy View Post
                    The 38min could be different for it as well.
                    My thoughts exactly. We have no idea what additional protocols exist for this type of gate, nor can we assume that the pre-established protocols that exist for MW and PEG gates as well.

We should assume that we know nothing and test our assumptions through scientific testing!

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                      but I can't remember an instance of someone walking back into an "incoming wormhole")

Kinda scary if it you think about it, because what if you step through and stumble and fall backwards on the other side, do you die or you simply fall through the event horizon and land on the ground on the other side of the gate? I am betting you die, because there was a SG-1 episode where a gate was vertical and a MALP went through and then immediately fell back into the gate and was destroyed.
                      I believe O'Neill would have been fine with his arm because he didn't fully cross the Event Horizon and so was able to put back without problem.

When you cross the Event Horizon (in your entirety) on an Incoming Wormhole I believe that since there is no where for you to go, you simply are dematerialised and left that way.

Just like the MALP, it fell back through and dematerialised and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                        I wonder since the FTL appeared to be trying to jump at 0 seconds, that 38 minutes wouldnt be enough for the ship to handle. It was shaking violently!
                        I think that, just like jumping to Hyperspace, an energy build up of some kind is required to open the window to jump to FTL.

Otherwise the only way to get to that speed is a gradual build up of speed over time.

So there must be a latency of a few seconds in order to get the ship up to that speed.

This latency should be explained and can serve as a "eleventh hour" kind of reprieve if necessary in future missions.

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                          hehe, sorry, my problem is, Rush could have done it from his side as well, tho he'd rather risk Eli's arm than test it himself!

Since that protocol should apply to objects as well as lifeforms, couldn't they have just stuck a bag into the event horizon?

Comment

Kinda scares me that the ship seems to have seizures... why should it tremble when it is impatient... it's a ship. It should have just waited for the gate to close and then engaged its engines.
                            I think the "trembling" is more of a energy build up. Since the ship is old, it's probably gonna rattle a bit during that build up.

Speaking of which, why is it in such a big hurry anyway? It has been doing this for hundreds of thousands of years, but stopping for more than 12 hours is somehow going to screw something up?
                            It's like a computer program, it simply doesn't know any different.

Stop, do it's thing for 12 hours, jump back to FTL. It hasn't been doing anything different for millions of years.

I also believe that there will be a change to the 12 hour limit, tho I doubt they'll remove it, just simply extend it to like, 48 hours or something that a decent away trip could accomplish something useful!

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                              I think the "trembling" is more of a energy build up. Since the ship is old, it's probably gonna rattle a bit during that build up.
                              I'm 40...I know how that goes

Stop, do it's thing for 12 hours, jump back to FTL. It hasn't been doing anything different for millions of years.
                              I'm watching the anime for "Death Note" (I've already seen the live action) and the chilling thought that ran through my mind concerning the Destiny was "I was bored"
                              If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                              Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Vaultzz View Post
                                Since that protocol should apply to objects as well as lifeforms, couldn't they have just stuck a bag into the event horizon?
                                I'm not sure but doesn't it only apply to organic matter?

Could be wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X