Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Descended View Post
    Spoiler:

How can Destiny really be older than Atlantis? In the first episode of Atlantis the city left Antarctica several million years ago.
    They sent Destiny off from Earth at the peak of the Ancient Civilisation. Sometime when they occupied the Milky Way.

They sent Atlantis off from Earth to Pegasus to escape the Plague. Sometime near the end of their residency of the Milky Way.

It's a pretty good guess that Destiny is older than Atlantis.

Comment

As I thought, the stones have 2-way capability, but that brings up the question of what Dr. Lee did when he must have been aboard the Destiny in Air pt 2.
      sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

look, while, yes, it would make sense for Sam AND McKay to work with Rush to fix the Destiny, the truth is that it would simply not work.

why?

because they can't fit the Deus Ex Machina from Atlantis through the Stargate...
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

look in atlantis, most of the damage was digital and well, mostly repaired by rerouting power and rewriting programms.

the destiny does not need expertise. it needs actual, physical materials that not even mckay of carter can pull out of thin air.

the wormhole drive thing is wrong: the ancients did make it work. zelenka merely finished the equations. still, its a gambling machine, with a more than real chance of blowing up the crowning jewel of one of the most advanced races. that's not very smart, neither an acceptable loss. it's why the ancients abandoned it in the first place.

also, i doubt many people would LIKE to body trade. it's extremely weird, but not even close to knowing that somebody else, somewhere, is walking in your body. and i do not like that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post
            As I thought, the stones have 2-way capability, but that brings up the question of what Dr. Lee did when he must have been aboard the Destiny in Air pt 2.
            We still don't know much about what Rush did (or did not) during its long or short LRC. Was he really put in charges by O'Neill?
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I would like to see how you would react if your father died right in front of you
              Her reaction to her father's death was realistic, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                look in atlantis, most of the damage was digital and well, mostly repaired by rerouting power and rewriting programms.

the destiny does not need expertise. it needs actual, physical materials that not even mckay of carter can pull out of thin air.
                That is true, but only partly so. While a major pressing matter is of course physical components (the CO2 scrubbers being the main one at the time), it would be helpful to get FULL control of the Destiny. Yeah, apparently Rush can tell the ship "we need this" or "we need that," but without being able to choose where they travel via FTL or stargate, they're NOT going to get home.

Rodney could analyze and work with the software of the ship to get around protocols BUT still maintain safety. We all saw that they were able to override the stargate lockout, but we also saw how that turned out. Rodney could likely make it so that rather than treat them like children, the ship would show them information about the destination and they could make an INFORMED decision.

Comment

question re the stones:

do we know how they work? i mean did anyone ever explain the "science" behind it like they've done with the stargate and zpms?

we know that the 2 persons' consciousnesses are converted to some form of energy and are being transferred back and forth almost instanteously across BILLIONS OF LIGHT YEARS..... (starting to sound like ascension, right?... but that's not my point)

my point being: with the Asgard database, the Ancient database and about 7 years or so of exposure to and study of various Alteran devices... do you think they would be able to enhance the LRCS to generate continual energy transfer (not just the one-shot transfer that it does now).... thus allowing people to send video transmissions back and forth?

i mean transfer of astronomically simple digital signals has got to be mind-blowingly more easy to do than transferring consciousnesses....

i think the hardest thing would be altering the LRCS to handle continual bi-directional signal relay...

of course, if they can manage this.... why not explore the LRCS further (again with the Ancient and Asgard databases) and figure out just exactly how they function...... then adapt that to say, oh, i don't know............ a stargate? okay, i'm getting ahead of myself... but seriously, the 2-way audio/video transfer should be workable...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                    question re the stones:

do we know how they work? i mean did anyone ever explain the "science" behind it like they've done with the stargate and zpms?

we know that the 2 persons' consciousnesses are converted to some form of energy and are being transferred back and forth almost instanteously across BILLIONS OF LIGHT YEARS..... (starting to sound like ascension, right?... but that's not my point)

my point being: with the Asgard database, the Ancient database and about 7 years or so of exposure to and study of various Alteran devices... do you think they would be able to enhance the LRCS to generate continual energy transfer (not just the one-shot transfer that it does now).... thus allowing people to send video transmissions back and forth?

i mean transfer of astronomically simple digital signals has got to be mind-blowingly more easy to do than transferring consciousnesses....

i think the hardest thing would be altering the LRCS to handle continual bi-directional signal relay...

of course, if they can manage this.... why not explore the LRCS further (again with the Ancient and Asgard databases) and figure out just exactly how they function...... then adapt that to say, oh, i don't know............ a stargate? okay, i'm getting ahead of myself... but seriously, the 2-way audio/video transfer should be workable...
                    I'm going to throw "Quantum Entanglement" out there, with very little understanding of it, but some brief understanding that it could possibly allow FTL communication.

Hopefully, someone more versed in the knowledge, or someone able to accurately read up on it, will be able to go further in depth, and hopefully not stumble upon something that makes me look like a fool

Basically, if you entangle two particles together, and move them lightyears apart, if you turn one of them "on", the other will also turn "on" or something.

A more complex version of that could allow for instantanious transport of information (and conciousness) over vast distances, without any time delay.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                      I'm going to throw "Quantum Entanglement" out there, with very little understanding of it, but some brief understanding that it could possibly allow FTL communication.

Hopefully, someone more versed in the knowledge, or someone able to accurately read up on it, will be able to go further in depth, and hopefully not stumble upon something that makes me look like a fool

Basically, if you entangle two particles together, and move them lightyears apart, if you turn one of them "on", the other will also turn "on" or something.

A more complex version of that could allow for instantanious transport of information (and conciousness) over vast distances, without any time delay.
                      cool... well... let's apply that to modding the LRCS to accept digital a/v signals...

Comment

We all know the stones are there for 1 reason plot twists /guest stars proberly at the same time. I disagree that Sam or Rodney would be the first allowed to use it. Military types are always the first guys on scene before anyone thats the way they like it so they can excerzie there authority and make sure they are in control

Comment

Having read through the thread I've got to agree with the majority opinion that the best use for the 5 stones right now would be to get the foremost acient tech experts on the case.

So sure Dr Rush may know his stuff, but whats better than 1 acient tech expert trying to fix a critically damaged ship?

6 acient tech experts trying to fix a critically damaged ship!!!!

Now in fairness to the writers in the episode time frame, barely a day has passed, so logistically transporting and briefing Rodney, Carter and Zalenka etc... would take time, BUT

If they ignore this obvious line of help for an entire season, or dont write the stones out then the writters need to ask themselves some serious questions as to how much do they want to piss off the fans off, or how stupid do they think we are?
                          I got nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by akuma07 View Post
                            Having read through the thread I've got to agree with the majority opinion that the best use for the 5 stones right now would be to get the foremost acient tech experts on the case.

So sure Dr Rush may know his stuff, but whats better than 1 acient tech expert trying to fix a critically damaged ship?

6 acient tech experts trying to fix a critically damaged ship!!!!

Now in fairness to the writers in the episode time frame, barely a day has passed, so logistically transporting and briefing Rodney, Carter and Zalenka etc... would take time, BUT

If they ignore this obvious line of help for an entire season, or dont write the stones out then the writters need to ask themselves some serious questions as to how much do they want to piss off the fans off, or how stupid do they think we are?
                            I think the damage the Destiny has sustained is more mechanical than anything else, McKay's/Carter's knowledge of Ancient programming, such as rerouting power, which crystals perform which function, etc, won't come in much use when there's a giant hole in the side of the ship

What we need isn't knowledge, but raw materials.

It'll be like asking a mathmatician at NASA to repair the side of the rocket manually. He's not a mechanic, he simply works out the equations and forumlas needed in the construction, not the actual construction.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                              I think the damage the Destiny has sustained is more mechanical than anything else, McKay's/Carter's knowledge of Ancient programming, such as rerouting power, which crystals perform which function, etc, won't come in much use when there's a giant hole in the side of the ship

What we need isn't knowledge, but raw materials.

It'll be like asking a mathmatician at NASA to repair the side of the rocket manually. He's not a mechanic, he simply works out the equations and forumlas needed in the construction, not the actual construction.
                              I completely agree that most of the critical damage appears to be physical, and therefore raw materials are needed at present.

But surely only having one person who truely understands acient trying to figure out the entire ships systems that do still work when you can have more seems wrong.

As for your analogy of a mathmatician vs mechanic, at least the mathamatician in question speaks the language. So he stands a better chance of repairing the ship when he can read whats wrong.
                              I got nothing!

Comment

As I've said before, if they want to get out of the super-hero mold they used for Carter, McKay, and Zelenka they simply cannot bring those characters on to fix the ship.

TPTB have already established that the knowledge those three possess is defined by the problem at hand rather than by their backgrounds. Case in point: Carter the astrophysicist, engineer, doctor, and starship commander. With the way the characters always know what they need to in order to fix any problem, bringing them on board the Destiny kills any chance TPTB to have more believable characters and eliminates the entire idea of the wrong people trying to fix the problems.
                                Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Working...
                                X