No announcement yet.

Disrespectful uniforms and Greer's rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They kinda ran thru a gate under attack with no change of clothes. I dont think if give a crap about dress regs in their circumstances and no competent CO would either. This is fantasy suspend ur disbelief alittle.

Comment

Fact-checking has never been a high priority on the Stargates. They were best on SG1, slacked on SGA (well, not on Earth and all) and I can't wait to hear your response on one particular outfit in next week's episode.

Comment

Carter went from Captain to full-bird Colonel in 10 years which is quite something, especially for a woman. It could be that serving within the SGC means faster advancement.
        Well, Carter did save the planet dozens of times and the entire galaxy more than a handful... you would have to be pretty damn sexist (to an extreme degree) to not promote someone after that.

Comment

Ya, I can see you're point with Greer's rank. And I'm still confused on what branch Greer is actually in. Rush has said he was in the Army, others have said he's in the Marines. I'm assuming Marines since that's his uniform...As far as ACUs go (ABUs in Air Force), only the civilians wore those offworld and naturally they're not going to wear those correctly one bit. They'll look like a 100 ROTC class.

And I really don't think an Air Force Col. or Lt. is going to care if an enlisted Marine is off a tad with the uniform in such a situation. As the series goes on and the situation aboard the ship improves, I'm sure these things will follow real-world rules more accurately.

And the SGC has always had different uniforms after about Season 4 or so on SG1. Especially on Atlantis, it's only fair to assume even newer uniforms are being used on a secret base the SGC has set up offworld. From what I can see throughout the history of the show, the SGC is slowly breaking away from the USAF and becoming it's own mini-branch within the US military.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
            They kinda ran thru a gate under attack with no change of clothes. I dont think if give a crap about dress regs in their circumstances and no competent CO would either. This is fantasy suspend ur disbelief alittle.
            Again, if that was the stated case on the show - or if they make a mention of such a thing later - then I'll accept it. But as it stands no such thing has been explained and there was no reason to put any of them in camo to begin with, especially since they were wearing it wrong to be of any use.

The production staff just wanted to show off digis. If they wanted to do that they should have done the research and done it right. It's still disrespectful.

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk View Post
              Again, if that was the stated case on the show - or if they make a mention of such a thing later - then I'll accept it. But as it stands no such thing has been explained and there was no reason to put any of them in camo to begin with, especially since they were wearing it wrong to be of any use.

The production staff just wanted to show off digis. If they wanted to do that they should have done the research and done it right. It's still disrespectful.
              Oh, for the love of God. Did the whole "we don't have provisions" thing not get through? Do you explicitly want them to say "Hey, I don't have fresh underwear", when they don't even have food?

Also, why wear desert camo in the desert? Really, is that what you're asking? If nothing else, it actually works better than frigging BLACK, as Scott's experience showed.

Honestly, you're now just picking at it because you're incapable of backing down.

Comment

Im in the navy and TBH I don't care if I saw some civvy wondering around not in the correct uniform, Id just pass it up as not knowing and not needing to know. I've seen civvies walking around in navy working rig which is ironed incorectly but it is of no problem for me unless they wore the head gear (I take pride in my Blue berret as much as the marines do with there green berrets). But if I saw them walking around with rank insignias and issuing orders to people as if they were in the military I would.

Also if an officer told me to lower my weapon I would look into the curcumstance and use my own judgement, but in that situation I would not have even raised the weapon as I have been strictly trained about the use of unnesacery force and I wouldn't have even drawn out my baton against Rush. TBH if I saw the Sergeant aiming his weapon at Rush id probably aim mine at him.
                if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by Tripgate View Post
                  Ya, I can see you're point with Greer's rank. And I'm still confused on what branch Greer is actually in. Rush has said he was in the Army, others have said he's in the Marines. I'm assuming Marines since that's his uniform...As far as ACUs go (ABUs in Air Force), only the civilians wore those offworld and naturally they're not going to wear those correctly one bit. They'll look like a 100 ROTC class.

And I really don't think an Air Force Col. or Lt. is going to care if an enlisted Marine is off a tad with the uniform in such a situation. As the series goes on and the situation aboard the ship improves, I'm sure these things will follow real-world rules more accurately.

And the SGC has always had different uniforms after about Season 4 or so on SG1. Especially on Atlantis, it's only fair to assume even newer uniforms are being used on a secret base the SGC has set up offworld. From what I can see throughout the history of the show, the SGC is slowly breaking away from the USAF and becoming it's own mini-branch within the US military.
                  Rush, like most people, don't understand the difference between the Army and Marines. That's understandable.

According to the production notes he's defined as a Marine. If he was an Amry MSgt it would be a bit more believable.

mea culpa, ABUs. I got the two acronyms backwards

Again, I guess my problem with it isn't really in-universe. It's with the production decision. Even if they use the limited resources reasoning I still find it wrong. I don't know many of the regs behind the ACU/ABU and the Navy's new cammies but I do know that ours follow much stricter guidelines. There's a reason you'll almost never see a Marine in cammies out in town; we have strict regulations on their wear and appearance. Any half decent military adviser on the show would have told the producers "hey you might not want to put those characters in ABUs instead, you'll piss off the jarheads if you **** with their EGA".

Comment

i can suspend too

i mean if you want to get right down to it, greer was in the wrong to still be wearing his blood stained uniform.

but it's all he had

as such i'm not fussed about the uniforms. Even in SGA, Sam made a point to say that the regs were a bit relaxed - impled that since they had to have everything transported via a ship - after being cut off for 2 years - you made due with what you had and didn't fuss details

No one has mentioned the fabeled 38 minute window,b ut these folks got assigned a mission that had a hard and fast 12 hour deadline, no matter if it took them 5 minutes or 5 hours to get things together.

these folks likely had 10 minutes to change and gather their gear.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a6346 View Post
                      Im in the navy and TBH I don't care if I saw some civvy wondering around not in the correct uniform,
                      That's because you're in the Navy. We go through a hell of a lot more to earn our uniforms. Our have the EGA embedded into the design; it's a touch more meaningful to us than such things are to the other branches. It's one of the things that makes us different.
                      Id just pass it up as not knowing and not needing to know. I've seen civvies walking around in navy working rig which is ironed incorectly but it is of no problem for me unless they wore the head gear (I take pride in my Blue berret as much as the marines do with there green berrets).
                      We don't have berets.
                      But if I saw them walking around with rank insignias and issuing orders to people as if they were in the military I would.

Also if an officer told me to lower my weapon I would look into the curcumstance and use my own judgement,
                      Say hello to a ninja punch. A direct order is a direct order. It's not the same as an order from the Chief.

Comment

Like a friend of mine just pointed out, the uniforms have been 'wrong' since season 1 of SG1

Sam not wearing her cover off world, same iwth jack sometimes
                        All the tanktops worn in season 7
                        teal'c's 'muscle shirts' worn with his fatigues
                        vala's custom tailored hip hugger fatigues with a flared leg
                        jack not wearing a t-shirt under his blouse in Hathor

etc, etc, etc

it's not something i fuss over, especially in the case of Air 3 when those civilians had maybe 10 minutes to change from their very inappropriate civvie clothes to something more appropriate to being off -world
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

wow another thread about people picking away at the little things...surprise surprise

Comment

In a situation like that, clothing isnt anywhere on the priority list

Greer's rank is possible if he knows someone high up, and he probably does since his punishment wasnt anything serious (although we dont know what he did, but im assuming its something really bad from how crazy he acts)

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                              wow another thread about people picking away at the little things...surprise surprise
                              Yes, completely unheard of in sci-fi fandom. o_O

Are you new?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat1487 View Post
                                In a situation like that, clothing isnt anywhere on the priority list

Greer's rank is possible if he knows someone high up, and he probably does since his punishment wasnt anything serious (although we dont know what he did, but im assuming its something really bad from how crazy he acts)
                                Even knowing someone high up wouldn't make his rank possible. There are time in service/grade requirements plus a number of other things that even the Commandant himself wouldn't ignore.

It's another case of the creators banking off the military aspect without actually caring about the details. It's ok to make money off our image but god forbid we ask to be portrayed properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X