Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
    Hahhah iDHD...awesome!

Nah I believe that since the Destiny is in a relatively fixed position, the iDHD's simply get sent the updated PoO reference and it simply dials a 7 chevron gate address as normal.

IMO!

Your guess is as good as mine. I imagine that the iDHD be used on any gate. It may even be the precursor to that thing Cassandra (in 1969) or Thor (in Small Victories) used to auto-dial the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
      Your guess is as good as mine. I imagine that the iDHD be used on any gate. It may even be the precursor to that thing Cassandra (in 1969) or Thor (in Small Victories) used to auto-dial the gate.
      Yeah could be...

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
      : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
        Well you think they might have put DHD's there for the races who actually live on these planets to use.
        Not giving them a DHD is rather rude:

"Hi we are the Ancients, our automated ship which just entered your space without permission is going to drop a potentially dangerous device called a Stargate onto your planet whether you want it or not. Oh and by the way, we are not going to give you the means to use it, and will be using teh Stargate to invade you in the Future, Bye!"

How rude!

My only guess would be that DHD's were not invented when the Destiny was sent off?
        Well, the Universe Stargates can only connect to around 4~ Stargates anyway, seeing as they're less advanced. We don't know what the exact range is for the Stargates. So, they wouldn't be able to roam the galaxy with the Gates/

So, it stands to reason, the lack of DHD is just so primitive races wont be able to access the Gates, and either harm themselves or others. Hopefully, the races that are able to work the Gates would be wise/smart enough to not to endanger themselves, or to interfere maliciously with a less-advanced race.

Plus, if they're advanced enough, they may very well have developed FTL/Hyperdrive, allowing them access to the nearby Gated planets already.

And, what use would a less advanced race have with travelling to other planets? If they're anything like the Air/ Sandy planet, it seems rather inhospitable. The only thing I can think of would be for any precious minerals/ compounds like oil. However, if the Ancients did give them access to a oil-rich planet, it could be argued they're interfering with the development of the race. Something which I believe they must have kept to even before ascending, like the Prime Directive on Star Trek.

And really, Stargates are hardly dangerous. Apart from when Sokar blew ours up, which would be highly unlikely in Universe, given the short range of the Gates, and the lack of Ancient Gate Exploding device. And the Blackhole Gate, which again, given the short range of the Gates isn't an issue.

Really, the ancients put the Gates there for their own use, to study/ meet new races. After which, they would either have left the race alone, or possibly formed an alliance/ trade with them, and replaced the Gates with a more accessable one, accompanined with DHD, after they deemed they possed no threat to themselves/ the Galaxy at large.

Sort of like a Duck Blind, allowing us to observe animals, but not interfeer with them. Sure, the ducks could use them for their own ends, but it's primarily for our own use.

(I doubt the Ancients would use the Gates for hunting the local inhabitants though, so this metaphor is slightly flawed...)

Comment

perhaps the ancinets didnt want just anyone using the gates, only people who can figure the gates out can use them.

or the ancients intended using the gates later on by themselves and themselves only.

Comment

All I know is that its a sad day when returning to base no longer means 'ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! whirrrrrrr-WHOOOOSH!'

I think I'll miss the DHD's if they're gone for this series.
            "All I wanna do is see the universe and eat pie"
            "Who doesn't?"

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              perhaps the ancinets didnt want just anyone using the gates, only people who can figure the gates out can use them.

or the ancients intended using the gates later on by themselves and themselves only.
              Or maybe it's because the Ancients didn't want just anybody using those gates. Maybe it's another security feature for the Ancients, to prevent the Goa'uld/Ori/Wraith (or for that matter even their allies the Nox/Furlings/Asgard) from gaining access to gates that far out in the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by eliteaceman View Post
                1st thing i noticed was... no DHD....

So does that mean no other race would be able to access the stargates? They would have to have remotes....

Or maybe future planets will have DHD's who knows :-)
                Yeah, I guess if there are no DHD's in the later episodes, then its likely that the ancients put DHD's there at a later stage.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                  Well, the Universe Stargates can only connect to around 4~ Stargates anyway, seeing as they're less advanced. We don't know what the exact range is for the Stargates. So, they wouldn't be able to roam the galaxy with the Gates
                  Uhh where is it ever said/implied that Destiny's gate can only connect to 4 gates? They say that there are 4 other addresses within range of where the ship stopped to dial the desert planet, but they never say or even imply that those other four addresses are the only gates that they can possibly ever dial. Sure, they don't have the power to dial gates in other galaxies (8 chevron address) or back to Earth but it stands to reason that wherever Destiny stops there will be gates in the galaxy they are in that will be accessible.

I have to agree with the earlier posts that the SG:U gates are obviously older than the Milky Way gates (since they were the first invented I assume). I have to wonder though, if the SG:U gates aren't the generic gate that gets deposited (sans DHD) by the seeder ships as they moved galaxy to galaxy, and that then when the Ancients colonized a new galaxy, they update the gates and add DHDs (i.e. why the Pegasus gates look more advanced than the SG:U and SG-1 gates, and have DHDs).

Comment

Originally posted by BHZuliss View Post
                    Uhh where is it ever said/implied that Destiny's gate can only connect to 4 gates? They say that there are 4 other addresses within range of where the ship stopped to dial the desert planet, but they never say or even imply that those other four addresses are the only gates that they can possibly ever dial. Sure, they don't have the power to dial gates in other galaxies (8 chevron address) or back to Earth but it stands to reason that wherever Destiny stops there will be gates in the galaxy they are in that will be accessible.

In range would generally imply that they are the only ones they can dial whilst they've stopped. Otherwise why bother mentioning there are only 4 other Gates nearby? Distance wouldn't be a factor if they could dial any Gate in the Galaxy.

Also, Joe said on his blog that the Gates only had a limited range. They're basically proto-Gates, so the range is severely limitted, as opposed to the Gates we're used to that can dial virtually anywhere in the Galaxy.

Comment

In range would generally imply that they are the only ones they can dial whilst they've stopped. Otherwise why bother mentioning there are only 4 other Gates nearby? Distance wouldn't be a factor if they could dial any Gate in the Galaxy.

Also, Joe said on his blog that the Gates only had a limited range. They're basically proto-Gates, so the range is severely limitted, as opposed to the Gates we're used to that can dial virtually anywhere in the Galaxy.
                      Ah true, I hadn't read that blog about the gates being older, but that does support my idea of the SG:U gates being the generic seeder gates, and that when they colonized that they would update the gate and add DHD's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Domino View Post
                        All I know is that its a sad day when returning to base no longer means 'ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! ker-chunk! whirrrrrrr-WHOOOOSH!'

Aw, you forgot the best part. "...ker-chunk! meh meh whirrrrrrr-WHOOOOSH!" I'm not quite sure how to spell the sound, refer to 1:02 in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Domino View Post

Yeah the DHD is the quintessential method for "dialing" up the gate. The iDHD's are just too new tech style in such old tech deployment!

Comment

maybe the Ancients were hit by a recession and just couldnt afford DHDs

Look Telc agrees!
                            sigpic
                            First time using GIMP2 can't say its not a bad job
                            MGM, Sci-Fi Channel and the Creators are

I'll only watch SGU coz theres nowt to do on tuesday nites.

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                              Yeah the DHD is the quintessential method for "dialing" up the gate. The iDHD's are just too new tech style in such old tech deployment!
                              I wonder if an iDHD could work with a Milky Way or Pegasus Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                                I wonder if an iDHD could work with a Milky Way or Pegasus Gate.
                                Well we have to consider that at least four other races (Asgard, Nox, Goa'uld and Ascended Ancients) have established wormholes without the need for a DHD. So the gate itself may be able to accept commands through a remote device directly.

I always wondered how they generated the power necessary. Perhaps it was drawn from the regular channels and that they just initiated a dialing sequence?!

Comment

Working...
                                X