Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, finally got a chance to sit down and watch it...

I guess I'll start with the nice thing- way to go TJ! Good for her for standing up for her patient. Doctor's higher calling and all that.

After that, I've got nothing. That was not Stargate in any way, shape or form. They used the stargate to travel, but that was not the show I know.

First, we had some weird sand alien that was eating water and for some reason led Scott to the limestone, and yet we didn't bother to learn anything about it? When did we ever just ignore the aliens in Stargate?

Second, Greer is a joke. "Angry Black Man." He's a caricature and that's insulting. The fact is, they're ALL caricatures! There is no dimension to these people at all, nothing redeemable. I don't see depth, or potential for growth for any of them except Rush, which brings me to my third point:

This whole, "We all hate Rush" the crew seems to have going on is not getting old, it IS old! I don't care to watch him having to defend himself every time he has an idea, especially now that he was the one who insisted that they go to the limestone planet which has now gotten them air. This constant argument is not entertainment to me.

I hate how negative I am being about this show. It truly breaks my heart. Clearly this show has found an audience, but the audience is definitely not me. I have been watching Stargate since day 1 and I did not recognize this show at all. I'll give it one more week, but that's it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
      Ok, finally got a chance to sit down and watch it...

I guess I'll start with the nice thing- way to go TJ! Good for her for standing up for her patient. Doctor's higher calling and all that.

After that, I've got nothing. That was not Stargate in any way, shape or form. They used the stargate to travel, but that was not the show I know.

First, we had some weird sand alien that was eating water and for some reason led Scott to the limestone, and yet we didn't bother to learn anything about it? When did we ever just ignore the aliens in Stargate?

Second, Greer is a joke. "Angry Black Man." He's a caricature and that's insulting. The fact is, they're ALL caricatures! There is no dimension to these people at all, nothing redeemable. I don't see depth, or potential for growth for any of them except Rush, which brings me to my third point:

This whole, "We all hate Rush" the crew seems to have going on is not getting old, it IS old! I don't care to watch him having to defend himself every time he has an idea, especially now that he was the one who insisted that they go to the limestone planet which has now gotten them air. This constant argument is not entertainment to me.

I hate how negative I am being about this show. It truly breaks my heart. Clearly this show has found an audience, but the audience is definitely not me. I have been watching Stargate since day 1 and I did not recognize this show at all. I'll give it one more week, but that's it.
      ...it's a dust devil that vanished after helping Scott, and we had a pretty massive time constraint... I think we can let it slide this one time, no?
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        ...it's a dust devil that vanished after helping Scott, and we had a pretty massive time constraint... I think we can let it slide this one time, no?
        But we're always going to have the time constraint, so this one time indicates to me that we're never going to get to know any other species out there. We're going to have to let it slide for the duration of the show. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.
        sigpic

Comment

But we're always going to have the time constraint, so this one time indicates to me that we're never going to get to know any other species out there. We're going to have to let it slide for the duration of the show. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.
          But in this case, getting the lime back was much more important than sticking around to talk to the alien... I mean, it'd be pretty moronic for Scott to go "You know what, screw the lime! I'm gonna stay and get to know this creature!" in this case, no?
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Hmm, I dunno. What I'm expecting is that there will be some alien species (over the course of SGU) that we do learn a bit about, and then there'll be the mysterious ones like the dust-devil lifeform in "Air".

I sort of like the ambiguity at times, and I'm okay with not always having a straight answer...as it can lead to interesting discussion and speculation.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

I don't even think it was an alien. I think it was all part of Scott's hallucination
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I don't even think it was an alien. I think it was all part of Scott's hallucination
                Bingo.
                If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Sand... sand... and more sand. A little bit too slow going for my liking in parts but the character moments were well-done. What I like best is that no one is quite what you think they are from when you first meet them.
                  Despite how slowly things unfolded here, I still found it oddly compelling. We never found out what the mysterious mini whirlwind was and the show managed to delve into a bit of backstory into two characters. I think the first three parts have given a good sense of what kind of show this is. And it will be different and whether long-time fans will embrace this difference remains to be seen.
                  It sort of made me a little sad really when I think of how the characters in Atlantis could have been fleshed out in such a manner but never were.

Probably none too relevant... but I liked the fact that the people who were out in the sun actually looked like they were sunburnt.

Final note: I loved the soundtrack and that great tune at the end. First time I've really noticed the soundtrack in Stargate since "Before I Sleep".
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    exactly. they don't have only one 'team' to go off world. they have 80+ people. or they could have at least LOOKED at the other planets. You can get a lot done in 12 hours.
                    But even dialing them may be problematic. What if one of the planets is now next to a blackhole or something? What if one of the planets is constantly being swept by a pulsar beam and every few seconds the planet gets a blast of deadly radiation that gets translated through the Stargate? It could happen.

I may be 'demanding' too much from them given that they've been shipwrecked for a day or two, but there's a ship full of scientists and military and civilians whose jobs are to think outside of the box....even if the other options weren't totally doable, they could have been mentioned and dismissed.
                    But that is a waste of time. If the only reason to mention these other options is to shoot them down, then they are irrelevant and the time spent on them should be used for other things. They only have 42 minutes, after all.

Perhaps you can just assume that they said it offscreen and were promply shot down. To take into consideration every possibility, especially when most of them are obviously not gonna work out, takes a lot more time than you think, and a lot of boring exposition.

Your point about Rush trusting the ship too much is interesting. I'm pretty sure that's the whole point, and it's a very integral part of his personality.

Comment

Originally posted by Vortez View Post
                      I've found this ep. terribly boring... They really messed up the show. No action, dull jokes, crying, more crying... Someone said he was on the edge of is seat, i really wonder why, atlantis was making me this effect, but this, watching ppl walking in a desert for 30 min + the patetic romance part, it's like really boring. if this continue im gonna stop watching this crap. This is suppose to be a SCI-FI show, not a romatic dull show for girls...
                      It seems that many people has misunderstood TPTB and thought that this show will be for a young audience instead of a younger audience. So far it seems, that the majority of young boys still prefers kaboom to drama. Maybe this will be more for grownups than the previous two shows were.
                      sigpic

Comment

I freaking LOVE the new show, almost pee my pants waiting for the next episode!
                        sigpic
                        I am a geek and proud.

Comment

Honestly I'm not sure what to think of SGU so far. I was really looking forward to it despite being bitter about Atlantis's cancellation, but i haven't been blown away so far. I think i need to get used to the new style, and i am going to keep watching, some of the future eps sound amazing, hopefully i won't be too disappointed, and hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer before we find out more on the alien ship that flew off the hull of the Destiny right at the end.

Comment

watch bsg and you'll get used to sgu
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              watch bsg and you'll get used to sgu
                              Do you really have to encourage the SGU=BSG hypothesis?
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I think that SGU is going to be a really good series. I just like to see there is another scottish character in it

Comment

Working...
                                X