Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I blame the Freudian slip
    yes, underwear can be distracting. especially if it asks "about your mother"
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Shadowdancer View Post
      I don't think that you can disagree that Young volunteered to sacrifice himself, can you?
      You must have missed the point I was making. As I said in my original post, it took an injured-dying guy to make the sacrifice. Even though he was a military man, Young was still an injured guy. It still feels cheap to me. Both men were badly injured.

Comment

This is part of the reason I like rush. He had the right idea. No matter how inhumane it sounds I think his idea of value was correct in a situation like that. If someone had to sacrifice themselves You wouldn't want someone like rush doing it. You would want one of the people who dont have that much to offer.

In that situation I think you can ask someone to sacrifice themselves.
        Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
        ---
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
          You must have missed the point I was making. As I said in my original post, it took an injured-dying guy to make the sacrifice. Even though he was a military man, Young was still an injured guy. It still feels cheap to me. Both men were badly injured.
          Sorry, I guess I did miss that point.

But also what I meant, although didn't actually say very clearly, was that Young didn't seem to volunteer because he was injured. He said that as he was the commanding officer, he wouldn't ask anyone under his command to sacrifice himself for him, and that it was his duty, which I took to be from his rank, rather than his injury.

Again, I didn't get the impression that the situation had been shared with the rest of the military at all.

Comment

Blue Shadowdancer,
            I am about to view part 2 one more time. Maybe I will see what others saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Shadowdancer View Post
              Sorry, I guess I did miss that point.

But also what I meant, although didn't actually say very clearly, was that Young didn't seem to volunteer because he was injured. He said that as he was the commanding officer, he wouldn't ask anyone under his command to sacrifice himself for him, and that it was his duty, which I took to be from his rank, rather than his injury.

Again, I didn't get the impression that the situation had been shared with the rest of the military at all.
              Yeah, I agree with everything you've said in your last few posts. I didn't get the impression that most of the military knew about what was being discussed.

Furthermore, Young did (quite selflessly) proclaim that it was his duty as commanding officer to do it and to not command anyone else to. And this was after Tamara was trying to urge him that he would be okay and that he was blowing his injury out of proportion.
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                Rush seems to show the ability to compartmentalize things for the sake of his sanity. This is a trait you actually find in many members of the military. You'll notice the military members reaction to what rush was saying was far different from the civilian reaction.

Rush is the kind of genius that can separate his rational from his emotional mind. He is more Einstein than Oppenheimer.
                This is also a trait that's encouraged in the law enforcement field. My supervising ranger said than when things get tense and emotional, it's good to step back, take the emotion completely out of the situation, ask yourself (and perhaps others) some questions, and stick with pure facts. When it comes to making decisions, that's always a good call.

Now when it comes to enforcing those decisions and handling the consequences, that's when emotion gets put back into the picture. You're not going to be able to get very far enforcing the law to a 300-pound guy on crack if you don't use some degree of emotional and physical force.
                sigpic

Comment

I thought this was probably the worst part of the episode. Their all about to die, desperately trying to find a solution so they start having some ridiculous argument over the morality issues. So BSG, it's crazy.

The best thing about Stargate had always been that it didn't get itself bogged down in silly morality tales and "metaphor" plots like so many other Sci-Fi shows, rather it just concentrated on a good story.

It looks like that show so many of us loved has ended

Comment

Originally posted by Candy88 View Post
                    I thought this was probably the worst part of the episode. Their all about to die, desperately trying to find a solution so they start having some ridiculous argument over the morality issues. So BSG, it's crazy.

The best thing about Stargate had always been that it didn't get itself bogged down in silly morality tales and "metaphor" plots like so many other Sci-Fi shows, rather it just concentrated on a good story.

Your kidding right?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

...please tell me you're kidding? Good science fiction is supposed to be all about morality issues! That's why B-movie "slice and dice in space" flicks get horrible reviews, because true sci-fi is about so much more than that.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The Other Side............. just one of many
                        no means no, and so does pepper spray
                        Sig by The Carpenter
                        sigpic

Comment

You are aware that virtually every single SG-1 episode had some kind of "morality tale" in one form or another, right? The entire Goa'uld War plot line and the Ori Crusade was a morality tale and a metaphor about false gods and false religion. That's virtually every single episode in the entire series.
                          sigpic

Comment

Especially since stargate has had MANY of those. From the 'do we interfere in this planets way of law, cause i don't like their sexism (SG1 emancipation) to do i talk this guy into sacrificing himself to a wraith, to save a friend...

Comment

As opposed to not recognising the morality issue at hand or dealing with it?

Because determining whether or not to sacrifice the life of a person for the lives of 80 shouldn't be discussed or thought about or anything?

And as most everyone has pointed out, Stargate has done the "ridiculous argument over the morality issues" thing countless times already.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                                And as most everyone has pointed out, Stargate has done the "ridiculous argument over the morality issues" thing countless times already.
                                Yes, but logic and reasoned arguments don't apply to SGU. We've learned this over the past few months many times over
                                Sig by Pandora's Box
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X