Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
    Without reading everything else.

The Senator was already dying and gave his life for his daughter and the other people, in that order. Not to say it wasn't noble, but not exactly the same as a healthy soldier dying for people he or she doesn't know.
    So he was ... mostly ... dead?

Gee, death of any kind is a pretty final and personal experience, whatever your noble reasons. Red shirts die all the time without any acknowledgment at all in this show.

I don't know. His injuries didn't look as severe as his heart problem. Do you think Chloe will ever have guilt issues having taken his medication or will she keep blaming Rush?

Comment

It would appear he had a heart condition that compounded his internal bleeding. He was "dead on his feet"

From the little bit we are told about his character and what we witness, I doubt he would have sacrificed himself if he were in good health!
      sigpic

Comment

It would appear he had a heart condition that compounded his internal bleeding. He was "dead on his feet"

From the little bit we are told about his character and what we witness, I doubt he would have sacrificed himself if he were in good health!
        Most of us would hold out hope for recovery rather than choose to die to save others. The fact that he was in poor shape does nothing to lesses his sacrifice. I see nothing in his previous actions to indicate that he would have behaved with more self-interest had he been healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          ...you watched Atlantis, right...? There were a few enormous moral and ethical faults there...
          The trouble with those faults was that they were never called. The expedition did lots of dubious things, with no guilt or anything - and it didn't to me seem that the audience was even supposed to notice them. The only time they were partly called out on them, in 'Inquisition', well, you all know how that turned out

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
            Most of us would hold out hope for recovery rather than choose to die to save others. The fact that he was in poor shape does nothing to lesses his sacrifice. I see nothing in his previous actions to indicate that he would have behaved with more self-interest had he been healthy.
            I don't think it matters if he was healthy or not. The senator obviously did it to save his daughter. To him she was more important then his life.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

You do know that the money for Icarus project was coming from California, thus the economic troubles of that state. So perhaps the Senator had a...dark side
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlee View Post
                the Senator giving up his life & the "i love you" to Chloe was a very good and moving scene i was not expecting.
                I think Chloe was the only one he was thinking of when he decided to forfeit his life, not everyone else. There are some bad people in the world who couldn't give two stuffs for their neighbours, but would give their lives for their kids without a second thought. I'm not saying the Senator was a bad man...just that his actions don't automatically make him a real hero.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                  You do know that the money for Icarus project was coming from California, thus the economic troubles of that state. So perhaps the Senator had a...dark side
                  over 1 billion dollars, he was risking his career, if someone looked into it, he'd have to step down because he couldnt reveal the stargate program

Comment

Originally posted by Legend11 View Post
                    I think Chloe was the only one he was thinking of when he decided to forfeit his life, not everyone else. There are some bad people in the world who couldn't give two stuffs for their neighbours, but would give their lives for their kids without a second thought. I'm not saying the Senator was a bad man...just that his actions don't automatically make him a real hero.
                    I don't qualify those as 'bad people'. That statement comes across as very religiously charged. Of course you are going to care more about your kids than your 'neighbors', especially considering a lot of people are *******s. There are people I would put myself in danger for (not just my family) and people I most definately wouldn't, including people I've never met (and some who I have), but that doesn't make me a bad person.

Comment

Heroes...in SGU.

What a contradiction.

That's like asking are there heroes in Heroes.
                      DUH, NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                        Heroes...in SGU

What a contradiction..
                        It really depends on what one's definition of the word 'heroes' is. The SGA idea seemed to be people who ran around with guns and caused big explosions.
                        sigpic

Comment

Heroes...in SGU.

What a contradiction.

That's like asking are there heroes in Heroes.
                          DUH, NO.
                          TPTB already told us the people on the destiny aren't going to be "heroes".....

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                            It really depends on what one's definition of the word 'heroes' is. The SGA idea seemed to be people who ran around with guns and caused big explosions.
                            My definition of a Hero is a person that saves lives but doesn't take them.
                            aka, Firemen and Firewomen.
                            aka, Paramedics, perhaps chariable oragnizations
                            They do no harm.

Everyone else merely acts heroicly.
                            Police, military,etc

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                            TPTB already told us the people on the destiny aren't going to be "heroes".....
                            True to their word...

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              "Something something DARK SIDE!

Something something NOW COMPLETE!"

I think the Senator was great. Christopher MacDonald often plays that arrogant kind of "villain" that Senator Armstrong seemed a bit like at first. He definitely redeemed himself though, at the end.

Comment

My definition of a Hero is a person that saves lives but doesn't take them.
                                aka, Firemen and Firewomen.
                                aka, Paramedics, perhaps chariable oragnizations
                                They do no harm.

Everyone else merely acts heroicly.
                                Police, military,etc
                                So a SWAT sniper who takes out a gunman holding hostages in a bank isn't a hero? How can someone act heroically but not be a hero? What other traits do they need to display?

Comment

Working...
                                X