Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Destiny's Battle damage?! (spoilers for parts 1 & 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
    I cant wait to meet whoever could do such terrible damage to such an impressive ship. Makes the Ori look tame imho.
    It's big, it doesn't neccesarily mean it's strong or powerful. For all we know a Goa'uld Hatak could take it down.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I think just wear and tear caused the Destiney to be in bad shape. Its been out for a long time so it makes sense that over time things would get broken
      i agree. I'm not saying that it can't be battle damage, but it could also be impacts with space garbage that has damaged the ship
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i agree wear and tear and the destiny didnt have any crew i wonder what kind of advanced tecnology is in the destiny? maybe the plans on making zpms'?

Comment

I can really see both arguments and so I think it is likely a combination of the two. The Destiny has been traveling through galaxy after galaxy for possibly hundreds of thousands of years or longer sending kinos to potentially inhabited planets, the ship is bound to run into a few people that aren't too happy about it.

Also, the ship isn't in great shape so the idea of asteroids seems possible although if the ship couldn't withstand astroids I would think it would have been destroyed a long long long time ago...but maybe in a weekened state.
          sigpic

Comment

Hang on, this ship was sent out to seed gates as far as possible - I'm guessing the ship didn't just spit gates out in hyperspace, she would have had to stop, plant the gate either on a planet or in an orbit, and then taken off again.

I'd imagine at least one of those stops is going to be slap bang in the middle of a battle, or at least at a planet with good ground to space or in-orbit defenses, who might shoot first and ask questions later.

And yeah, Rush did say that there was ascension before the intended crew actually made it. Having said that, I don't yet trust everything that comes out of the good Doctor's mouth

Either way, it's gonna be interesting finding out. I get a very Atlantis feel to the Destiny - lots of areas unexplored yet due to a lack of air. Except it's vacuum and not water that's blocking the path.

Comment

Battle damage would be visibly different than meteor impacts. If the ship was hit by energy weapons then parts of the hull would be melted or have scorch marks.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                Battle damage would be visibly different than meteor impacts. If the ship was hit by energy weapons then parts of the hull would be melted or have scorch marks.
                I've gotta be honest - I thought I did see scorch marks on the ship.
                Also, I would have expected that Destiny would be smart enough to avoid getting hit by meteors, surely it would have standard evasion routines at the very least.

I'm also thinking that the damage occurred to one of the two shuttle craft, may be an important detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Thors_wisdom View Post
                  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh but what a ship i was smitten with her the first moment i saw her
                  I think I hurled...it was fast...I don't remember.
                  I just know I wiped my mouth.

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
                  It is definitely not 50 million. It was sent after the Ancients were in MW. And they arrived in the MW several million years ago. It is probably a million or so years old.
                  And it is definitely not the evil Asgard. They are just reusing a prop most likely.
                  I concur. Reused prop.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  So I heard a couple mentions of the ship looking like it's battle-damaged in the premiere last night. I think that's a little ridiculous a conclusion to jump to, myself.

If the ship is so old that its CO2 scrubbers are burned out (on a ship that never even had a crew!!), and it travels faster-than-light without going into hyperspace--isn't about a thousand times more likely that it's just collision damage accumulated across the millennia it's been out there?

And is anyone else dying to know what that first leaking room they opened up was? It looked huge, staircases, big and open....
                  Good point, sir, CO2 burned out didn't make sense to me either after seen the air burst in before they gate in.

I believe it was battle damage. The ship seems intelligent enough not to collide with objects at sub light. FTL collisions would destroy the ship.
                  I think it was definitely attacked.

What I don't understand is why the ancients seeded galaxies with life first and then millions of years later seeded them with gates. Why no at the same time? Did they not have the tech?

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                  Well some random guy said it... doesn't mean it is true.

95% of the people on the ship are mindless sheep from what we saw in the pilot.
                  I'd have to concur.

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                    Well some random guy said it... doesn't mean it is true.

95% of the people on the ship are mindless sheep from what we saw in the pilot.
                    Yeah, until some situation arises that calls for some specific talent or skill that they happen to have. Bring on the situation that can only be solved by a guy who orders the paper-clips....

Comment

part of it looks like battle damage, but most of it seems to come from degrading over the years and the occasional wear and tear from space, like random tiny meteor #99 and space dust and cosmic rays

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                        What I don't understand is why the ancients seeded galaxies with life first and then millions of years later seeded them with gates. Why no at the same time? Did they not have the tech?
                        They only seeded life here and in pegasus. NOT all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mythophile View Post
                          I just want to know where the original crew is. Are they in suspended animation on board somewhere? Are they dead?
                          the ship was send unmanned out in space but the ancient were going to gate on it when it had reached some place but they had learned to ascend in the mean time so they never went to it

but as for the damage parts, they do drop out of FTL some times and maybe they dropped out over a planet whit advanced tech and when a ships drops out of FTL over your planet and does not answer any of your hails you will eventually open fire on it

Comment

Ok so if everyone says the ship is somewhere between 100k years and a million years older than Atlantis and the ancients didn't learn to ascend until right around the same time the ancients left Atlantis for the milky way. Why wouldn't they have gated to the ship in the time between when destiny left and the ancients left Atlantis. I mean rush said they must have learned to ascend but that's a TON of time between events, Well past their lifetimes.

There has to be some reason they didn't go to Destiny and it cant be because they learned to ascend. I mean hell when the ancients left Pegasus because of the wraith why wouldn't they send some ancients to the destiny. I mean that would be as good a place as any to ascend without distractions. I dunno there's a lot more to the story to come I'm sure.

Comment

Perhaps they thought it was a failure like a lot of their stuff had turned out to be.

Comment

This is all rush speculating too, its not like hes pointed to the screen and it said all this... Destiny could very well be older than our galaxy....

Comment

Working...
                                X