X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akuma07 View Post
    Hi people

I'm sure some of these topic's have already been covered over and over, but please remember this only premiered in the UK last night. (06/10/2009)

The Good

I enjoyed it start to finish. I enjoyed the darker atmosphere and I'm glad they ditched the constant slap stick humour found in atlantis.

The Destiny looks awesome, and I'm glad they were able to instantly fix it. I'm also glad they've finally presented a problem that cannot be fixed simply on a laptop, they are going to have to actually fix things the old fashioned way.

I like the cast, we all know if Rodney or Carter were there they have the ship fixed and turned around in no time at all, but this crew isn't currently skilled to fix aceint tech, which make the story going forward much more interesting.

The speical effects were as good as I've seen so far.

And finally Robert carlye was better than I though he was going to be.

The bad

Like the Hammond wouldn't have laid waste to the 3 mothership in no time at all. The beam weapons would have cut them down in seconds, so why didn't they? (of course the answer is the story wouldn't have worked otherwise, but its still a BIG ommision)

Other UK people that didn't download, wha do you think?
    I agree with a lot of what you said above, especially about the Hammond and the obvious lack of APBW's, I know it has been discussed in another thread but some line from Carter to explain the lack of APBW's like this is the only ship available (after the damage caused to the others in EatG) and is not fully complete, would have made a lot more sense.
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

Comment

I liked it! By the end of the second episode I was really getting into it!

Spoiler:
      I really wanted to see what they found on the planet. Was gutted when the episode ended!

I was also suprised at how well Carlisle (Carlyle?) was. I didn't have high hopes for him but he did a good job.

Eli was good as well. Those are the two characters that I got to like. I'm sure as the episodes go on and the characters develop that I'll start to love some and hate others.

I agree with the OP about how they can't just load up the computer or move a few crystals and have everything working. It's much better that they'll have to find different ways to fix their problems.

Unlike the OP though I kind of missed the comedy that Atlantis and SG1 had. There were a few funny moments -
      Spoiler:
      Trousers, The Toast and Blurry Vision.
      - but I wanted there to be more. I understand why there wasn't as much humor though. It certainly is darker than the previous shows and the comedy that was in Atlantis would have been out of place in Universe.

I'll certainly be watching the next episode. Infact I'm re-watching the first two right now. <3 Sky +

( First post! Be nice ) )

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
        For me, some of my favorite television characters are actually ones that I probably wouldn't like very much if they were real. Because those typically are the ones that shake things up, create interesting, dramatic story, and sometimes explore parts about myself and the people around me that we might not always want to face otherwise. .
        Some of my favourite TV characters are the kind of people I'd run away from in real life. In no particular order -

1: Cigarette Smoking Man/Cancer Man/Spender - The X Files

2: Gul Dukat - Star Trek, Deep Space Nine.

3: Kolya - SGA

4: Todd - SGA

5: Ba'al - SG-1

6: Spike - Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

7: Drusilla - Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

8: Garak - Star Trek, DS9

9: Caprica Six (Battlestar Galactica)

I took to Eli and Scott in Air 1 and Air 2 because I saw potential for them to be young people with plenty of room for character growth. Meanwhile, I don't know enough about Rush's agenda etc. to be able to judge if I'll find him as interesting as Spender and Gul Dukat.

Originally posted by BIG_GATE_HEAD
        and just like the first time I was enjoying it until they slowed it down for Chloe and Scott to have a moment.
        I regarded this moment as character development and a good thing in a show which is supposed to be character driven rather than a plot driven action adventure with lots of running around with guns and big explosions.

When it comes to science fiction I really enjoy a good space battle and some action adventure stuff but I don't want to see this all the time. After all, science fiction as a broad genre is as much about people and society as super-technology and space battles.
        Last edited by ciannwn; 07 October 2009, 03:38 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by akuma07 View Post
          The bad

Like the Hammond wouldn't have laid waste to the 3 mothership in no time at all. The beam weapons would have cut them down in seconds, so why didn't they? (of course the answer is the story wouldn't have worked otherwise, but its still a BIG ommision)
          I think they just assumed most Stargate fans would remember that the Hammond hadn't been updated with the Asgard tech and any new fans wouldn't need it explained because they wouldn't have known.
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
            I think they just assumed most Stargate fans would remember that the Hammond hadn't been updated with the Asgard tech and any new fans wouldn't need it explained because they wouldn't have known.
            Remember it from where? Isn't it just fan speculation?

Comment

I really enjoyed these 2 episodes, can't wait for the 3rd part next week.
              Thought the music by Joel was awesome.

Gave a little cheer when Jack appeared at Eli's front door and also when I saw Daniel and Sam, kinda wished Teal'c was there but storywise he didn't need to to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                Some of my favourite TV characters are the kind of people I'd run away from in real life. In no particular order -

1: Cigarette Smoking Man/Cancer Man/Spender - The X Files

2: Gul Dukat - Star Trek, Deep Space Nine.

3: Kolya - SGA

4: Todd - SGA

5: Ba'al - SG-1

6: Spike - Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

7: Drusilla - Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

8: Garak - Star Trek, DS9

9: Caprica Six (Battlestar Galactica)

I took to Eli and Scott in Air 1 and Air 2 because I saw potential for them to be young people with plenty of room for character growth. Meanwhile, I don't know enough about Rush's agenda etc. to be able to judge if I'll find him as interesting as Spender and Gul Dukat.
                I read that list and I think. You like gray characters. Then I think again you will probably like Rush
                Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                Remember it from where? Isn't it just fan speculation?
                1)in EATG is was stated that the Hammond was still on the assembly line
                2)Air in canon is just a week or two after EATG
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Although I was really looking forward to some new stargate to watch, I was a bit worried about what I was going to be seeing, especially with all the comments about it being too much like BSG (which I hated) and I was pleasantly surprised.

I thought the first episode was a bit disjointed, due to them going back and forwards in the story. But the second part really got me interested and I now can't wait until next week for the next episode.

I really liked Eli as he provided a bit of light relief in all the drama and I loved Robert Carlyle's portrayal of Dr Rush.

Overall I can see the beginnings of a really good story here. Lets hope it doesn't go downhill the way Atlantis did! (ducks to avoid the flack from the SGA fans )

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    1)in EATG is was stated that the Hammond was still on the assembly line
                    2)Air in canon is just a week or two after EATG
                    Doesn't negate the fact that it's just speculation. If the Hammond was a week away from launch, it's more reasonable to assume that it would already have been upgraded with Asgard tech.

Solid first ep but still a little screw up from the writing team. But I'm not nitpicking about it since it didn't actually bother me at all.

Comment

I read that list and I think. You like gray characters. Then I think again you will probably like Rush
                      It's possible that I'll like him but it all depends on how he's written in future episodes. I'm going to be very annoyed if he gives me visions of TPTB sitting round a table and deciding "Todd is a very popular character so if we recreate him in human form we'll have a hit on our hands."
                      sigpic

Comment

I've just finished watching it this minute I'm not very good at giving in depth reviews, so I'll just say that I loved every minute of it

Eli and Dr. Rush are my fave characters so far, I think
                        Newly liberated multi-thunker
                        http://twitter.com/missmarvel1980
                        Julia xx

Comment

I think it's a little early to tell where the female characters are concerned.

1: Tamara Johansen - she's a field medic whose the nearest they've got to a doctor. There were a number of wounded people to be seen to so she spent her time seeing to them.

2: Chloe - understandably upset about her father. We learned that she did something very meaningful before she was stranded on a space ship far from home, though.

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1...ipts/101.shtml

SENATOR: It was also her idea to embed the Ancient proof in a medium that would give us access to brilliant young minds ... (he gestures at Eli) ... that we would have otherwise overlooked.

3: Camille Wray - she's a member of the IOA and I honestly can't think of anything meaningful she could have done during Air 1 and Air 2. This doesn't mean that she won't do anything meaningful in future episodes, though.

Have to admit I missed having a Wraith around to thunk over.
                          Yes it is true that it's too early to tell. And they did once upon a time write for females quite well (Carter, Janet) then I don't know what happened after that. It seemed that we got a cliche female (Vala), wallpaper females (SGA, Teyla, Weir, Carter), and damsel in distress female (Keller). I really hope they found their mojo for writing females again.

mmmmmmm Spike from Vegas, what I wouldn't give to see him again...He was Hot with a capital H Only good thing about Vegas

That is the risk you run with essemble casts. Some episodes can not heavily feature everyone. That is why TJ wasn't that much. Their was only so much that could be done. But I thought Chloe had ample screen. time

Also 2 things

1)Could you be more shallow? *ducks the fish*

2)And I thought you said you weren't watching?
                          True, but I just hope the females get their fair share of the screentime Not like in SGA

And...
                          1) Moi...Shallow? nooooooooooo. Whatever gave you that idea *adjusts halo*

2) Yes I did say that, and as you know I was only watching to see Jack and Sam. But I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it And like I said i'm a big enough person to admit when I'm wrong

However I don't think I would have liked it as much if none of the characters stood out for me, but I have taken a liking to Colonel Young

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                          Uh oh, watch out. There's a thread for this that some else started and I was accused of being insensitive for saying the same thing.

But, the women are hot. Always.
                          There is? Ooh where?

Yes, so not fair. We get all these hot women. Is it really too much to ask for just one hot guy to drool over? *pouts*

That's the good thing about ensemble casts as far as I'm concerned. If I don't like a particular character I'm not going to be stuck with seeing him/her being heavily featured every single week.
                          Yes true. Just so long as it doesn't end up the SGA way...a la Shep/McKay show with the occasional apprearance of the others

So Universe is kind of like an anti-Atlantis?
                          Universe is maybe what SGA should have been but never managed it

There were times when SGA should have been renamed Stargate Sheppard and McKay. Hopefully the SGU writers won't fall into the trap of finding two characters they prefer writing for and forget about everyone else.
                          AMEN to that It was like no one else existed except them

Originally posted by BIG_GATE_HEAD View Post
                          I rewatched part of the pilot last night and just like the first time I was enjoying it until they slowed it down for Chloe and Scott to have a moment. Now I have all ten seasons of SG1 and both movies(and will continue to buy the movies as long as they make them) as well as all five seasons of Atlantis. Now if SGU is has alot of the slow down points I will not buy the dvds just watch the episodes as they air and maybe watch the better ones on HULU.
                          I haven't seen the sex scene cause It got cut in the UK showing but bonkin in a closet? Can't these guys write good ol' fashioned mature adult relationships? We get the mile high club in SGA and now a rump in a closet Geez grow up guys, you're not frat boys any more

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                          Although I was really looking forward to some new stargate to watch, I was a bit worried about what I was going to be seeing, especially with all the comments about it being too much like BSG (which I hated) and I was pleasantly surprised.

I thought the first episode was a bit disjointed, due to them going back and forwards in the story. But the second part really got me interested and I now can't wait until next week for the next episode.

I really liked Eli as he provided a bit of light relief in all the drama and I loved Robert Carlyle's portrayal of Dr Rush.

Overall I can see the beginnings of a really good story here. Lets hope it doesn't go downhill the way Atlantis did! (ducks to avoid the flack from the SGA fans )
                          Here's hoping *crosses fingers*
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                            True, but I just hope the females get their fair share of the screentime Not like in SGA
                            Given their background I would hope/think so. Lets be honest as much as I like Atlantis the characters never had much background. The one who will most likely be wallpapered is TJ. Chloe and Wray are too different from the Stargate standard to be ignored.
                            And...
                            1) Moi...Shallow? nooooooooooo. Whatever gave you that idea *adjusts halo*
                            Do I really need to bring up your post history?
                            2) Yes I did say that, and as you know I was only watching to see Jack and Sam. But I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it And like I said i'm a big enough person to admit when I'm wrong

However I don't think I would have liked it as much if none of the characters stood out for me, but I have taken a liking to Colonel Young
                            It tends to be the characters who make a break a show. I have liked the most of them. The only one I am a little iffy is TJ and Rush

*hides from Lahela*

Yes, so not fair. We get all these hot women. Is it really too much to ask for just one hot guy to drool over? *pouts*
                            Beauty is the eye of the beholder. I know plenty who say they are "hot guys" in SGU. Now excuse me while I go stare at Chloe pictures

I haven't seen the sex scene cause It got cut in the UK showing but bonkin in a closet? Can't these guys write good ol' fashioned mature adult relationships? We get the mile high club in SGA and now a rump in a closet Geez grow up guys, you're not frat boys any more
                            To be fair it wasn't really about a relationship
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

It tends to be the characters who make a break a show. I have liked the most of them. The only one I am a little iffy is TJ and Rush

*hides from Lahela*
                              As well you should

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post

That's what I thought as the closing credits rolled. Sad, but true.
                              sigpic

Comment

Given their background I would hope/think so. Lets be honest as much as I like Atlantis the characters never had much background. The one who will most likely be wallpapered is TJ. Chloe and Wray are too different from the Stargate standard to be ignored.
                                I hope you're right You know, this is the first stargate show that my fave character will more than likely be male I really like the character Colonel Young so far

Do I really need to bring up your post history?
                                What/ Um/ *runs and hides post history*

*hides from Lahela*
                                Yes true, TJ didn't really do much apart from sitting around keeping an eye on Young, but I hope she gets something more to do in the next couple of eps. She's the only one i'm not sure about. She's the only one that looks like wallpaper material but I hope i'm wrong because I think given a chance, she could be a good character.

Beauty is the eye of the beholder. I know plenty who say they are "hot guys" in SGU. Now excuse me while I go stare at Chloe pictures
                                There has been at least one hot guy in SG-1 and SGA, but for me at least there isn't any hot guys in SGU so far *pouts* I do like Young but he isn't thunkable material

To be fair it wasn't really about a relationship
                                And that is my problem. In SGA we get McKay/Keller joining the mile high club and in SGU we get closet sex. If they want to make it more character driven then can't they at least write a mature relationship into the show instead of a quickie in the closet. What was the point of it. It wasn't shown here and it didn't detract from the ep.

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                                As well you should

That's what I thought as the closing credits rolled. Sad, but true.
                                You want to borrow my fish to hit him with He likes it really
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X