X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Icarus View Post
    I've watched in twice now, a couple of things are still unclear to me:

1) The long range comm devices - Rush used it, and Dr Lee was on the other end. How exactly do they work? I thought they swapped the minds with the bodies with the other person on the receiving end i.e. Dr Lee at SGC with Rush. Or am I confusing them with the OTHER long range devices that were used by the Pegasus' Asgard which they left on Atlantis to be remote activated? Either way, that story just seems fake... we didn't see Rush use it, the orders he received... hell, is Dr Lee actually in Rush's body? ....
    I was under the impression that scene was a flashback, designed to tell us what the device/stones are.

I'm very glad I've stayed out of the SGU discussions and remained mostly spoiler-free (other than casting news). I found with SGA season 4&5 I found episodes much more enjoyable if I avoided threads here before viewing. I can see the tone in these parts is much the same. Lovers and haters.

I quite enjoyed the premiere. Of course, I didn't go into it looking for... well, anything other than a new scifi show to follow.

I liked the flashback scenes, I think it sets up a convenient and engaging way to reveal a character's past in future episodes (kind of like LOST does), although they may not use it for that. I also love the gritty, dirty, dark feel and the music was superb!

While I'm a notorious pollyanna, I'm relieved that not all the characters here are. I like that they're flawed and seem to have their own agendas.

The inclusion of RDA, AT, & MS was okay. I can see that it's obviously a way to try and bridge current SG fans to the new series, but it fit in with the storyline. Daniel's orientation video made me chuckle.

I've only watched the episode once, but am confused where Lou Diamond Phillips went? (forgot his character's name since he was only in 5 seconds or something). Did I miss something?

I'm looking forward to Air III!!!!
    Last edited by Pic; 04 October 2009, 08:09 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      It doesn't matter where the energy is coming from, just in what way it hits the event horizon; in this case, the blast would come up from the bottom (the core) and slam into the naquadah, only spilling into the puddle instead of slamming directly into it, like with shaped charges.
      Colonel, sir,
      The gate is a superconductor. The moment the line from the core surged and spiked the gate shut off. Energy travels faster than any blast.

Originally posted by Arative View Post
      So there was a plot then? Just not one that you liked. Actually a plot is a sequence of interrelated events that form a narrative. Which the first 2 hours did.
      The definition of a plot can be variable.
      I'll stick to higher literary expectations rather than the low end.

I maintain that survival is not a plot, It's a goal (a long term goal). It doesn't drive a short term story forward. Movies that have survival plots are character driven. Those movies also resolve the situation that endangers survival by the end of the movie. Thus, survival can't be a plot for a series like 24 or Stargate Universe. This pilot was not driven by any one core of characters or character, so no focus, no plot.

Comment

It seemed quite obvious the pilot was driven by the crew's need to fix the life support system hence the plot of the pilot
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
          Colonel, sir,
          The gate is a superconductor. The moment the line from the core surged and spiked the gate shut off. Energy travels faster than any blast.
          I'm aware it's a superconductor, but the "jump" factor of stargates only happens when the blast hits the event horizon at precisely the right angle; as you pointed out earlier, this is why the Genii nuke nor the destruction of Abydos jumped the wormhole. So the fact that it's a superconductor has nothing to do with it.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            It seemed quite obvious the pilot was driven by the crew's need to fix the life support system hence the plot of the pilot
            I agree. While it was a rather subdued plot in comparison to others, it's a necessary one considering the context of the SGU crew's situation.

I think people forget that "Air" has a 3rd part conclusion still to come...
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              I'm aware it's a superconductor, but the "jump" factor of stargates only happens when the blast hits the event horizon at precisely the right angle; as you pointed out earlier, this is why the Genii nuke nor the destruction of Abydos jumped the wormhole. So the fact that it's a superconductor has nothing to do with it.
              Sir, I was under the impression that energy surges (unrelated with the event horizon, have caused the gate to jump. I'll have to suspend the discussion for further research on this.

What I will do sir is research wormhole disconnections and disconnections in a blast but in any case in this situation, not only did the blast not translate the wormhole did jump iin the face of an explosion. So perhaps this was chance.

We'll see.
              They haven't fixed it so far nor have they done anything to fix it out of the two hours It was diagnosis in the last parts of part II. But still this is a thoroughly weak Plot more than half the scenes have nothing to do with it.

I see the plot of this pilot simply being how they got into the situation, which isn't a plot it's a situation.

Comment

Sir, I was under the impression that energy surges (unrelated with the event horizon, have caused the gate to jump. I'll have to suspend the discussion for further research on this.

What I will do sir is research wormhole disconnections and disconnections in a blast but in any case in this situation, not only did the blast not translate the wormhole did jump iin the face of an explosion. So perhaps this was chance.
                It depends on the direction and the amount of energy directed at the wormhole itself. And we really don't know if the wormhole jumped because the explosion didn't occur until after the people have evucated

We'll see.
                They haven't fixed it so far nor have they done anything to fix it out of the two hours It was diagnosis in the last parts of part II. But still this is a thoroughly weak Plot more than half the scenes have nothing to do with it.

I see the plot of this pilot simply being how they got into the situation, which isn't a plot it's a situation.
                A plot doesn't have to be fixed in a episode. Look at the serialized. The weakness of said plot is totally subjective but it is a plot none the less
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I maintain that survival is not a plot, It's a goal (a long term goal). It doesn't drive a short term story forward. Movies that have survival plots are character driven. Those movies also resolve the situation that endangers survival by the end of the movie. Thus, survival can't be a plot for a series like 24 or Stargate Universe. This pilot was not driven by any one core of characters or character, so no focus, no plot.
                  Can you explain what you mean by higher literary expectations.

No survival isn't a plot. The need for survival forms the structure of the plot. I don't think you quite understand what plot means.
                  I mean there are 6 main elements that make up a plot.

Exposition, introduction to characters and setting. Well we had that at the start.

Conflict, actual or perceived opposition of needs, values and interests. We had that too

Rising Action, builds suspense towards the climax. We had that too.

Climax, The high point, a moment most intense, a turning point, a major culmination of events. Haven't quite had that yet, but we're starting towards, considering that the pilot is 3 hours long, most logical people wouldn't expect the climax to take place by the end of 2nd hour.

Falling action, part of a story following the climax and shows the effects of the climax. Haven't had that yet since we haven't reached the climax yet.

Resolution, consists of a series of events that follow the climax, and thus serves as the conclusion of the story. Haven't gotten there yet since we haven't reached the climax.

So I maintain that you just didn't like the story being told, so therefore you believe that it had no plot, when it actually had a plot.

Comment

It depends on the direction and the amount of energy directed at the wormhole itself. And we really don't know if the wormhole jumped because the explosion didn't occur until after the people have evucated
                    Sir, I saw a man propelled by an explosion that was right behind him that launched him several dozen feet on the other side. No explosion came through the wormhole. The wormhole disengaged immediately.

It was a jump.

A plot doesn't have to be fixed in a episode. Look at the serialized. The weakness of said plot is totally subjective but it is a plot none the less
                    I respectfully disagree. Sir.

Comment

Sir, I saw a man propelled by an explosion that was right behind him that launched him several dozen feet on the other side. No explosion came through the wormhole. The wormhole disengaged immediately.

It was a jump.
                      Hardly; the stargate was more-than-likely destroyed by the massive planetary explosion seconds after Young came through. With no gate to connect to, the wormhole simply fizzled out.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Pic View Post
                        I was under the impression that scene was a flashback, designed to tell us what the device/stones are.

I'm very glad I've stayed out of the SGU discussions and remained mostly spoiler-free (other than casting news). I found with SGA season 4&5 I found episodes much more enjoyable if I avoided threads here before viewing. I can see the tone in these parts is much the same. Lovers and haters.

I quite enjoyed the premiere. Of course, I didn't go into it looking for... well, anything other than a new scifi show to follow.

I liked the flashback scenes, I think it sets up a convenient and engaging way to reveal a character's past in future episodes (kind of like LOST does), although they may not use it for that. I also love the gritty, dirty, dark feel and the music was superb!

While I'm a notorious pollyanna, I'm relieved that not all the characters here are. I like that they're flawed and seem to have their own agendas.

The inclusion of RDA, AT, & MS was okay. I can see that it's obviously a way to try and bridge current SG fans to the new series, but it fit in with the storyline. Daniel's orientation video made me chuckle.

I've only watched the episode once, but am confused where Lou Diamond Phillips went? (forgot his character's name since he was only in 5 seconds or something). Did I miss something?

I'm looking forward to Air III!!!!
                        the f302's all landed on the hammond

Comment

I respectfully disagree. Sir.
                          Your welcome to disagree but the defintion of a plot speaks for itself
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
                            Can you explain what you mean by higher literary expectations.
                            I think I did Lieutenant.

. I don't think you quite understand what plot means....

So I maintain that you just didn't like the story being told, so therefore you believe that it had no plot, when it actually had a plot.
                            You are entitled to your opinion, Lieutenant. Will there be anything further?

Comment

Your welcome to disagree but the defintion of a plot speaks for itself
                              Yes, sir, Thank you sir, it does, which ever you prescribe to is your prerogative.
                              As is mine. I simply require a higher standard than most.

Comment

No, it's actually not. The definition of plot is unchanging. What is variable are the strengths/weaknesses, likeability, and other such relative and subjective arguments.

A plot can be good or bad depending on who's judging it. It can be strong or weak, shaky or solid.

But the definition of 'plot' is unchanging.

And that's your prerogative, but whether or not you thought the plot was good doesn't negate nor confirm the existence of said plot.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X