This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by latvian_stargatefan View Post
    No, not in this one, I believe. He was in the first hour. The thing is, according to imdb, Ming-Na is only in 10 episodes and LDP in 7... so...
    Ming-Na said (on Twitter) that she's in far more than 10 episodes, so I think this is a case of (at least for her character) IMDB being wrong
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Because as you knew BSG invented those camera techniques
      Never said that, just said that's what it reminded us of.

Comment

Well, I have to admit the show disappointed me, but I will watch it again on Hulu later before Air pt. 3.

Plot Analysis: Opening and Icarus Base
        Had a few too many holes and issues for veteran Stargate writers. The multiple flashbacks in the beginning really were not needed, only one would have served a more fluidic purpose in terms of story progression. There should have been more time spent on Icarus Base, or at least a more fleshed out reason for why they were there. The attack by what I am assuming to be the Lucian Alliance was a bit ridiculous: a top secret base that one can't even gate to is found by the equivalent of space pirates. The ensuing battle virtually eliminates the character of Telford (Lou Diamond Phillips) in less than a few lines of screen time, and also airs on the ridiculous side with The General Hammond being unable to destroy any of the Ha'Tak vessels (what happened to the Asgard beam?). The base sequence did little more than provide an excuse for ending up on the Destiny.

Plot Analysis: Events on Destiny
        I loved the entire "failing life support" storyline, it gave the show a sense of urgency. There were some interesting finds (ie Ancient malps) but overall nothing really happened in terms of story progression with the exception of closing a shuttle door and dropping out of "FTL" travel. Dr. Rush seems to get hated on by nearly all of the crew, with Lt. Scott's trust for some reason being put entirely on that of Eli. The "shuttle incident" was another weak story segment. At our launch party everyone guessed who was going to die and that Chloe would witness it. Also what didn't really make too much sense was out of the 80 or so people on the Destiny, very few are military or scientists. Quite a few seem to be random people, like the guy in the white shirt going on the away team towards the episodes' end. However, the show did end on a more positive note for me, with the gate travel to completely alien worlds exacerbated by the sense of urgency in time before the next jump getting me more interested in the show.

Character Analysis:
        Overall, the characters really didn't do too much for me. Look at SG1 or Atlantis' pilots: you had a good feel for the characters and thought they had good introductions/histories by what little you knew by the pilot's end. This is not the case for Universe. The show tried to use some elements of Battlestar (which was excellent in mood, realism, and character development) in character development and feel, and it didn't really succeed in that regard.

Dr. Rush - While his character is probably the most promising, much of his character time on screen was either being hated upon by others (all because of using the communication device first) or him sneaking around. He could have an excellent backstory, but his character was not developed very well for the sake of the pilot.

Col. Young - While he could have a strong leadership role, he spent most of the time in bed until he feels he must rise for the sake of duty to his men and to the situation despite the back he almost died. He is no O'Neill, but could prove to be a solid leader.

Lt. Scott - At points I liked Scott, at points I laughed at him in the seemingly ridiculous nature of his character. He had some really strong early moments of being in control, but the character quickly loses credibility. The show (at least on Icarus base) begins with him doing his "girlfriend?", who quickly is forgotten as soon as he begins to comfort Chloe. You can tell that in a few episodes he will be down Chloe's pants and his former partner will probably be completely forgotten.

Tamara - Not bad. I liked her for the most part, but her backstory (or what we saw of it) was very clipped and we were left with more questions then answered. She was a bit overdramatic at times, but for the most part she portrayed a person in her situation and level of expertise fairly well.

Eli - Easily the best character introduction, shows lots of promise, but are a few Daniel Jackson training videos enough to be a credible person in terms of Ancient tech?

Chloe Armstrong - The WORST of the characters that actually had a major role in the story. Early on she is a bit annoying (during the speech), but I tolerated it. She freaks (and rightly so) when her father sacrifices himself, but the entire consolation scene with Scott was over the top.

Sergeant Greer- Puzzling character. Of course the show had to have a Teal'c / Ronon like character, but he is truly insane. One minute he is about to snap, and the next he just turns off, accepting orders. I am interested in seeing his backstory.

Camille Wray - To be perfectly honest, the pilot barely featured her, but she plays a role in Tamara's backstory. Ming-Na is a great actress, so hopefully when given a more substantial role she will play a strong character.

Telford - Why is he on the character sheet? Probably saw less than five minutes of actual screen time with him in it. He did nothing more than introduce himself and jump into a F-302. What was the point of his character (even though what I saw was ok)? Please expand on him writers (if he is even going to be in the show anymore)

Conclusion
        Overall the pilot had a few good concepts but largely failed in execution. Most of the characters were unimpressive , with a few (like Eli) offering true promise. The plot seemed jumbled and rushed in parts (early parts) and lost in dialouge with little consensus of what to do in others. By far the worst of the three of the Stargate pilots. If this was not Stargate, I probably would have given up on it. However, I will watch it again today and post second thoughts on my review. This show has A LOT of improvement to do if it wants to be successful in the franchise. BSG was able to consistently create strong characters, morally complexing plotlines, and convey a sense of desperation. Universe wanted to do these things to some degree, but only gave a half-hearted attempt.

2.5 stars out of 5.
        WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY 2013

Comment

In short, I really liked the premiere. I wouldn't lie and say it's perfect, and I don't think I can even say I "loved" it (though there were aspects that I did love). Still, it really did not disappoint and I look forward to future SGU
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

I rather enjoyed it, I went into with low exceptions. I never liked Battlestar Galactica and from what I heard about it, it was going to be a lot like that but I didn't feel it myself. I really liked the character of Rush, he had his own agenda compared to everyone else and am looking froward to seeing what that is exactly. I also liked the character of Scott a lot, Eli did have one or two annoying moments for me but over all I think he will fill the role of smart comic relief pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Stargate View Post
              No ones really said it yet, but I like Greer as a character. He's cool and calculating, and there's a darkness there, but also respect and duty. He's a soldier, but there's more to him than that.
              Actually a few people have said it. I thought he was awesome, especially considering how limited his role was in the episode.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by latvian_stargatefan View Post
                How many times SG-1 disobeyed orders and used the gate without authorization? I don't think that's more of a crime than Greer probably participating in some fight or sth. Plus, he too wouldn't have gone to "Destiny" originally.
                Scott- is having sex dysfunctional now
                Chloe- wasn't supposed to be THERE
                T.J. - wasn't suposed to be THERE
                Eli- probably also wasn't supposed to board the "Destiny" or would have been trained more if they had time.
                Rush- no different than Mckay. They needed a genius scientist so they also would put up with his strange behaviour. Nobody could predict future and say that he'll send them all billions of light years far from home.

We didn't see much of other characters. Yes, Young was physically dysfunctional at the time but he saved some lives and volunteered to give his life too.

And I don't understand how on Earth people can't follow non-linear storyline. Maybe that happens with older people like my 48 year old father. That I would understand.

And come on, there wasn't much of that so feared menacing shaky cam... And if there was, it made the show look better. But that's my opinion only, of course.

This show is different than SG-1 or Atlantis and if you don't like it then don't watch. I didn't really like seasons 9-10 of SG-1 and all of Atlantis with all girls' teams, little girl princesses, 100s of different plagues that found their way into Atlantis and shut all the doors, a walk in the forest to the another mediaval village, bounty hunters and Vala's father the bingo king, stupid trial episodes or yet another week SG1 captured by the Lucien Alliance and beamed to the space ship at the end stuff. But I still watched. And I'll watch this show too.
                When you're having sex on duty, I think it's dysfunctional! I mean, come on, you can't wait 4 hours until your shift is over? They have rules in the military. I've seen stories on CNN about how married people aren't even allowed to hold hands. Therefore, again, it's not the sex itself that is dysfunctional, it's the place and time that these people chose.

I know that Chloe and such weren't supposed to be on the Destiny, so I'm not talking about the visitors, I'm talking about the actual personnel who were on the base before they got forced through the gate. I don't think Greer would have made it to the Icarus base at all, much less be involved in the accident. Based on what we've seen, I don't think Scott or Young would have either.

I didn't say I couldn't follow the non-liner, I just think it was completely overused in this particular episode, and that the editing wasn't up to standards to make the non-linear-ness sharp and crisp. In my opinion, non-linear should add to the suspense, and this just didn't do it.

It's too soon to start telling people to not watch if they don't like it. Small criticisms this early on don't merit that. If this was season 3 and people were wailing on it, then that'd be different. I think at this point, anyone who has a problem with it are genuine fans who want to like it and want it to be good.
                sigpic

Comment

My first impression was I wasn't to sure if I liked the new " darker" theme, but I'm going to give it a few more episode to see what happens on that.

It was a little slow but I expected that being a pliot in all.

My least favorite character was Dr.Rush. I just think that guy going to be a big problem.

My favorite characters were T.J. and Eli.

P.S. what was the deal with Lou Diamond Phillips he was in for what 10 seconds? Not that I mind, I'm not a big fan at all, but I'm just curious.
                  sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

Personally Liking BSG, ST:V and Firefly, its all 3 of my fave shows in a new Show! So First Impression is i am Def. Loving it!
                    sigpic
                    Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                      It's too soon to start telling people to not watch if they don't like it. Small criticisms this early on don't merit that. If this was season 3 and people were wailing on it, then that'd be different. I think at this point, anyone who has a problem with it are genuine fans who want to like it and want it to be good.
                      I totally agree. At this point, those that really don't like it will probably not bother posting about it as they won't watch it. Whereas the people who have concerns but still watch it are, as you said, probably the types that are hoping they'll become fans and want SGU to succeed.

Good point!
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Stargate View Post
                        No ones really said it yet, but I like Greer as a character. He's cool and calculating, and there's a darkness there, but also respect and duty. He's a soldier, but there's more to him than that.
                        Yup. Greer is a thousand different shades of awesome. Far and away the best character up to this point, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Armada Master View Post
                          Why was Lou Diamond Phillips even on the show?

Indeed. Did he even make it through the gate? Maybe I missed it. I didn't seem him leave. I didn't even seem him walking around the Destiny.
                          Jack O'Neill: If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do.
                          Daniel: You mean bluff?
                          Jack O'Neill: Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know.
                          Daniel: Which is nothing.
                          Jack O'Neill: Right. But they don't know we know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                            Actually a few people have said it. I thought he was awesome, especially considering how limited his role was in the episode.
                            I agree. For me the problem was not the actor (Jamil is great), it was the limited screen time. Luckily, this will most assuredly be remedied in future episodes.

I expect this to be a primary concern throughout the season, though. It's probably one of the bigger drawbacks to SGU in that an ensemble cast will end up leaving fans of certain characters wishing they'd had more some weeks.
                            Sig by Pandora's Box
                            sigpic

Comment

I loved it. I cannot believe some people are whining about one sex scene and the non-linear storylines. Seriously, what did you expect? I expected a different Stargate that was still Stargate, and I got it!

The character-driving stuff was a highlight for me from the start. The plot was background, but still interesting. Rush, Chloe, Eli, Young, Scott and Greer all impressed me in different ways: Rush is a little insane yet sympathetic - nicely well rounded, Chloe - or I should say Elyse Levesque - sold me with her emotional outburst in the second part. Eli - David Blue - was funny and very unlike someone you'd find in a SG team, which I liked.

Young and Scott do their military command thing well, with Young being a very calm leader. Greer was actually pretty cool in how he operated; the scenes with Senator Armstrong and Camille were a highlight.

Camille, TJ and Telford were not that much showcased in these two episodes, something that I think is going to change soon. Liked what little we saw of them.

The plot I knew from spoilers and such. I knew most of it, nearly all of it. So nothing really came as a surprise, but the character interactions and the pretty SFX and the great score helped everything along. I can't wait for next week, and I hope the show keeps on keeping on!
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Medicman View Post
                                Indeed. Did he even make it through the gate? Maybe I missed it. I didn't seem him leave. I didn't even seem him walking around the Destiny.
                                I assume he made it to the Hammond, and will be back later at some point.
                                sigpic
                                Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Working...
                                X