This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<Snipped by Moderator>

I have never cared for Flashback explanations of who people are. I prefer the natural progression of who people are. Like they did on SG1, SGA and even BSG. I feel flashing back is a forced way of getting to know people.

With that also out of the way. I will say this, I wasn't overly thrilled with the premiere. It felt like it was drug out far more then necessary. Now I understand like with SGA and SG1 the first episodes are always about people in a unfamiliar and dangerous situations, and that I am fine with. If they did it like SG1 and SGA I would have been more upbeat about it.

However I totally understand why the writers and producers went in a different direction. They wanted a new approach and a new way of introducing the characters. Instead of bad situation compounded with a really bad enemy that is unmerciful, the enemy is the ships condition, time and the characters themselves. Along with hopelessness, angst among the crew and out and out fear.

I will continue watching the show. Why? As the cliche goes "Don't judge a book by it's cover". This is only the cover, lets see how the pages read out.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 03 October 2009, 02:06 AM.
    Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
    End of line.

Comment

I just finished watching it on Syfy and i thought it was....interesting. It is quite a departure from SG-1 and Atlantis but i think it still holds true to the lore of Stargate.

I went in with low expectations and, as most of you, i still think the name is cheesy. They could've named SG: Destiny since that's the name of the ship but whatever. I like how the interior of the ship somewhat resembles Ori design, signifying that the ship pre-dates Atlantis.

I was kinda worried this show would be too much like BSG or LOST(but in space) but i'll wait and see where the story goes. Some of the characters i like, some were a tad irritating, and some i haven't really decided on.

Dr. Rush i feel is kinda like the Dr. Jackson of the show in that he shares the same passion for exploration. It'll be interesting to see how his character develops as the series rolls on.

As for Eli, as someone who plays a lot of video games myself I can kinda relate to him. I enjoyed the little bit about hiding an Ancient equation in an online game for somebody like Eli to solve. I think his character has a lot of room to grow, ya just gotta give him some time.

The inclusion of the Ancient comunication stones was a nice touch so it looks like they won't be completly cut off from Earth. I can't wait till next week's episode to see where they go from here.

Comment

again the good
        Eli, is a really good character, and I like the lt. I don't like chamile.
        thelastgreatprophecy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Armada Master View Post
          First Impressions of Stargate Voyager...

Meh....

Can I have my Atlantis back now?

Why was Lou Diamond Phillips even on the show?

Ship battle SFX were top notch.

Plot holy to say the least, dead-man switch for that door....could not find or make a long pole? The Asgard-juiced Prometheus-spec'd ship couldn't take out three regular Gou'ald motherships?

Can I have my Atlantis back now?
          I have to agree here, this show just made me miss Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Camlie Wray was the most disappointing character of the pilot I have to say. It really didn't seem like she did. I knew Ming Na is a fantastic actress but if I was judging purely on what I saw. I would be disappointed. It seemed like her character was completely pointless. I need to see some drive on what this character is about. Hope that happens in the coming episodes.
            I was surprised that she was only in a handful of scenes. It's still more than LDP :\
            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
              I was surprised that she was only in a handful of scenes. It's still more than LDP :\
              Indeed, though I think Ming-Na has commented on this and how it's not necessarily going to be the norm for the whole season. Not to mention, the ensemble cast is quite large and some characters are bound to take a back seat eventually.

Still, it is unfortunate that it was so little even in the pilot episode
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Was Telford even in the episode?
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

My first impressions?

When did goa'uld gliders get to be so damn awesome? Or maybe it's the pilots who are able to pull off such awesome moves that we've never seen before?

The Destiny is awesome-looking. Though visually, it looks like one of the Pilgrim cross necklaces from the Wing Commander films, IMO.

My two favourite characters so far are Eli and Rush.

My least favourites are Camille and Greer.

ChloexScott are probably going to end up together, most unfortunately.

Comment

Too much hand cam. Does not "feel" like a stargate series. It "feels" like BSG. I have to say thumbs down.

Comment

Originally posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
                      Too much hand cam. Does not "feel" like a stargate series. It "feels" like BSG. I have to say thumbs down.
                      Exactly, my brother in law and I kept talking about how the camera angles felt copied off of BSG's filming techniques.

Comment

lol it almost felt like he had more scenes/lines in the preview at the end than the actual episode.
                        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse99 View Post
                          Exactly, my brother in law and I kept talking about how the camera angles felt copied off of BSG's filming techniques.
                          Because as you knew BSG invented those camera techniques
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I, for one, am thrilled and excited for the rest of the season and those to come. The main reason for this is that there is so much story to create and character development to do here that it is just astounding. Think about it, most of the stuff encountered in SG 1 and Atlantis were all things tied to earth mythology (The Norse, Egyptians, Mesopotamia, Medieval Europe, China, etc.) Since this ship has been traveling for hundreds of thousands of years at a speed faster than light leaves so much room for new things to be created. Races and civilizations yet to be discovered. However, that presents a problem. They Ancients populated the galaxies with the gates, not people. The Goa'uld and even the Asgard populated the gated planets with people. "Universe" will have to explain how the civilizations that they will come across, if any, got to that planet. Again, story creation is abound, and as a writer...I can understand the potential.

No ones really said it yet, but I like Greer as a character. He's cool and calculating, and there's a darkness there, but also respect and duty. He's a soldier, but there's more to him than that.

On a side note, I was really concerned that the other series would be abandoned for this new one. I was really glad to see that they can communicate with earth still through the stone thing that Rush has. Perhaps eventually, the two sides will work together by pooling their thoughts together to bring them all home.

Comment

No, not in this one, I believe. He was in the first hour. The thing is, according to imdb, Ming-Na is only in 10 episodes and LDP in 7... so...
                              - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Originally posted by umbai View Post
                                My first impressions?

When did goa'uld gliders get to be so damn awesome? Or maybe it's the pilots who are able to pull off such awesome moves that we've never seen before?

The Destiny is awesome-looking. Though visually, it looks like one of the Pilgrim cross necklaces from the Wing Commander films, IMO.

My two favourite characters so far are Eli and Rush.

My least favourites are Camille and Greer.

ChloexScott are probably going to end up together, most unfortunately.
                                That will be interesting triangle with the other woman he was "Playing" with thats on the ship too!
                                sigpic
                                Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Working...
                                X