This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Automission View Post
    Dr Rush is a great character who I feel will open up within a few episodes. This still is the three part pilot we're watching, give them time to perhaps correct his personality.

I do dislike Eli though, he seems like an alright character, got a good confidence in him. My only gripe is he seems like the Rodney McKay of Universe. Just he's braver. Hell, when I was looking away from the TV briefly and I heard him talk, I swear I thought Rodney McKay was making an appearance.
    Oh good god no...He's nothing like Mckay thank god For a start there was no shouting at the top of his lungs every time he opened his mouth, and no incessant whining
    sigpic

Comment

Haha that's true, but he had the McKay aspect of "oooh whats this, this is cool" and then whenever he opened the ships doors, he did a McKay style Panic.

He probably won't be at all thank god, although the voice is similar, as is the body/facial shape actually. How odd.

Comment

hmmmm, now when you put it like that.......But one plus he has, he's not as annoying I don't think anyone could be as annoying
        sigpic

Comment

Too right, and I honestly hope he never gets that far! If he does, someone better give him a punch. Afterall, if SGA had been given the same sort of attitude SGU has, I'm sure Rodney would have been beaten to a pulp and had several lemons wedged in his mouth!

Comment

Just saw the eppisodes there on sky1 and have to say great pilot eppisode I have to say dare I say it I thought it was better than the altantis pilot 5 years ago, I kind of figuared out SGA right away and had an Idea whare it was going half way through the first 2 eppsidoes "rising", but with the SgU I am on a cliff hanger I dont know wats gona happen or whare they are going with it.... And I luv that I kuv the supspence ! 10/10 from me !
            shal kek'nemron

sigpic:

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
              Too right, and I honestly hope he never gets that far! If he does, someone better give him a punch. Afterall, if SGA had been given the same sort of attitude SGU has, I'm sure Rodney would have been beaten to a pulp and had several lemons wedged in his mouth!
              OUCH
              sigpic

Comment

I don't mind Eli -- there's a nice kind of ordinariness about him that I can relate to, like a cousin or a neighbour. He's not super good looking and he's a bit weighty -- definitely not a glamour boy but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
                I don't see the similarities with McKay at all... the man's completely obnoxious. Eli's certainly enthusiastic, has faltering comic timing but definitely not arrogant. Probably a different sort of home life and upbringing.
                Aside from Scott and TJ, no one else in the cast looks to me to be a movie star -- makes for a much more believable atmosphere. That's why I don't think the BSG comparisons really apply. BSG was grimly surreal.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Oh its been so long since I've been on Gateworld!

Anyway, I did enjoy that. I think it was the best of the three series pilots, still not as good as SG-1 or SGA's best episodes but better than their pilots. I'm quite glad I stopped reading the news here because I had no idea Amanda was going to be in it(don't actually remember even seeing her name in the Guest Starring). Seeing her really was my highlight. The production values are really good, the increased budget is very noticable. But I didn't like the space battle scene, the CGI looks way too video-gamey, the Hatak's looked awful, the SG-1 S1 one Hataks looked more realistic. Loved the score, at times sounded quite like Mass Effect. The only characters I really like are Rush and Eli, mainly Rush.

Few things I've been wondering:

1. Was that SG Worlds Eli was playing, starting to look quite cool.
                  2. They had a DHD on Icarus, why were they using the much slower computer system?
                  3. Remember at the end of Continuum Sam mentioned a moon base to Jack? Could that have been Icarus? They did say it was about two years ago the base started which would sort of fit.
                  4. Does anyone else think this Lucian leak could be the focus of the 3rd SG1 movie?
                  5. RDA is looking so old!
                  sigpic
                  Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                    No, the 'Dakara Weapons Puzzle' sounded like an extra 'side quest' that people could try if they really wanted, but wasn't necessary to play the rest of the game.
                    You're probably right. The throwback to The Last Starfighter had the main character defeat the final level, but this looked more like an RPG type game.

Originally posted by Cycrow View Post
                    ud be amazed at the dedication of some gamers and they things they do in games.

if such a game really existed, i bet at least a few ppl will spend considerable time trying to find a solution.

most casual gamers would be put off of course, but then, thats not the sorta ppl they would want anyways
                    I'm a casual gamer and certainly would have no interest in it...don't quite have that kind of patience. Course I'm not that big a fan of RPGs either.

I still think it's rather far fetched that this is how they found Eli, but I'm not too fussed at the homage to one of my favorite movies from the 80s.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

I too, wanna see what they have to activate those big honkin guns

Comment

saw air parts 1 and 2 (missed a couple of seconds at the start of 2)

When was there a SEX SCENE!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post

Right before Chloe, Eli, Rush, and Sen. Armstrong beamed to the Icarus base
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post

Hmm, I think it was cut on sky because I didn't see one either. The closest thing is when we see Scott running down the corridor doing his belt or something . Someone suggested it was cut because it was aired at 8pm and it will be on when the episodes are repeated tomorrow (wednesday) on sky2 at 9pm.

Comment

Originally posted by echidnadon View Post
                              anybody thrown off by the speed at which people came tumbling out of the gate at the beginning? people seemed to go in in an orderly fashion but they literally came flying through at the other end.
                              Well, that's very understandable. To travel such a distance, galaxies away, with the ninth chevron requiring so much power and never been used before until now, I am not surprised that there were some repercussions such as being flung through the gate. I mean, remember in the earlier SG-1 episodes, people often came through the gate to the outside at high speeds as well and covered in thin layer of frost. It is most likely the energy that it took to travel this far gave the people a shove, a strong force of momentum.

And in Col. Young's case, the explosion and shockwave he was riding on when he dove through the gate probably, combined with the natural push force from the stargate itself, added to the momentum that threw him harder than all the others, hence why whlile others were more like shoved through the gate and he was thrown clear across the whole gateroom.

Originally posted by techwork View Post
                              I hate BSG I hate BSG I hate BSG I hate BSG
                              SGU is clon BSG .
                              Eli Wallace - how he was found I saw in the 90s in the American science-fiction film. In that film as a pilot for the spacecraft selected. And he flew into the motership remember and then blew it. yess. But this guy probably the most old school. But the name he gave for drone is clearly not in subject. Kino oh yeahh and Dr. Nicholas Rush as Viktor Tsoi... (Whoever does not understand, see wiki)

The rest of "stylish" characters seem to be cross as hamsters in different combinations. fu.c.k on wide screen ... ou and in space. Yes really in space...
                              But Eli not so "stylish" and therefore immune from this.

Ship or should be in perfect condition, or should long ago have become a pile of debris over millions of years, rather than wait for the visitors.

And when the Dr. Nicholas Rush is looking pictures at home and crying that makes our flag on his wall?

Pfff for me this is all is crap. boring clon BSG. yes for BSG fan this give a lot fun. But not for me.
                              From my POV Air rating is 40 % and I hope Khattak were Russian and came to shoot this stupid idea.
                              But i old stile gaters and form affected by spermtoxicosis newager BSG fan's before release of air "Caprica" - finding.
                              If you like BSG see SGU that you will enjoy much more, because all that you do not like BSG removed. More 90210 an low depression. But..... this is not for me... for me this as some garbadge and very little pile with Sam Carter, Jack O'Neill, DDD and Eli maybe not bad.
                              Well, it is very obvious that you do not enjoy a show with intelligence and thought and rather rant about how much you hate a show in a most rude manner.

Don't watch it if it's "crap" as you so kindly put it.....

There wasn't any character that came across as "stylish", none of them looked like some big movie stars, they just look like normal people who got in over their heads.

And as for your statement that SGU is a BSG clone, you couldn't be more wrong. Yes there are similiarities in the fact that both shows involve a bunch of people trying to survive on a ship, but the similiarity ends there.

Whereas BSG tended to be more dramatic, nihilistic, and dreary, SGU keeps a strong hold on a sense of optimism, that this wasn't the end of the world, that somehow they would figure things out and get home. There was never a feeling of being bogged down by huge baggages of tense emotions, the trademark Stargate humor still remains an important factor of the show. BSG had a tendency to take itself too seriously, to the point where their stories became just way too depressing and heavy-handed to watch, but SGU knows how to use humor to lighten up the mood.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on character and drama as SGU seems to do more of, but of course, if you'd rather watch machines go ping, people shoot at each other, and a black and white view of good and evil, well, I'm sure the Universe community will do just fine without an intelligent mind like yours.

"Tibet is not a contact information, it's a country. Why not just write Earth while you're at it, incase anyone needs to know where Tibet is?"- Ingrid from Uptown Girls

Comment

Just read the trans-script of air part 1, they cut it from the episode in the UK on Sky 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X