Tamara Johansen/Alaina Huffman Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
    Alan - you're made of awesome! Thankies.
    Your welcome. *mops brow* Whew! I think I've more than earned my fried potatoes and hamburger for dinner, don't you?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      I think I've more than earned my fried potatoes and hamburger for dinner, don't you?
      Well, I greened you. That's a start, don't you agree?
      sigpic

Comment

Well, I greened you. That's a start, don't you agree?
        Thanks for the green. Just seen it. I can't eat green...but it's a start I agree.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Thanks for the interview, Alan.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
            Thanks for the interview, Alan.
            Your very welcome.

Comment

Thanks for the green. Just seen it. I can't eat green...but it's a start I agree.

It's a good time to go vegetarian!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post

It's a good time to go vegetarian!!
                Heehee. Nice.

Nah, I'm not a veggie lover I have to say. The only way I'll touch anything close to vegetable is if it's mixed in with a curry or stir fry.

Mmmm...stir fry...

Comment

GREEN!

"I think initially some of use paid a little too much attention to the blogs and the fanbase," Huffman explains. "We had to learn for ourselves not to listen to that because it can be really horrible. They can be really mean," she laughs.
                  We don't miraculously figure out how to get back to Earth. I thin what we have always been trying to pitch for the show is that it's about the individual dealing with the situation; not the situation."
                  Huffman says there might even be more healing between TJ and her former lover Colonel Everett Young (Louise Ferreira) in the upcoming episodes. "I think their relationship is the elephant in the room,"

Huffman teases that a new love interest might even be around the corner for Tamara, as well as plenty of other surprises. "It was overwhelming to step into the big shoes and up until now we've been riding coattails. But now we've proven our worth and we hope we can develop our own brand of Stargate."
                  Yikes, I know how mean a lot of it sounded to me, I'd hate to think what it would sound like to the people involved. That really had to suck!

I'm enjoying the individuals dealing with the situation, not the situation; it's one of the things that have really stood out for me in this series.

TJ, Young and now someone else? That should prove very interesting!
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                    TJ, Young and now someone else? That should prove very interesting!
                    You know... I have never shipped those two, but hearing of another love interest for TJ... Something doesn't sit right.
                    sigpic

Comment

You know... I have never shipped those two, but hearing of another love interest for TJ... Something doesn't sit right.
                      it should prove interesting, because, as Huffman says, there's a big elephant in the room with those two...I'm looking forward to it either way
                      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Luciana View Post
                        *pokes Mac*

I made TJ icons from Faith.
                        All here.
                        Green for some amazing work! Those are awesome! Then again TJ became my favorite as of "Faith". So it was kinda hard for me not to get excited and smile when I saw them.
                        My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                        "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Nonsense. Your both just too cheap to cash out £3-99 on a magazine. That's the real reason you want me to type it out.

Here you go:

From SFX magazine #196:

Alaina Huffman
                          Stargate Universe's TJ on how she's keeping the Stargate flame burning bright

Pushing change is never easy when it comes to sci-fi, especially when it comes to beloved franchises. Genre fans like their touchstones. Take the venerable, long-running Stargate machine; its devotees love them some Gate jumps and their military characters confident and full of purpose. So when the latest spin-off Stargate Universe debuted last year with a large ensemble of military and civilian characters all chaotically stranded on an alien ship called Destiny, plenty of Gaters rushed the messageboards and took out their ire on the show and characters like Alaina Huffman's Tamara "TJ" Johansen.

A First Lieutenant still training to get her medical degree, Johansen (like the rest of the characters) started out overwhelmed, treating a multitude of injuries almost alone while trying to get her bearings amongst the clashing personalities. The disharmony was something fans of the mythology, well, kind of hated. And Huffman says she and the cast certainly knew it.

"I think initially some of us paid a little too much attention to the blogs and the fanbase," Huffman explains. "We had to learn for ourselves not to listen to that because it can be really horrible. They can be really mean," she laughs. "But people are entitled to their opinions. We're really lucky we even got the attention of a mass fanbase and a huge audience and a gigantic international presence."

For her part, Huffman likes that Universe goes against the typical Stargate grain. "I thought it was positive that these characters are growing and developing. I know it is different from the Stargate brand, since we are all not sure of ourselves, but I think it's more representative of the truth, to be quite honest. I think all of us in life are in a position to grow and it can be overwhelming. As a person I am starting this new show with a huge fanbase and it's got its grip on the world. I can definitely relate to TJ. She goes into it saying, 'I know I can do it and I know I am good at what I do but this is really overwhelming.' I don't think that takes away from her strength at all. I think in fact all of the bones are there but she just has to muscle up and that's representative of all the characters."

The show recently returned with ten new episodes which Huffman says contain challenges that draw out more of who all these people really are, including TJ. "We visit a handful of planets and there is a division that happens in the episode 'Divided'. That becomes a really tender spot for all of us, not even specifically to what we do on the ship, but personality wise. We all have to live together and work together as civilians and military. It becomes a point where we ask, 'Is your way better or our way better?' It becomes a tender spot and then we have to heal from what happens. So it's different situations of more of the same where we are all growing and developing but there is no resolve. We don't miraculously figure out how to get back to Earth. I thin what we have always been trying to pitch for the show is that it's about the individual dealing with the situation; not the situation."

For Tamara that means getting more confident in her duties and dealing with those that challenge her. "There are a few confrontations with [IOA civilian] Camile Wray, Mind Na's character," the actress teases. "I think that shows the balance and the pushing and pulling. And coming up, 'Faith' is a beautiful episode for Tamara."

And as more of the characters interact, Huffman says audiences will get a better understanding of what makes these characters tick. "All of [the characters] individually have a relationship. Because it's an ensemble we all interact differently. Chloe interacts differently with the military personnel than TJ does. And then there are these civilian relationships like [Lisa] Part and TJ working together in the infirmary, so there's a bonding there."

Huffman says there might even be more healing between TJ and her former lover Colonel Everett Young (Louise Ferreira) in the upcoming episodes. "I think their relationship is the elephant in the room," she smiles. "But I think both of them have enough maturity and respect to kind of put their own feelings aside and have genuine like, if not love, feelings for each other, He has a wife and I think she respects that as well, even thought it may not seem like that because of what happened. But I would like to see her move and and see him move on."

Just starting production on Universe's second season, Huffman teases that a new love interest might even be around the corner for Tamara, as well as plenty of other surprises. "It was overwhelming to step into the big shoes and up until now we've been riding coattails. But now we've proven our worth and we hope we can develop our own brand of Stargate."

Green for the awesome article! Was there any pics of her as part of the article or just the article?
                          My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                          "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post

Green for the awesome article! Was there any pics of her as part of the article or just the article?
                            Firstly I'd like to say thanks for the green...to all of you who've greened me for typing out that Alaina Huffman interview from SFX. Much appreciated guys.

Yes, there were a couple of pictures. Probably two we've all seen before but here's my scans of them from SFX magazine...

Last edited by Alan; 13 May 2010, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for the green...to all of you who've greened me for typing out that Alaina Huffman interview from SFX. Much appreciated guys.

Yes, there were a couple of pictures. Probably two we've all seen before but here's my scans of them from SFX magazine...
                              I'll have to check them out when I get home (proxy @ work prevents me from seeing them).

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                                I'll have to check them out when I get home (proxy @ work prevents me from seeing them).
                                Pity. Surprised at Starbucks having proxy's on their computers to be honest ...still...it'll give you something to look forward to when you get home..although I doubt they're nothing you haven't seen before.

Comment

Working...
                                X