Yeah, that was pretty funny,
    sigpic

Comment

the way she clobbered you with it!
      sigpic

Comment

Ordered "Shooter" from Amazon and it's on its way to meeeeeeee!!!!"

Comment

I've been thinking. I was discussing with AlexanderD about the nature of Teal'c. How similar is he and Colonel Young are?

Comment

As I states, in my opinion they share the warrior ethos of old as members of the fraternity of combatants. To make your life in the environment of war tempers their very being much like steel in extreme heat. The only ones that have seen the end of war are the dead, so goes the quote of old.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
              As I states, in my opinion they share the warrior ethos of old as members of the fraternity of combatants. To make your life in the environment of war tempers their very being much like steel in extreme heat. The only ones that have seen the end of war are the dead, so goes the quote of old.
              Teal'c is determined to seek freedom for all Jaffas, as well as others. Young's determination comes from more of wanting to fix everything. He's less of a loner, more flawed. Still, what you've put very eloquently, is they were tempered like steel in extreme heat. God, that's such a perfect phrasing!

Comment

Originally posted by sacredclay View Post
                Teal'c is determined to seek freedom for all Jaffas, as well as others. Young's determination comes from more of wanting to fix everything. He's less of a loner, more flawed. Still, what you've put very eloquently, is they were tempered like steel in extreme heat. God, that's such a perfect phrasing!
                Thank you! While keeping my humility in check I'll try not to blush lol.

Comment

Thank you! While keeping my humility in check I'll try not to blush lol.
                  Good luck with that, hun! I tend to be free with my praises for those that deserves it. Mwuah!

Comment

Good assessment. I think the deference in these two lies in their respective environments that they came from. Young is from our world, with all the distractions and input of modern society. Teal'c came from a rigid, military, slave type society run by the Gould. His one goal would be to free his peers from this, esp. since learning of the "free world". He is still learning how to take time for himself, something new to him. Our society excels in self indulgence, so it's natural that this will influence Young and any military personal, adds something different anyway.

But I think they are from the same "mold" so to speak. Tempered by the heat as you say.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been thinking. I was discussing with AlexanderD about the nature of Teal'c. How similar is he and Colonel Young are?
                      Oh, that's interesting. I haven't given that any thought. Let me come back to this after noodling it a bit. Really great question.

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                        Good assessment. I think the deference in these two lies in their respective environments that they came from. Young is from our world, with all the distractions and input of modern society. Teal'c came from a rigid, military, slave type society run by the Gould. His one goal would be to free his peers from this, esp. since learning of the "free world". He is still learning how to take time for himself, something new to him. Our society excels in self indulgence, so it's natural that this will influence Young and any military personal, adds something different anyway.

But I think they are from the same "mold" so to speak. Tempered by the heat as you say.
                        Hmm, Teal'c? Mmmm, Young!

Both men are warriors, Teal'c out of necessity, Young out of choice. Teal'c's goal is to free his people while Young wants to explore space and protect Earth. Both men care deeply about those in their charge, hating to see them hurt, or uncomfortable in any way. They both hold their friendships close to their heart and when they give their love, it's quite intense. They both share an unfortunate tendency to be single-minded when their thought processes have been short-circuited by rage. Teal'c with Tainth and Young with Rush.

Both men tend to hold their emotions close: Teal'c out of safety - he couldn't very well tell Apophis "Hey Dude, you suck." and not be killed. Young because he's very private. We barely got to find out about Young, so some of my thoughts are supposition: As we first see him on Destiny, he's very tightly wound, trying to hold himself together to get everyone back to Earth. That internal compression helped lead him to his breakdown. He failed to keep his crew safe when the Lucian Alliance attacked. He hesitated in his initial cold blooded plan to evacuate the air in the gate room. He wasn't able to keep TJ safe, and consequently they lost Carmen. He wasn't able to get back all of his people, loosing at least Rivers to Kiva's anger. And others he meant to protect were put in danger, both on the ship and that nasty planet. Loosing Riley .. tipping point. Boom, internal recrimination of mega proportions.

Both men can say so much with a look. Teal'c and his eyebrow, Young with his silence and his eyes. His eyes speak volumes. They are the mirror into Young's soul. Cliche, eh, maybe.

How they differ is somewhat harder to define. I'm gonna have to think on that for awhile. Young has self-doubt way more than Teal'c. I think that's probably the difference in their upbringing. Teal'c really couldn't allow himself that luxury, it could too easily get him killed. You set Teal'c into motion and he's continue until it killed him. Case in point was the video game episode, Avatar S8E06. Young reflects his education in the military, always strive to be the best and figure out where you failed so you won't do it again. He tends to beat himself up when he fails.

I know there's more to this that I haven't thought about ... need to noodle some more.

Comment

Originally posted by kimmyg View Post
                          Hmm, Teal'c? Mmmm, Young!

Both men are warriors, Teal'c out of necessity, Young out of choice. Teal'c's goal is to free his people while Young wants to explore space and protect Earth. Both men care deeply about those in their charge, hating to see them hurt, or uncomfortable in any way. They both hold their friendships close to their heart and when they give their love, it's quite intense. They both share an unfortunate tendency to be single-minded when their thought processes have been short-circuited by rage. Teal'c with Tainth and Young with Rush.

Both men tend to hold their emotions close: Teal'c out of safety - he couldn't very well tell Apophis "Hey Dude, you suck." and not be killed. Young because he's very private. We barely got to find out about Young, so some of my thoughts are supposition: As we first see him on Destiny, he's very tightly wound, trying to hold himself together to get everyone back to Earth. That internal compression helped lead him to his breakdown. He failed to keep his crew safe when the Lucian Alliance attacked. He hesitated in his initial cold blooded plan to evacuate the air in the gate room. He wasn't able to keep TJ safe, and consequently they lost Carmen. He wasn't able to get back all of his people, loosing at least Rivers to Kiva's anger. And others he meant to protect were put in danger, both on the ship and that nasty planet. Loosing Riley .. tipping point. Boom, internal recrimination of mega proportions.

Both men can say so much with a look. Teal'c and his eyebrow, Young with his silence and his eyes. His eyes speak volumes. They are the mirror into Young's soul. Cliche, eh, maybe.

How they differ is somewhat harder to define. I'm gonna have to think on that for awhile. Young has self-doubt way more than Teal'c. I think that's probably the difference in their upbringing. Teal'c really couldn't allow himself that luxury, it could too easily get him killed. You set Teal'c into motion and he's continue until it killed him. Case in point was the video game episode, Avatar S8E06. Young reflects his education in the military, always strive to be the best and figure out where you failed so you won't do it again. He tends to beat himself up when he fails.

I know there's more to this that I haven't thought about ... need to noodle some more.
                          Alexander got me started on thinking about these guys. I've just finished watching the entire SG1 series as well as the movies, "The ark of truth" and "Continuim" and now started on SGA. I've mentioned to Alex that my main problem with Teal'c character was that he was the stereotype of the super black man to me. The actor managed to let Teal'c humanity shine through in many ways, but that he was always a loner, always so single minded and that I couldn't understand why they didn't let him have any life outside of being a Jaffa. He had a wife, and a son, but he was a lone warrior. Alex said that such people do exist and he explained alot to me. I don't want to take the words out of his mouth, but based on his own experiences, I came away understanding more.

Comment

I see similarities with Teal'c and Greer, too. Greer would most likely to go on 'til he dropped. The injustices of his youth make him almost single minded in his desire to protect others. And there's the loyalty to his commander and those he must protect.

My thoughts are not that clear about Teal'c, having not watched SG-1 in a while, these are the impressions that have been with me, formed as I watched the show several years ago now. I think it is interesting what someone like myself comes away with, as opposed to those who have actually studied the show. I enjoyed the show very much, but haven't re watched in a long while.
                            sigpic

Comment

Alexander got me started on thinking about these guys. I've just finished watching the entire SG1 series as well as the movies, "The ark of truth" and "Continuim" and now started on SGA. I've mentioned to Alex that my main problem with Teal'c character was that he was the stereotype of the super black man to me. The actor managed to let Teal'c humanity shine through in many ways, but that he was always a loner, always so single minded and that I couldn't understand why they didn't let him have any life outside of being a Jaffa. He had a wife, and a son, but he was a lone warrior. Alex said that such people do exist and he explained alot to me. I don't want to take the words out of his mouth, but based on his own experiences, I came away understanding more.
                              It was my pleasure to provide a bit of insight.

Comment

"The Colonel kicked your ass today, hmmm?"

"How did you know?"

"The bruise and the bandage on your cheek is a pretty big clue, ye ken."

"Ye Gods! I'm so tired of being whumped by the Colonel!"

"It's for the sake of the crew! It makes him very happy. The longer he's happy, the less he whumps us."

"Sigh. I suppose you're correct."

(Whistling "Whistle while you work")

"Wow! I'm so damn happy today!" (Resumes whistling).

Comment

Working...
                                X