Robert Carlyle/Dr Nicholas Rush Thunk/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaiel View Post
    Yeah, having studied languages and their development a bit, all communities and groups tend to develop their own vocabularies and shared phrases, which can be opaque to outsiders or new members. It's like teenager speak, definitely opaque to outsiders! But also you can look at stuff like Polari http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari which were specifically designed to be so. As well as having practical use, they also serve to increase sense of community and belonging.

Oops, geek over.
    One for all, and all for geeks here!

The use of "/" as meaning slash is a bit opaque in my opinion, although I did understand CRW's message on "Force Over Distance", having read enough fics so far, but I wonder how many did not? The folks who were upset by the recent chapter apparently did not understand that usage.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
      One for all, and all for geeks here!

The use of "/" as meaning slash is a bit opaque in my opinion, although I did understand CRW's message on "Force Over Distance", having read enough fics so far, but I wonder how many did not? The folks who were upset by the recent chapter apparently did not understand that usage.
      Yeah, I can totally see where it would confuse, although it's actually pretty much the oldest scene usage around and where the name "slash" comes from, original Star Trek fanfic, like kirk/spock, the slash punctuation.

Comment

Oh and just to keep today's discussion on topic

71157_113195058709438_4397485_n.jpg

Comment

I loved the idea of Rush carving chess pieces, an insight into another side of him. I had imagined him sitting around at night carving things while he babysat some program or other. Loved your bone carvings, elaiel in the "Vignettes" chapter.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I can totally see where it would confuse, although it's actually pretty much the oldest scene usage around and where the name "slash" comes from, original Star Trek fanfic, like kirk/spock, the slash punctuation.
            Never read any fanfiction until recently, but I had heard of the Kirk/Spock pairing, it stuck in my mind because it never occurred to me, having seen Star Trek as a child and not really being that into it. Didn't think the movies lived up to the characters.
            sigpic

Comment

Awww, *blushes*

Though I think there's more good writers for SGU on LJ than FF at the moment, just not many people writing long stories.
              I love your stuff too. I'm usually more of a slash fan but you have totally sold me on Rush / Chloe.

I'm loving Smoke and Pain - I'm a sucker for a good mystery and love your AU versions of our guys.

Comment

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/Jeri33/RC%20photos/vlcsnap2010041723h25m55.png
                I loved the idea of Rush carving chess pieces
                Okay, that picture is seriously cute. Look at the cute uncertain expression. Awww!

(p.s. thx!)
                Last edited by elaiel; 03 October 2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Okay, that picture is seriously cute. Look at the cute uncertain expression. Awww!

(p.s. thx!)
                  Those big, brown, puppy dog eyes!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kudra View Post
                    AU versions of our guys.
                    Thank you.

If you like AU SGU my current favourite is mercscilla's "Two Sides of A Coin"

http://divine-realms.livejournal.com/12806.html

Steampunk AU SGU.

mercscilla writes good Rush/Chloe too.

Comment

Thank you.

If you like AU SGU my current favourite is mercscilla's "Two Sides of A Coin"

http://divine-realms.livejournal.com/12806.html

Steampunk AU SGU.

mercscilla writes good Rush/Chloe too.
                      Goody more things to go read! Did I say I was cutting back, forget that! I don't know which I like more, Rush/Chloe or Rush/TJ.
                      When SGU first started, I liked TJ right away and gradually warmed to Chloe. But I think any woman on Destiny would like to jump Rush's bones, who doesn't love a bad boy?
                      sigpic

Comment

Goody more things to go read!
                        Oh dear don't get me reccing, you'll not have any time for a week!

Comment

I still have a little problem to get used to SGU (or SG in common)fanfics. I think it's because it's something I watch, I've read lots of Harry Potter fanfics, but that's something I read

Oh, and sorry if I sound like a broken record, but please remember to delete the [IMG] tags when you quote someone.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cairistiona View Post
                            Oh, and sorry if I sound like a broken record, but please remember to delete the [IMG] tags when you quote someone.
                            Ooops, sorry.

Have a Mr Gold as an apology:

cane.jpg

Comment

Had to duck out and walk down to the vineyard to retrieve a hand tool I left there yesterday. It's just starting to rain, so just remembered where I left it. Of coarse it was all the way down at the bottom of the hill, so about a mile round trip. My dog Rusty and cat Tommy had to go,too. So we are all exercised for the day! It's not far really just all steep uphill on the way back!
                              Here's Rumpy!
                              sigpic

Comment

Here's Rumpy!
                                I'm sorry, but the tight leather, you know, seriously should have a health warning!

*drools*

Comment

Working...
                                X