No announcement yet.

Wormhole Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would like to mention that your thing about not worth sending Atlantis for 80 people doesn't check out. they would be sending the ship to retrieve more ancient tech

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Skywalker View Post
      i would like to mention that your thing about not worth sending Atlantis for 80 people doesn't check out. they would be sending the ship to retrieve more ancient tech
      If you're referring to my posts from way back when, I made two points. I did mention the risk versus reward of sending Atlantis to rescue those people, but I also mentioned the risk versus reward of sending Atlantis to recover Destiny technology...

why would they risk sending their Ancient city ship, the most significant and important discovery that Earth has come across, to rescue a few dozen people? The city still contains scientific secrets in its many laboratories and facilities/equipment that are crucial to their research into the Ancient database. Plus, it has very advanced defensive/offensive capabilities that make it both an ideal off-world base and an ideal complement to a planet's existing defenses. Risking all of that to protect Earth is one thing, but I don't see why in the world they would want to risk something going wrong that would either lead to Atlantis being destroyed or stranded on the other side of the universe for a few people and technology that, while more advanced than Earth tech, is not more advanced than the city they would be putting in danger.

My argument was that Atlantis is simply too valuable to send after the Destiny. Risking an incredibly advanced flying city with insanely powerful shields and weapons to get those people home and recover technology that is millions of years less advanced than Atlantis does not make sense because the experimental nature of the wormhole drive, the possibility that Atlantis could break down in space, and the drain on its ZPMs makes the operation very risky.

In a followup post I mentioned the likelihood that such a mission would drain the ZPMs and argued that losing those alone could not be offset by recovering Destiny technology (see page 2 of this thread).

If they could say for sure the probability for success was near 100% and it wouldn't tax their ZPMs very much, that would be a different matter. It would also be a different matter if, as I said in my first post, they could install the wormhole drive on a 304 because then they would be risking replaceable technology for the opportunity to recover more Ancient technology.
      Last edited by Xaeden; 03 February 2021, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Too dangerous. It's a literal coin flip in using it in which it either works or the ship is disintegrated. More so, the heavy taxation it has on the ZPMs probably making it a one way trip.

Comment

Working...
        X