This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Sure it is. It gives solution. Just because we don't see the solution implemented doesn't mean its not ending.
    In other words, it didn't have an ending.

The fact that the next episode shows everyone is fine makes the result of the solution quite obvious.
    Why bother doing Part 2 of two-parters then? We know everyone will be fine next week, right?

We don't need everything spoon fed to us.
    Expecting an ending is not being spoon fed.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      In other words, it didn't have an ending.

Why bother doing Part 2 of two-parters then? We know everyone will be fine next week, right?
      But we don't know how, while here we see Scott tell them exactly what to do. We have all the information we need, showing it would be redundant.

Expecting an ending is not being spoon fed.
      What you're expecting here is.

Comment

I liked the Time episode very much. So the ending is ambiguous, time travel is ambiguous.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
          http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...ind_painfully/

~ 2000 comments on what’s boring on TV. Pretty much ever TV show/movie made in the last 50 years is mentioned by one person or another as boring, 'cant stand it' 'want to shoot myself' .......

So we can conclude at least two things?

Everything on TV/movies is boring?
          Every show/movie has haters / borers?
          Both or neither?

Every one finds one show boring while the next is exciting.

I prefer to think that each show is targeted at a particular audience. If you find it boring then its obviously not targeted at you.

"ITS NOT YOUR CUP OF TEA" Just admit the truth and move on.

The really odd point is, if the show is so boring, why watch it and why waste your time always commenting on it. Wouldn't your time be better spent seeking out other shows or other forms of entertainment or excitement.
          Well said. I have trouble with folks who trash shows and such without regard for those of us who genuinely appreciated the show. Constructive criticism is fine, but so much of what I read these days is not constructive, some folks just don't want to concede that it just wasn't their thing. There are millions of things in this world that I definitely do not like, but it does not mean all of them are bad, it means it's just not for me. If we all liked everything, it would be a dull world indeed, and a non productive one at that.
          sigpic

Comment

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...ind_painfully/

~ 2000 comments on what’s boring on TV. Pretty much ever TV show/movie made in the last 50 years is mentioned by one person or another as boring, 'cant stand it' 'want to shoot myself' .......

So we can conclude at least two things?

Everything on TV/movies is boring?
            Every show/movie has haters / borers?
            Both or neither?

Every one finds one show boring while the next is exciting.

I prefer to think that each show is targeted at a particular audience. If you find it boring then its obviously not targeted at you.

"ITS NOT YOUR CUP OF TEA" Just admit the truth and move on.
            I don't subscribe to relativism.

The really odd point is, if the show is so boring, why watch it and why waste your time always commenting on it. Wouldn't your time be better spent seeking out other shows or other forms of entertainment or excitement.
            Are you keeping up with the discussion? I was bored with the first four episodes, willing to give the show one last chance to capture my interest. Fortunately, "Light" did just that. I also enjoyed "Water" and "Earth." "Time" was OK, but the ending was infuriating. If there'd been less winy emo drama, there'd have been time for an onscreen resolution instead of Scott simply telling us what will happen. Lame. I just finished "Life," and goodness gracious, we're back to nothing happening. What did we learn about the ship? It has an ancient control chair. I figured it would. What does it do? We don't know. Did they use the stargate? Nope. This is feeling more and more like a soap opera. Did anything remotely science-fiction happen? Even the body swapping is more fantasy than anything. Hopefully "Justice" will be better.

Originally posted by jeri View Post
            I have trouble with folks who trash shows and such without regard for those of us who genuinely appreciated the show. Constructive criticism is fine, but so much of what I read these days is not constructive, some folks just don't want to concede that it just wasn't their thing.
            Sometimes, a story is so bad, there's really nothing constructive to say. This is a discussion board, not a gushing board. If you can't handle criticism, grow a thicker skin is all I can say. I've offered both hard and constructive criticism of the show. I don't mind the show putting a bigger emphasis on character drama. They're on a ship, and they haven't figured out how control the computers yet. They can only afford themselves to leaving the ship when they need supplies. Naturally, that necessitates more character drama. That's fine. The problem is that the character drama we've seen so far is something I would expect from a teen drama, not trained soldiers and brilliant scientists who knew the risks before ever leaving the Earth. I can understand Chloe and Eli being unprepared, but I expect more from everyone else. I do, however, like the drama surrounding being in exile. I wish there'd been more of that on Star Trek: Voyager.
            Last edited by Snowman37; 10 March 2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Regarding the episode "Time", I think we have to accept that the writers did have an ending, it wasn't like they "ran out of time" (ha! I made a pun!), they certainly intended it to end exactly as it did, with Scott recording his "message in a bottle" with the way out of the time loop.

Now, it may or may not work for any particular viewer - I have to say I was surprised when I first watched the episode and it ended where it did! But I think that is not necessarily a bad thing.

One of the things that I enjoyed about SGU was that, every once in a while, it really surprised me. I won't post any spoilers here (first time viewers!), but there are at least 4 places in the first season when something happens that I just wasn't expecting.
              sigpic
              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

"Time" was OK, but the ending was infuriating. If there'd been less winy emo drama, there'd have been time for an onscreen resolution instead of Scott simply telling us what will happen. Lame.
                I love that you phrase it as if the episode overran and they just threw something together, rather than making a deliberate creative choice.

Comment

I'm not interested in their intent. I'm interested in what delivered onscreen. The finished result just wasn't very good.

Comment

How do you feel about the end of SG-1's Last Stand?

Comment

Been a long time, remind me, was that Part 2 of "Summit?"

Comment

The resolution was made obvious by what happened before it, spoon-feeding it to the audience simply wasn't necessarily, and would likely have been for an anti-climax if anything. The real jeopardy and drama was in getting the message back, not in watching the crew go through the motions of carrying out the instructions, much like 2010.

Comment

"2010" was different. We saw Hammond give the order to lock out the gate address on the note. There was on screen resolution. Is it so wrong to expect the ending to be on screen? The entire episode didn't happen, which is annoying. Normally I don't mind that when it's one of those everyone pushed beyond the edge episodes, but we really didn't see that. All we got was everyone reacting to their alternate timeline deaths. Anyway, I'm getting tired of explaining why I dislike the ending. Anyone want to respond to my comments on the following episode, "Life?"

Comment

"2010" was different. We saw Hammond give the order to lock out the gate address on the note.
                            And you saw Scott give the order and instruction on how to deal with the disease. We weren't shown it just like we weren't shown Walter actually locking out the address, because it would have been unnecessary, and would have spoiled the ending.

Comment

I don't subscribe to relativism.

Are you keeping up with the discussion? ..... I wish there'd been more of that on Star Trek: Voyager.
                              Well all I can say is you are wrong again for the umpteenth time and reiterate that not all shows are intended for you and this one is clearly not intended for you.

Perhaps you know the phrase 'agree to disagree'.

That last line says it all. Star Trek: Voyager..... really!!!!!! That show was the worse of the entire franchise.

The more I watch SGU, the more I appreciate the efforts put into the realism of that show, especially compared to SG-I and other Sci-Fi.... and the more I miss it.
                              SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Been a long time, remind me, was that Part 2 of "Summit?"
                                Aye.

Comment

Working...
                                X