This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    Not really mate but Light is pretty cool. If you can't be bothered with darkness please at least watch light. Even if you only watch the last 15 mins of it - thats where the best CGI FX are and you learn more about the ship and its AI.
    That's so true. Darkness goes on a bit. But Light has amazing CGI FX. I think it's the first engaging episode in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
      For example the term "bad guys" shows a certain level of immaturity. In truth there are never any all "good guys" or all "bad guys". Every one is a shade of grey. In fact the very act of gravitating to one pole or another , requires devloping a particular POV involving things like propaganda , deception and distorition etc.
      The refusal to accept that there are bad people in the world is why ours is so screwed up. There are always good guys and bad guys. This is not showing immaturity, this is a recognition of reality. Right is right, wrong is wrong. I do not believe in shades of grey, and I find doing a little wrong for the greater good to be a laughable concept. That is how dictators rise to power.

Comment

Sorry to fixate on just one thing, but do you really believe that everyone is either completely good (a good guy) or completely bad (a bad guy)?

Just for me, personally, when I look at my own life, I see where I've made mistakes (even some bad ones) and also where I've done good. I wouldn't say I'm either 100% good or 100% bad (but obviously hope to be more good than bad).

I guess I see fictional characters the same way - a mixture of good and bad, as all of us are. More one than the other, sometimes, and changing as we grow up and grow old. I would like to believe that almost everyone who has done bad things has more than a fair chance of doing some good, and being a better person somewhere along the line.

Sorry if that's a bit off topic - but to get back on topic, I see a lot of Destiny's crew in that zone, people who do both good and bad.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          The refusal to accept that there are bad people in the world is why ours is so screwed up. There are always good guys and bad guys. This is not showing immaturity, this is a recognition of reality. Right is right, wrong is wrong. I do not believe in shades of grey, and I find doing a little wrong for the greater good to be a laughable concept. That is how dictators rise to power.
          Well thats a poor view of the world. There is no such thing as good and bad or right and wrong, these are value judgments that we bring to our view of the world in an effort to come to terms with the tramua we experience or witness. Society then formalised these into laws that they then try to enforce. Over time they always change as our understanding of these various shades of grey- changes.

I fear this is one of the dangerous side effects of "the gameing mentality". You are forced to make snap judgments who is good or bad and then kill or be killed. Life is not a war or a game and TV should not be either, because these are the values that we pass on to future generations.
          SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

And what you found exciting, a lot of viewers didn't and voted with their feet.

Sorry, I know thats hard for the hardcore to swallow (including me) but its simply the truth.

My partner likes SG too. She started watching SGU with me and she simply couldn't follow it. She's go to bed early rather than watch it with me. That changed a bit when I told her season 2 was a lot better but she still couldn't be bothered.

Unfortunately the boringness of it isn't what many fans wanted.
            Well they are not fans then are they, because if they were they would stay with it. That’s usually the definition of a fan.

BTW you shouldn't apologise for your POV, after all it’s your POV and thus your problem. I just don’t agree with it. I know what I speak of, since I've spent decades watching Science Fiction.

As I tried to explain on another thread, most TV is geared towards the mediocre, so it’s popular and thus gets the ratings and advertisement it needs to survive. It’s almost the definition of mediocre.

It’s just not good enough for me. Need more quality or else it’s a waste of my time.

BTW this is why more and more of us are leaving Cable TV behind and exploring the Internet instead. Better use of our time and more entertaining.
            SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Well they are not fans then are they, because if they were they would stay with it. That’s usually the definition of a fan.
              Ahh, the old "they are not fans" chestnut, never gets old that one.
              "Fans" are also more than capable of being "hyper-critical" of shows and/or movies, if you don't believe me, ask George Lucas. What E-v-ZPM seems to be alluding to is that *dispite* S(He) liked SGU overall, SGU did raise a few eybrows and lost some people over various issues. That can be fair or unfair, but thats the reality.

BTW you shouldn't apologise for your POV, after all it’s your POV and thus your problem. I just don’t agree with it. I know what I speak of, since I've spent decades watching Science Fiction.
              Cause *no-one* else could have watched or critiqued more scifi than you could they?

As I tried to explain on another thread, most TV is geared towards the mediocre, so it’s popular and thus gets the ratings and advertisement it needs to survive. It’s almost the definition of mediocre.
              Hundreds of channels, all competing for the same 168 hours per week, do you really think the "mediocre" survive? They get perhaps 12 episodes, or a season or two. Shows survive by garnering interest, and YES some shows you could slam your head against a wall and wonder why some survive and some fail, on this at least we will agree.

It’s just not good enough for me. Need more quality or else it’s a waste of my time.
              Well, to paraphrase you, thats your POV, thus your problem.

BTW this is why more and more of us are leaving Cable TV behind and exploring the Internet instead. Better use of our time and more entertaining.
              I heartily recommend a good book instead, they tend to make you think more.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Are you serious? Why would they? Out of loyalty to Brad and Joe? - For screwing up their once great franchise?

Would you stick with McDonalds out of loyalty if they tried to poison your food? Grow up psl1. SGU season 1 was bad and many fans voted with their feet even syfy, MGM, Brad and Joe know that. You can't suddenly turn around and declare those people were not actually SG fans just because they didn't like it when for years on end you've accepted them as fans because they liked the rest of SG.

I wasn't apologising for my POV either. I was apologising for any hurt feelings caused when I spoke the truth.

Comment

I tend to somewhat agree with Snowman37 in that there is a good or bad; I mean there are a course of actions that one person takes, one would like to do it for power and profit and the other would want to just be helpful or good natured. The grey area as determined by SGU is whether or not you can judge the personality; take for instance a guy robbing a store, you don't know what he's doing it for but he's holding a gun which according to everything else equals bad. You may think that he's doing it for profit or that he's doing it just to get by; while the action itself is ethically questionable, the perception of what you think may be formed up on the spot and that perception is what you'd naturally stick with.

In terms of the series, there is one who shows interest and gets close to one of the main characters; there's a certain aura that comes from the person that causes you to dislike him (whether or not it's the tone or the way he says it) but there are words which are indicative of his true nature. There are many people who would judge them based on evil or good based on seeing them and somewhere in that example is a perception of human nature, a small list of who we deem worthy and unworthy but really; it's just "do you think he's evil or isn't evil."

The true grey area to me is what lies beyond the perception of a person, what does he truly think. There are some people who have sort of an egotistical side, who try to twist the world to them and mostly fall into self-delusion but we can't see that from the outside, it is only that we get beyond the shell that we find out that grey area, that true personality. I'm not going to go into the perception of personality but one has to wonder why they have the beliefs they have, why they desire to do the things they do. It's a subconscious desire in itself, the need to have a certain feeling and believable of self-wealth, the desire to make sure everything goes to plan and though we may not know it, that subconscious desire drives us.

We don't know what they feel when they're doing this, we don't even know how Rush feels most of the time when he tries to act in the best interests of the Destiny. He may be thinking that what it's doing is important, that he has to do anything in his power to keep them onboard but what is he really thinking; is he thinking that he needs to do everything, is he considering his emotional memory everytime he looks at his friends, is he even aware of his subconscious desires. The uncertainty, what lies psychologically in a human being that defines him, that is what the grey area is to me and admittingly, one of the things that makes some of SGU what it is. There isn't a universally accepted general perception of a grey area though and black and white still remains, what we ultimately do is either for the greater good or for the downfall and personal benefit without regards for everybody else.
                  Back from the grave.

Comment

So snoman, have you watched anymore and if so, what did you think?

Comment

Nope, been busy with real life. Lately, I've been watching MacGyver with my dad. Tomorrow, I'll probably find time to watch "Darkness." The episode's about the Destiny's power reserves being depleted, yes? That sounds far more interesting then spending three episodes fixing an air filter. I'll stop by and post my thoughts on the episode. By the way, this will be my first new Stargate episode since fall, 2009. It's actually kind of cool, I've got 37 episodes of Stargate that I've never seen before.

Comment

Don't get too excited by darkness... Light is far better (plus there is a shuttle flying around in space!). You'll love the CGI in Light when Destiny springs its surprise on the crew - it's almost magical

Season 2 is far better than 1 but just give it a chance. SG1 started off on quite a slow pace too.

Comment

Don't get too excited by darkness... Light is far better (plus there is a shuttle flying around in space!).
                          Spoilers!!! Please, stop giving stuff away.

You'll love the CGI in Light when Destiny springs its surprise on the crew - it's almost magical
                          I don't care about CGI, I'm in it for the story.

Season 2 is far better than 1 but just give it a chance. SG1 started off on quite a slow pace too.
                          If the first season can't hook me, I won't be bothering with Season 2. I'm about to watch "Darkness" and "Light" back to back, so I'll let you know how that turns out. As for SG-1, started off on a slow pace? Please. "Emancipation" had better pacing than "Air, Parts 1-3" combined.

Comment

I just finished "Darkness." Again, nothing interesting happened. It's becoming painfully obvious why the show was cancelled. Eli is horribly annoying. Please tell me he's written out of the show soon. Ultimately, what happened? Power failed, Rush had a breakdown, Young's marriage is... what? The ship passed a gas giant, and now it's heading toward a star. How did the producers think this was an entertaining hour of television? I'm giving the show just one more episode before I bail.

Comment

Light was a definite improvement in my opinion and the first episode after "Air, Part 2" that I didn't find largely excruciatingly boring. Eli is never written out of the show, he's one of the most important characters until the end. In fact I got the feeling he was the most popular character on gateworld. Most of the time he's essentially the audience proxy. He does tone down his awkwardly shoehorned in sci-fi references eventually though. Those really got on my nerves too.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

So far, all he's done is act really immature. Can you tell me the first episode where he does something other than be a science-fiction geek? Don't spoil the plot, just tell me how many episodes I have to wait for him to man up. The movie references are painful. He acts like a 12-year-old.

Comment

Working...
                                X