Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

convince me that SGU is worth watching...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
    by the time I get to see it, I'll have forgotten. Clangers have cotton wool for brains
    If Clanger has a brain to begin with. That is a source of much debate
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
      It's not worth it. SG-1 and SGA are both superior. SGU was a promising show but with no pay-off and so unless you have nothing better to watch and it is a good show then give it a go but I would prioritise other shows over it.
      Sure.

And 'See Spot Run' is superior to 'Oliver Twist'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The part where Spot Runs Fast always chokes me up.
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Some episodes in S1 are very ridiculous and some of the younger character's plotlines are entirely stupid. However, the richness of characters and plotlines it is really developed in S2 and it becomes much more enjoyable to watch. Because of the awesomeness of the second season, I'd say its worth watching. My personal favourite episode is "Epilogue".

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            If Clanger has a brain to begin with. That is a source of much debate
            oh them's fightin' words...
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
              oh them's fightin' words...
              Are you really that surprised?
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
                Personally, I do view attempted murder as a little bit 'dark', maybe even a tad 'edgy'.

I know, I know, I'm a crazy person!
                Then we can be crazy together...
                sigpic

Comment

Awesome. We just need a secret crazy-person hand-shake and we're all set.
                  Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

some of the things have already been said, but I'll just point out what, to me, was good about SGU.

It starts of slow, yes, and it's somewhat annoying to watch the bigger part of Air in current time, and flashbacks. But it gets better after that. Storywise and character development wise, it is far better than Atlantis. You get to know the characters, know why they do and say the things they do, what makes them tick. What happens if you put all those people together, without a way to escape? And that really pays off in later episodes.

It explores quite a few things, mostly the universe itself. Where SG1 was mostly about our own galaxy and its residents and dangers, and Atlantis the Pegasus, Universe really explores much more than that. What else did the Ancients do? What if they're not the most advanced race ever, etc.

Season 1 is definitely weaker than season 2, but you can watch it all at once, no need to wait week after week. Season 2 is REALLY good. It has bigger storylines, it plays with the elements the other two shows play with as well.

Plus; it has a really stellar cast. Robert Carlyle, Louis Ferreira, Lou Diamond Phillips, Alaina Huffman...they are excellent.

Comment

You also get to see O'Neill man-up and actually act like a General, and not the wishy-washy 'I wish I was still a Colonel' figure we saw in later SG1 and SGA.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I wish there was more than the one appearance of Dr Lee and Walter :-( still nice to see them in the pilot.
                        sigpic

Comment

Time of season 1 was good, And most of season 2 was good. Other than that it's back to SG1 and SGA. Still, SGU season 1 as bad as it was, was still better than everything else on the telly for the time it was on, other than that sacrireligious show Supernatural (that show has the best writers ever. though, I'd give em all a night in hell had I the power and if it existed for their blatant disrespect-fullness)

Comment

I'd actually say Time is one of the worst episodes of the series.

Spoiler:
                            Nothing we see is ever 'our' ensemble, so none of the character development is real. The only thing you can really take from the episode is a little bit of fleshing out here and there and a bit of back-story. Beyond getting the venom, what the characters go through (or not as the case really is) is completely inconsequential.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              I'd actually say Time is one of the worst episodes of the series.

Spoiler:
                              Nothing we see is ever 'our' ensemble, so none of the character development is real. The only thing you can really take from the episode is a little bit of fleshing out here and there and a bit of back-story. Beyond getting the venom, what the characters go through (or not as the case really is) is completely inconsequential.
                              Spoiler:
                              I've heard this one before, and I've written endlessly about it and written a story based on such a concept because the thing is, they are our people.

Sure, two time lines happened so that the present one could have survived beyond their encounter with that blasted planet, but it doesn't mean what happened with all of them was inconsequential, for you to see this you would have to revisit twin destinies. If I were to copy you as you are and drop you in a situation, however your duplicate behaves is how you would have behaved. To believe otherwise is unrealistic.

You take components and exposes them to certain conditions, and then you take a perfect copy of the first components and place them within the very same conditions, would it be prudent to expect a different outcome?

Time allowed us to experience these characters as never before and in a way we would have never known them otherwise, and for that, it is one of my most favorite episodes, well, beside twin destinies of course.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                What you're describing is the fleshing-out of the characters. I acknowledged that. It's the character development that's non-existent, from a series perspective at least. It's nice to see how they would have reacted, but nice is about it. It's a novelty. It adds nothing to the story as a whole, because the development we see in the episode is limited to that episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X