Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would Novus have to have something really close to Wheat to make bread there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would Novus have to have something really close to Wheat to make bread there?

I saw a pizza place in the back ground on Terminus

Grass seems to evolve all over the place in the Stargate universe, so it wouldn't be all that surprising if something like what was on Novus.

Comment

They would need something to make flour from, but grains aren't the only thing. You can make flour our out of acorns (although it is work to remove the tannins) or beans. I've made pancakes out of fava bean flour. They might have made a flatbread something like a foccacia, and topped it with a sauce and whatever spices or meats they had. Cheese might have been forgotten about unless they found a mammal species that produced milk in large quantities. My guess is that their pizza, you might not have even recognized it as pizza if you tries it.

Comment

Yes, you can get pastas made out of spinach. So anything you can dry, you can make a suitable flour with.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, you can get pastas made out of spinach. So anything you can dry, you can make a suitable flour with. To make a bread that rises though, you need a yeast of some kind. Any planet that produces vegetation, would surely have some kind of yeast, I think.
          sigpic

Comment

I gather that in all the searches of for life on other planets, no one has found any evidence of Chlorophyll. Doesn't that mean that without Chlorophyll, there can be no plant life?
            SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
              I gather that in all the searches of for life on other planets, no one has found any evidence of Chlorophyll. Doesn't that mean that without Chlorophyll, there can be no plant life?
              I didn't think we could search other worlds well enough yet to discern something like that?
              even if there isn't how do we know the earth form of plant life is the only possible one?

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                I didn't think we could search other worlds well enough yet to discern something like that?
                even if there isn't how do we know the earth form of plant life is the only possible one?
                But what if its not. It seems that ALL plant life on earth [M class planet] needs photosythises to grow.From what I've read scientists think life & O² & H²O came to earth on meteorites & comets , which suggests its more likely to be the same as else were.
                Last edited by psl1; 16 May 2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
                  Well, we've just barely started (relatively speaking) looking for and at extra-solar planets let alone whether they could support Terran life forms. Assuming they are out there, these other plant species might use a completely different combination of materials to achieve a similar result our plants get from photosynthesis with chlorophyll.

Give us until the weekend. Maybe something spectacular will have turned up by then... or maybe the week after that.

regards,
                  G.
                  Go for Marty...

Comment

Will do Gollumpus

Comment

Not all plants on Earth use photosynthesis and have chlorophyll. A well known one is Indian Pipe. http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...ndian_pipe.htm
                      sigpic

Comment

Good call but from that website this plant doesn't support any life forms, so its not valuable as a food chain link.

I'm just saying that all syfy in space is based on leaps of faith that are on 'thin ice' in many cases. One of the things that appealed to me about SGU was that it didn't assume that the basic nessecities of life were so abundant as to be taken for granted.

Comment

Yes, I was just pointing out that there are other types of plants.

SGU was that it didn't assume that the basic nessecities of life were so abundant as to be taken for granted.
                          That's one of the things I liked about the show too.

There were many gates locked out, Destiny denying access to the crew. If the seed ships placed those gates a million years or more before, chances are good many of those planets' ecosystems developed into something incompatible with humans. An idea that was lost on Curtis and Palmer in Air.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X