Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cancel SGU: Bad Series, Blame Network or All the Above?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    I think the 5,000 threads on this topic should be merged...

I think the 1 Millions thread starter on that topic should get a prize, any suggestions?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
      I think the 1 Millions thread starter on that topic should get a prize, any suggestions?
      24/7 repeats of brainstorm.................
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The Walking Dead of Threads ... Yeah, I suppose this topic deserves some razzing, a golden raspberry award. To my credit, I did look through the last few months of threads quickly to see if a similar thread was active. I've been watching SGU season 2.5, and was wistful about a 3rd season.

But ... it's starting to feel a lot like school days, starting a new school and meeting the older kids out in the playground ... So, since you have been through 5,000, no 1x10^x threads on this topic, I've got a razzie for you: please read the original post, and let me know how SGU could have done better. Re-animate Herb, in as few words as possible, and give your sage advice on what SGU could have done (if at all) to be renewed.

If you're really nice, you'll edit the last few posts with a serious response (or delete them): #'s 14 to 17 seem fair, leaving a few earlier raspberries on the thread for some guilty pleasure. - Dean

Comment

Here's an obvious example.

In the episode "Lost"; they could of had an ending where Rush came through the gate and the timer ran out, thus causing the Destiny to jump. Then Eli and his group would come through the planet that Destiny was last at and discover it's the end of the universe and find Destiny nowhere in sight, thus realizing that they're trapped (not having it at the nick of time leads to more powerful drama) until the next plot device came to put them back on the Destiny.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Grr View Post
            The Walking Dead of Threads ... Yeah, I suppose this topic deserves some razzing, a golden raspberry award. To my credit, I did look through the last few months of threads quickly to see if a similar thread was active. I've been watching SGU season 2.5, and was wistful about a 3rd season.

But ... it's starting to feel a lot like school days, starting a new school and meeting the older kids out in the playground ... So, since you have been through 5,000, no 1x10^x threads on this topic, I've got a razzie for you: please read the original post, and let me know how SGU could have done better. Re-animate Herb, in as few words as possible, and give your sage advice on what SGU could have done (if at all) to be renewed.

If you're really nice, you'll edit the last few posts with a serious response (or delete them): #'s 14 to 17 seem fair, leaving a few earlier raspberries on the thread for some guilty pleasure. - Dean
            Sorry, I am completely done with this topic, but if you like to discuss it, I am sure you´ll find one or two people here who still take every opportunity to say you what´s wrong with SGU in general, in their opinion.

I guess it´s something that is nothing that fans like to hear, but IMO, besides some other factors, SGU had a very hard stand in the Stargate fandome, and that also hurt the show a lot. If you can´t get the old fans, you´ll hardly find some new. SGA had the big benefit to ran back to back with SG1 3 Seasons long, SGU had the big hurdle of getting all the blame for SGA´s cancellation. The rest is history.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myhelix View Post
              Sorry, I am completely done with this topic, but if you like to discuss it, I am sure you´ll find one or two people here who still take every opportunity to say you what´s wrong with SGU in general, in their opinion.
              I think you may have misunderstood, I loved SGU, both Seasons 1 and 2. I took a devil's advocate approach with this thread. SGU tried to re-invent the franchise and I'm saddened it did not have the audience at Syfy to support it. I'm part of the International audience, so I had hoped that by 2010 a great show could find support worldwide, and not just depend on Syfy. It's also unfortunate SGU did not have champions at MGM to carry it for a 3rd season.

Please understand, I really enjoyed the storytelling, from the design of Destiny, the Blue Aliens, the music montage scenes, to supporting characters like Volker or Park that became 3-dimensional. I'm grateful for the 2 seasons that were produced, and the final episodes that offered some closure to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post

In the episode "Lost"; they could of had an ending where Rush came through the gate and the timer ran out, thus causing the Destiny to jump. Then Eli and his group would come through the planet that Destiny was last at and discover it's the end of the universe and find Destiny nowhere in sight, thus realizing that they're trapped (not having it at the nick of time leads to more powerful drama) until the next plot device came to put them back on the Destiny.
                ZRftS, is your post complete? I really appreciated your 1st post, especially where you talked about SGU imitating Lost or that the writers were too exhausted to support SGA and SGU. For your 2nd post, is that not what happened in "Lost" and "Sabotage", that Rush came aboard Destiny, the time ran out, and Eli, Chloe and Scott were trapped on the Labyrinth planet? So, this is an example of ...?

Comment

Snip

I do agree that the network (and MGM) has some promotional effect on the series but the point of the matter is this: the series has potential but it's mostly wasted because the creators felt unfamiliar in an environment despite them being excited about the possibilities this series would provide. They didn't feel that SG:A was doing them good plus they didn't want to work on both series at a time (remember, SG-1 and SGA aired at the same time when both were on and they were exhausted because of it.) so one had to go for Universe to be made, thus giving the impression that Syfy & MGM did it when in actuality it was as much of the creators fault as it was the companies. That may have provided SGA a boost but it wouldn't deter from it's overall suckiness, which the series had. The series was trying too hard to impress viewers to the point where it was driving off viewers, it had a beginning and an end but it didn't have a middle to properly guide them and it didn't make an effort to explore the true alien or the true unknown, just take from as many sci-fi tropes as possible and call it a night. (plus, the stuff shown didn't make the series expensive; I mean it looks like every Syfy original movie ever released, how is it that the show is expensive?) I know many people may disagree but SGU is overrated; that may change but from what I've seen of the show, that perception seems to heavily define it.
                  Take the Kripke/Ball-examples: When you are tired (have written what you wanted) of what you're doing: step aside and put another one in charge. That's something TPTW failed and that's why I am still pissed.

About the quality ... I think the lost of more then half viewers all around the world, getting cancelled in some countries ways before the last episode aired, moving to a deadly timeslot (no, not US, Germany ) in the first run and, besides endless reruns on PayTV (again on dead timeslots) explains enough. SGU=crap, plain and simple.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                  Sig & Avi by Josi
                  sigpic
                  LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                  I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                    Take the Kripke/Ball-examples: When you are tired (have written what you wanted) of what you're doing: step aside and put another one in charge. That's something TPTW failed and that's why I am still pissed.

About the quality ... I think the lost of more then half viewers all around the world, getting cancelled in some countries ways before the last episode aired, moving to a deadly timeslot (no, not US, Germany ) in the first run and, besides endless reruns on PayTV (again on dead timeslots) explains enough. SGU=crap, plain and simple.
                    Speak for yourself, plain and simple. You forget there are enough people here who love the show.

See, you can´t discuss SGU´s pros and contras without people coming over to say how stupid the whole show is in their opinions. It´s always the same.
                    sigpic

Comment

I never thought I would want to moderate my own threads. I'm not used to the forum environments and was surprised how quickly a thread can become something very different from what you intended.

Please, this thread already has 1 Razzie award from some readers for being the 5001st thread on SGU cancellation. Discuss only the pros and cons, what might have gotten SGU renewed or reasons it wasn't. If the appeal of SGU did not work, fine, but please do not bash this thread or the show: I know it's fun, but it hurts. Ouch! Thank-you! - Dean

Comment

If people do not wish to discuss a thread they should walk away and post nothing at all. If all they can contribute to a discussion is acrimony, why bother? Why wasting our time and the forums time?
                        SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Since you both are new members...I think you might not be aware of the fact this issue has already been discussed and there are already established threads with this topic. That's what spurred my comment. For the people who have been on GW for a while...this topic has been beaten in the ground.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Grr View Post
                            ZRftS, is your post complete? I really appreciated your 1st post, especially where you talked about SGU imitating Lost or that the writers were too exhausted to support SGA and SGU. For your 2nd post, is that not what happened in "Lost" and "Sabotage", that Rush came aboard Destiny, the time ran out, and Eli, Chloe and Scott were trapped on the Labyrinth planet? So, this is an example of ...?
                            Oh sorry. Rush returns from the planet to the Destiny which is at the planet where Eli, Chloe and Scott would arrive at. I did not watch Sabotage yet; I'm just explaining how they could of improved the ending, they can keep the whole running out of time and Rush arriving. Just have them show the Stargate and not show any signs of Eli, Chloe and Scott arriving until the Destiny jumps to FTL. I understand what they wanted to do but they already used the nick of time and failed gimmick twice, there are so many times you can use a gimmick to the point where it just becomes a distraction. Sure, it's unexpected but it's also poor storytelling; which is consistent in SGU.

Yeah, but ultimately Brad and Wright had control over which show aired and which show did not; they knew they had to sacrifice one show to get SGU on the air and SG:A just happened to be it since they were tired and all. I don't know why they didn't fight to keep SG:A on the air, maybe there was something where they suggested someone else but MGM balked because of the cost but still, even those two would of known that at least having both series on the air would make people happy and help SGU in the longrun.
                            Back from the grave.

Comment

Uh... what? That pretty much is what happened. They never got back in the nick of time, they got back in Sabotage. Practically the final scene in Lost was them contemplating how screwed they were.

Comment

Following that logic, Dancing With The Stars is the best show on TV, plain and simple, yes?

Comment

Working...
                                X