Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible effort/thing to do to save SGU?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible effort/thing to do to save SGU?

A friend of mine Tweeted this for me. Netflix is going into the business of saving shows that would have or have been chopped. Article says they don't work off ratings/viewers, but how popular the show might be on their network by viewers. Maybe we can write to this Netflix guy and possibly if enough of us did, have him consider SGU as worth saving?

http://twitter.com/#!/thinkgeek/stat...67733446361089

@netflix is there twitter name. If enough of us tweeted we want them to consider saving SGU....

Comment

Netflix is all about DVD sales. It will be is the show is a profit earner on their site. I'm skepticable SGU fits this criteria.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Would MGM consider selling the rights to the entire Stargate franchise? Or would it be a joint deal with Netflix funding a movie(s) with right to stream/distribute the new movie(s)? Kinda like the deal MGM had with SyFy.

Comment

Originally posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
          Would MGM consider selling the rights to the entire Stargate franchise? Or would it be a joint deal with Netflix funding a movie(s) with right to stream/distribute the new movie(s)? Kinda like the deal MGM had with SyFy.
          From what I have heard yes! but I am sure for a price, they are hurting for money so IDK...

Spyglass I heard was in talks with them about that, but not sure if anything came of that! ?
          www.stitchsloft.com
          For your out of this world prop and costume needs

sigpic
          "THAT'S... Lt. Col, Errand Boy to you..." Lt. Col John Sheppard
          www.scifihero.net

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            From what I have heard yes! but I am sure for a price, they are hurting for money so IDK...

Spyglass I heard was in talks with them about that, but not sure if anything came of that! ?
            Spyglass was in talks to purchase the Stargate franchise from MGM?

And what do you guys think the odds are of a Netflix pick up? I saw last night that SGU season 2 was number 35 of new tv/movie dvds already.

It's #1 in Science Fiction TV Shows selling on Amazon right now as well. I think it's 145th overall for all dvd sales. The SG1 complete series ranks in the top 1000, don't know if that's good seeing that its about $1,000 and been available for several years (For comparison SGA the complete series is ranked 4700).
            Last edited by UAGoalieGuy; 11 May 2011, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure the Spyglass deal had nothing to do with them actually buying Stargate from MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                Pretty sure the Spyglass deal had nothing to do with them actually buying Stargate from MGM.
                No, it was to bail them out so MGM could afford to keep few things around! Spyglass would got 55% so they would have "owed" it legally. Found the post here... http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/1...lass-takeover/
                Last edited by Stitch; 11 May 2011, 05:10 AM.
                www.stitchsloft.com

sigpic
                www.scifihero.net

Comment

No, it was to bail them out so MGM could afford to keep few things around! Spyglass would got 55% so they would have "owed" it legally. Found the post here... http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/1...lass-takeover/

No one bought MGM - it was a trade of debt for equity. The investers who held MGM debt traded their debt to become "owners" (equity) of the company. The new "owners" (former debt holders) hired Spyglass to run the company. A part of that deal is that the Spyglass execs would get a small equity stake on the company - 5% or less.

Comment

MGM Creditors have overwhelmingly approved a deal put on the table by Spyglass in September. MGM will now enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and will emerge with Spyglass heads Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum at the helm in return for a rumored 5% share of MGM. The remaining 95% will go to the creditors who will swap almost $4 billion in debt for equity ownership in the legendary studio, estimated to now be worth just under $2 billion. The deal puts up a major road block to the plans of Carl Ichan and Lions Gate, who entered a last minute offer to merge with MGM. However, according to Reuters, experts say the activist shareholder could still challenge the deal in bankruptcy court, and an eventual partnership between MGM and Lions Gate remains possible.

Yes, you are correct I read it wrong... They still would have some say in what would be used to get the debt reduced. Its sad non of the SG films ever could have went to the big screen they would seen a lot more money and got some new fans I am sure! Those new fans would been curious and went back and purchased the old SG-1 DVD's and increased sales as well!
                    www.stitchsloft.com

sigpic
                    www.scifihero.net

Comment

I was wondering about this myself when i saw SGU pop up on netflix with episodes already from season 2, but a few weeks behind. So not to start any conspiracy theories here or whatever you'd like to call it, but I swear i just read something from one of TPTB that they thought netflix was the future of tv (not earth shattering on it's own i know). But if you want to get silly in speculation, you can add in how the show was tagged with season finale and not series finale....

But all of that is probably very silly talk and taking things out of context. Wishful thinking i suppose. Anyway, I myself was a bit curious if netflix was gonna get into the buisness of resurrecting cancelled shows, just seems like SGU might be a good canidate to test out that strategy for them (SG series as a whole having always sold well DVD wise, and the relatively recent end would still make assembling most of the cast that much easier etc.) If not then oh well. I guess i'll go with plan b. Win enough money in the lotto to fund future season of SG (any series really) LOL

Comment

Originally posted by phlyer View Post
                        I guess i'll go with plan b. Win enough money in the lotto to fund future season of SG (any series really) LOL
                        You can be one the new Executive Producers when I win... =)
                        www.stitchsloft.com

sigpic
                        www.scifihero.net

Comment

You can be one the new Executive Producers when I win... =)
                          I'll hold you too that haha..

Comment

Working...
                          X