This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    If I wanted drama I'd go and watch Jessica Fletcher in "Murder she wrote" or something equally as dull. .
    OI! I loved MSW when it originally aired...

Comment

Mallozi himself says on his blog that fans blamed SGU for Atlantis being canned. He then says that if anything, SGU was more likely to revive Atlantis. Did it? No. MGM started selling off the props and parts of the sets while SGU was being broadcast.
      Rule #1 is fans an not an accurate reprenstation of the general viewers that ratings are based on
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Rule #1 is fans an not an accurate reprenstation of the general viewers that ratings are based on
        LMAO!

Are you serious?
        1) SyFy and MGM think differently. To them it's about advertising revenue. The more viewer ratings the happier advertisers are to pay their premiums. With bad ratings, they want to pull the plug / advertising slots become worth LESS hence LESS money for show production.

2) You need to learn how to spell properly. You meant 'are'.. "fans are not an.."

Your reply is not credible based on point 1 alone but point 2 makes you look daft.

Comment

1. I never claimed otherwise. Of course its about money. I'm just pointing out how what JM on his blog and the actions of fans after Atlantis was cancelled is highly insignificant due to the small numbers of fans compared to the general viewers.

2. Go tell someone who cares
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Honestly i do think SGU's cancellation hurt the franchise badly because it happened so soon and during a bad economy. Now mgm and the syfy channel are probably scared to invest in another stargate show in case it fails as well.
            sigpic
            The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Mallozi himself says on his blog that fans blamed SGU for Atlantis being canned. He then says that if anything, SGU was more likely to revive Atlantis. Did it? No. MGM started selling off the props and parts of the sets while SGU was being broadcast.
              Ummm... I just don't see SGA being revived thanks to SGU, even if it would be a success and if it would get another season at least. SGU was imagined and concepted differently than the two SG shows that preceeded it.
              So if SGA was going to be revived during or after SGU's final season (in case the show wouldn't be cancelled and made it to all 100 episodes like the producers planned), it was probably going to be something in the SGU format. I don't think that either of the new SG-1 or SGA movies/episodes (whatever they would be) would be keeping their format (i.e. the format of the first two shows).

LMAO!

Are you serious?
              1) SyFy and MGM think differently. To them it's about advertising revenue. The more viewer ratings the happier advertisers are to pay their premiums. With bad ratings, they want to pull the plug / advertising slots become worth LESS hence LESS money for show production.
              Isn't that how most of the TV/music productions think nowdays? Because I think so.

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
              Honestly i do think SGU's cancellation hurt the franchise badly because it happened so soon and during a bad economy. Now mgm and the syfy channel are probably scared to invest in another stargate show in case it fails as well.
              Come to think of it, the effects of the bad economy started showing when Brad couldn't sell the rumored SG movies to MGM. Plus (at least I think so) they couldn't do the back-to-back shooting and airing of SGA/SGU like they've done with SG-1 and SGA. Surely the bad economy had something to do with it.

Comment

I would say the TV industry has always thought in terms of money is the most important. We were just ignorant of it before the Internet came along
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Yes it would. It would still be a winning show with viewers that stayed.
                  Really? If you have that much-coveted crystal ball which gives you the insight into future/past/AUs and thus this ridiculous certainty that SGU would have succeeded as a fusion of latter SG-1/SGA style with drama (how, btw? These styles are mutually exclusive), can you give me numbers of the next week's lotto? Just PM me. Thanks.

Why do people like you keep defending this different thing as though it was actually good?
                  Err..because to some people, long-term fans such as myself and new fans such as my former roommate for example, "this different thing" as you so nicely put it, WAS good and we have every right to say so. Just like you can write poems about how good SGA-style was while I consider it rubbish. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

It destroyed the entire SG franchise. Surely you can't actually be happy about that?
                  Actually I can, because at least I have the comfort of knowing that the franchise ended on a high note and I can introduce SGU to my friends as a high-quality show worth viewing, not a guilty pleasure which SG-1 became in its last years and not something to be ashamed of, like SGA in its last seasons.

And as jelgate mentioned, blaming SGU solely for the franchise's end is foolish at best.
                  There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                  sigpic
                  awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                    Really? If you have that much-coveted crystal ball which gives you the insight into future/past/AUs and thus this ridiculous certainty that SGU would have succeeded as a fusion of latter SG-1/SGA style with drama (how, btw? These styles are mutually exclusive), can you give me numbers of the next week's lotto? Just PM me. Thanks.
                    Blame the English language, but I *think* EvZ was talking purely about numbers here. If enough SG-1 and/or SGA fans AND/OR new fans stuck with SGU, it would have gone on longer.
                    (oh Drama and "action adventure" are NOT Mutualy exclusive, they require a balance, like BSG achieved in its early seasons)

Err..because to some people, long-term fans such as myself and new fans such as my former roommate for example, "this different thing" as you so nicely put it, WAS good and we have every right to say so. Just like you can write poems about how good SGA-style was while I consider it rubbish. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
                    For sure.
                    Actually I can, because at least I have the comfort of knowing that the franchise ended on a high note.
                    THAT depends on your criteria.
                    SGU may have been a creative triumph to its fans, to everyone else, it is a finacial failure that ended Stargate, not only it's continuation, but EVERY other continuation of the SG TV legacy, be it SG-1, SGA OR SGU.
                    and I can introduce SGU to my friends as a high-quality show worth viewing, not a guilty pleasure which SG-1 became in its last years and not something to be ashamed of, like SGA in its last seasons.
                    You can promote danger mouse the same way, so what? I NEVER introduce my friends to SGA or even SG-1 as a "high quality show", nor things like SPN or Smallville which I like as well. I say that they are *fun action shows*, no more, no less.
                    And as jelgate mentioned, blaming SGU solely for the franchise's end is foolish at best.
                    Solely, yes, predominantly, I'm not so sure.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

SGU can't be blamed for the franchise's end. SGA was cancelled to make room for a new show, a new show that everyone expected to succeed. The movies would never have happened, simply because of MGM's bankruptcy. The only thing SGU ended was itself.

Comment

I agree with most of the things you said, Snowman37. SGU can't be blamed for frachise's end, at least not alone. The writers first hoped for an 11th season of SG-1 and MGM cancalled SG-1 after its 10th season. That's why we got "The Ark of Truth" and "Continiuum". They both finish stories that would probably have been finished with an 11th (-ish) season of SG-1. Then, the writers hoped for a 6th season of SGA, but MGM cancalled that show as well after its 5th season. Once they saw that a 6th season of SGA wasn't happening, the writers attempted to finish the show with the SGA movie (or two or three), which was postponed along with the thrid SG-1 movie for far too long and it ended with MGM selling some of SG sets even during the filming/airing of SGU. Then, another misstep for the franchise was not having a true theme song for SGU and not promoting it enough, because, after all, it was a different show than the first two. SGU needed a new base public from the start and the show was advertised only for the current base public, which expected SGU to be a show like the other two that preceeded it. Then with all the raitings and timeslot mess, it was just a matter of time before the franchise went completely downhill.

So, to sum up:
                        * it's wasn't SGU's fault alone for the franchise's end
                        * it was also the fault of MGM/Syfy cancelling good shows when they just goot really good
                        * not enough promotion for SGU, due to it being a different SG show
                        * lack of an actual theme song for SGU

And of course, the writers. SGA was signed up for 5 years. That's 5 seasons. So Brad, Robert and Joseph should've thought of that before they decided to make so many filler episodes, whilst they could easily finish the SGA story in 5 seasons.

Comment

Why the War Against "SyFY" must continue!

So long, nerds! Syfy doesn’t need you....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36698985/

Loved this post in response to an article on how SyFy channel was Dissing the greater “Science Fiction audience” in general.

This is very much just an evolution of Bonnie Hammer's original mission statement when given helmsmanship of the channel several years ago. In many interviews she often stated that she "didn't understand science fiction" nor would she continue to waste money on things she didn't grasp. As many times' she equated her own inability to understand such lofty and too-intellectual concepts such as "spaceships" and "monsters" as the inability for the viewing public to understand them as well. She seemed - from the very get-go - to have an almost pathological need to eradicate the channel and it's programming.
                          Personaly, I contribute it to her not being allowed to join the AV-Club in high school because of the spurned advances of the Head of the local Starfleet Ship... but I digress.

Now that Ms. Hammer is in the cat-bird seat at NBC (the owners of the much lamented "SyFy" channel). She has had the opportunity and ability to rewrite the very definition of "Science Fiction" itself... at least as far at the Board of Directors is concerned. We are now told that Science Fiction is Not Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica or Eureka... but Wrestling, and Cooking Shows (it must be sci-fi... see, it has the word "Quantum" in it... that's a sci-fi word, right? It'll be just like Quantum Leap but with with Spatulas!), and Game Shows. And now, to prove it... she's even gone to the point of defaming classic fictional characters (The Phantom), and even reducing the "C-Movie" schlock that she feed us in shovelfuls just a few years ago in her first attempt to "revitalize" the channel... by replacing it with even more reality shows.

Ms. Hammer. You asked me to "Imagine Greater," and I will. But, I'll ask you to do the same. Please buy a dictionary and a copy of "I Robot" (the novel, NOT the dvd of Will Smith in it), sit down with some 12-years olds and have them explain the brain-burning concepts of "lay-zurs," and "row-buts," and the idea of good vs evil. Listen hard and then throw open that closet and put on that ST:TOS Mini-Dress and get out there and find Sheldon Pimplestein - he's still in his mothers basement where he rejected you the first time - Get your HAL on and burn that crust off the old Flux Capacitor...
                          ... and then maybe *you'll* Imagine Greater.

Of course, you could simply open Variety and see the undeniable profitability of Well-Done Sci-Fi/Fantasy and possibly Imagine Greater income from a channel that nurtured Well-Done Genre shows... but that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

Lets face it.. she *is* Sci-Fi... she's Bob Jones from Robocop... holding desperately to her version of ED-209 regardless of how bad it sucks.

Nothing like a good tirade, but joking aside....with the level of damage done at this point to Skiffy's credibility with the consumer fan base at large, the only real hope for salvaging a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Genre Channel from this mess is for someone with a clue and backing to start one anew and let "SyFy" go the way of Fox to become *just* another cable channel.
                          The <Snipped by Moderator> is still there and will continue to destroy what she doesn't understand.
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 December 2012, 05:36 AM. Reason: Read the rules.
                          SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            SGU can't be blamed for the franchise's end. SGA was cancelled to make room for a new show, a new show that everyone expected to succeed. The movies would never have happened, simply because of MGM's bankruptcy. The only thing SGU ended was itself.
                            I agree. It was a combination of things. Not just Universe.
                            Hi There!

Comment

I think you just have to ask, would there have been a sixth season of SGA if Universe didn't exist? The answer might have been no, but we have no way of knowing. Syfy tends to shut down shows after 5 seasons but it might have been given one last season as a send off to the franchise.
                              sigpic

Comment

Somewhat on topic - my family recently spent a week as a "Nielsen family" (and it was so old-school - we filled in these journals, one for each TV, and mailed them back). One thing that I noted was, in the entire week, we didn't watch a single thing on Syfy.

There was a time when most of the stuff I watched was on Syfy, but that time is gone. I think there has been a real shift in their programming, and not a shift that works with what we* like, sadly.

Anyway, not exactly "hatred toward Syfy", but definitely a lack of interest.

*Edited to add: By "we", I mean myself and my family.
                                Last edited by carmencatalina; 29 December 2012, 11:18 AM.
                                sigpic
                                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Working...
                                X