This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
    I don't think "hatred" is the appropriate response.

Canceling SGU was a business decision.

Choosing to no longer watch Syfy can be a consumer decision, in the same way as choosing to no longer patronize a restaurant or store that no longer values you as a customer.

As a fan of certain types of entertainment, and as someone who doesn't like other types of entertainment, I have nothing left to watch on Syfy, and I won't be their "customer" any longer. Other people will be.

It isn't personal. It's just business.
    Good point, what should we say, that´s just business. I think that was the same response SGU viewers had to endure all year.
    They decide not to show more Stargate, some decide not to watch the other programs on SyFy any longer.
    sigpic

Comment

Just glad I don't get SyFy here - but I'd gladly boycott them over this.

But you know, you're right - SyFy can choose whatever it wants to do regarding whatever shows it wants to air. Just as viewers have every right to make those same judgments regarding what stations they watch or choose to support. If SyFy was on the list of shows I got here in Canada, I'd boycott it in a heartbeat.

Further, I think the OP should have the courtesy to remind those reading the post of his ties to SyFy? Just for the matter of bias.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

For me, it isn't even a question of boycotting - there are no products on their store shelves I want to buy! SGU was the last show I was watching on Syfy.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by PotRoast View Post
          Can someone contact the SGU creators and ask what we can do? How much does it cost to produce this series?
          we can do nothing.It's over
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Can someone contact the SGU creators and ask what we can do? How much does it cost to produce this series?
            Millions
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post

Networks like HBO aren’t perfect. HBO cancelled Rome, Carnivale and Deadwood after 2,2 and 3 seasons respectively. But they did at least have the courage thought to admit that it was a mistake to cancel those shows.
              I have yet to see them admit it was a mistake to cancel them. Any statements to that effect are just lip service at this point. HBO hasn't exactly made an effort to give Deadwood a decent ending, the miniseries talk was just PR in my opinion.

Rome was very expensive but the writers were given enough notice to speed up the story and give a decent ending Carnivale just didn't garner a large enough audience and the showrunner still had four seasons left in his planned story. HBO has done a poor job with regards to Carnivale and Deadwood, at least in giving the fans closure. I won't be subscribing to HBO again unless they finish up deadwood or allow GoT to air til completion. I briefly stopped my HBO ban to watch the last four episodes of the Sopranos but mainly so that I wouldn't get spoiled.
              Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

I hate seeing positivity on this forum regarding SGUs cancellation. SGU was unique, the acting was great, some of the episodes were amazing. Some of the fillers were a bit **** but thats mainly because I was counting down the episodes until the finale. I don't know why exactly but SyFy or whoever it is has ****ed up big time. Admittedly I download the episodes but im in the UK and they can't get ratings from my TV anyway.
                I am about to watch the series finale episode and if as I suspect, it ends in a total cliffhanger and doesn't answer the main mystery of SGU (that background radiation/sign of intelligence stuff), it will be a complete FAILURE and I hope whoever is responsible loses their job. They have a responsibility to bring a movie out atleast, even if they lose more money. it is just so disappointing to see such talent (writing, acting etc) wasted

i'll probably post another rant in about 45 minutes once i've watched it

Comment

One thing I think should be pointed out, since so many are mentioning ratings, is that the ratings of a show is just speculation. They'll poll a small group of people and then take the number of people in that group that liked a show and estimate how many that would be for the population as a whole.

Further, the population that is considered is the American population. So of a total human population of 7 billion only 300,000 are considered, of which only a small portion are polled.

I've just always found that interesting when ever I hear a show only got 1.4 million viewers.

@SupremeLegate
                  Apogee Institute
                  Council

Congito, ergo sum - congito

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeLegate View Post
                    One thing I think should be pointed out, since so many are mentioning ratings, is that the ratings of a show is just speculation. They'll poll a small group of people and then take the number of people in that group that liked a show and estimate how many that would be for the population as a whole.

Further, the population that is considered is the American population. So of a total human population of 7 billion only 300,000 are considered, of which only a small portion are polled.

I've just always found that interesting when ever I hear a show only got 1.4 million viewers.
                    nevertheless, that's the number that matters when advertisers are deciding what to pay. at least as far as we're made aware.

additionally - we're provided those numbers via the Gateworld site. we're not told the actual recorded viewers. thus, we work with the numbers we're given.

i hear what you're saying - but it's like being handed a block of cheese and being told to make a hotdog. gotta work with the materials available.
                    Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Pharoh,
                      There are millions of us. How about if we contribute say $10 per person? I know, I know, dreaming and just don't want to give up but it is over and that is the way it is. The actors have gone on to other projects and wish them all well and great success.

Comment

Pharoh,
                        There are millions of us. How about if we contribute say $10 per person? I know, I know, dreaming and just don't want to give up but it is over and that is the way it is. The actors have gone on to other projects and wish them all well and great success.
                        even were i willing,* i don't have that $10 to donate. hell, i refuse charities when they're collecting in the street.

i'm sure that, while there are people who agree with you, there are people who feel like myself as well - the money can be better spent in our own lives.

SGU's viewership was going down enough to be unprofitable. we, the viewers, typically pay something somewhere for our viewings - be it our internet fees, our TV licenses, our cable subs, whatever. it can be phone bills for anyone if they download or stream on their mobile/cellphone (i don't even know if that's possible, but hey.) advertisers have been paying money to use the show. we'd be paying for the show to be made, while someone else basically makes the advertising cost as 'company profit' then expect more donations to go further forward, citing that the income doesn't match production costs. on a personal note, i find that unpalatable. that said, i'm also not in the US, i can't be counted as a viewer in the ratings anyway.

*just to clarify, S2 was the last season i would have watched anyway. my response to what you've suggested is based on: what if i did desire to watch S3? this response is not on my own choice to stop watching SGU.
                        Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

wow just finished watching it. How can they end the series like that? no closure at all. utter failure

Comment

Originally posted by nub View Post
                            wow just finished watching it. How can they end the series like that? no closure at all. utter failure
                            The ep was filmed and all finished before the cancelation came down.
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

The only one I can blame for the whole disaster is SyFy. They are the once who make the decisions. What to renew, what to cancel, what to give one more try.

And everyone is saying that SyFy don´t make money with SGU, well I do not believe that. Can anyone proof that statement? Maybe they do not cash in as much as hoped, but the channel have Wrestling and some pretty laughable B-movies for that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nub View Post
                                Yeah, but the good thing is, we have someone to blame.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X