This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graybrew1 View Post
    Well, what night of the week would YOU have put it on? It was dying on Friday, It did not make it on Tuesday and it tanked on Monday. Not many days left. It was a sound idea to pick a night that the network had previous success on to try and save the struggling show. So, like I said? Would you have put it on what...Wednesday,Thursday, Saturday or Sunday? Because he proved with the numbers that it was dying on Friday.
    Agreed. To the extent non-show things were a problem, I think the biggest was simply not running it in the summer. You're a cable channel airing niche programming (at least nominally). You have to strike when they are weak.

ED: I should point out I think it would have died SLOWER on Friday and who knows what it would have done with a wrestling lead in.

Comment

Well, what night of the week would YOU have put it on? It was dying on Friday, It did not make it on Tuesday and it tanked on Monday. Not many days left. It was a sound idea to pick a night that the network had previous success on to try and save the struggling show. So, like I said? Would you have put it on what...Wednesday,Thursday, Saturday or Sunday? Because he proved with the numbers that it was dying on Friday.
      I never said that the move itself was not justified (see the 2nd sentence of post #145), what I questioned is where they moved it to. Does that argument at least make sense to you?

The scenario sitting in the meeting is that they need to move it somewhere. I'd think that logic would dictate that they'd move the show to a night of the week where they know that their target demographic has control of the remote. Moving it to a Tuesday seems ill-conceived in that considering what was and is rating very highly there, surely that should suggest that the scifi geek in the household is not the one deciding what channel the tv is on? Syfy should have the relevant data, I'm sure they could have done better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        Also, this paragraph stood out as well...
        Indeed. Another Syfy employee trying to pass the buck. Strange that Syfy acknowledged it was a joint decision while they were still in business with MGM, and now that they're not they're laying the blame with them. As you'd expect for Syfy, very classy moves.

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        W13 was hitting over 3 Million viewers there. It would silly not to try and get those viewers on board for SGU. Also, remember the X-mas special that ran a week after SGU, it spiked in viewers.
        He said he believed everyone who was likely to sample the show already had. Even if that didn't contradict the reasoning behind the move, which it clearly does, how can simply airing on a Tuesday somehow capture some of W13's viewers? If people are watching a Syfy show on a Tuesday it's because there's a show they like there, not because staring at the TV during that timeslot is a weekly ritual. Besides, the only episodes which did well on a Tuesday that ran in the fall were a season finale and a one-off special. It's hardly a Syfy stronghold.

I think the obvious conclusion is that SGU was hung out to dry for Sanctuary, just as Sanctuary is being hung out to dry for Urban Legends. The only difference is Sanctuary has a new season to look forward to, though who knows how the reckless shifting of the schedule will impact it's fourth season numbers.

Originally posted by Graybrew1 View Post
        Well, what night of the week would YOU have put it on? It was dying on Friday, It did not make it on Tuesday and it tanked on Monday. Not many days left.
        It would have gained a 3 million plus lead-in had it stayed on a Friday. Also, Sanctuary is tanking harder on Mondays than SGU was, it's lost nearly half of it's viewers after being moved from the Friday slot, coincidently around the same number of viewers SGU would have needed to survive.
        Last edited by KEK; 12 May 2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I just watched the Space Channel's Innerspace special that they ran after the finale of SGU - so nice, and gave the crew and some of the creators a chance to thank the fans and talk about the ending.

And what did Syfy do to thank its long-term fans?

Did it even scroll a text message saying "thank you for your long support!".

Nope.

I think part of the backlash against Syfy could have been minimized if they had made an effort to say, hey, we know a lot of you are long-time Syfy (and SciFi) channel fans, thanks for the ride.
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I think part of the backlash against Syfy could have been minimized if they had made an effort to say, hey, we know a lot of you are long-time Syfy (and SciFi) channel fans, thanks for the ride.
            lol, as we've been told many times, Syfy is a business. The good graces of fans don't matter, only the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
              high cost, low viewers...yep, great profits. maybe it would have gotten more viewers, but the current market potential of SGU isn't worth the risk, from a business perspective.
              What was the average # of viewers per ep.. 1.3 mil or so.

How much does it cost to make a single 2 hrs film? what 20 mil?

So at the current 18.99 or so bucks a new DVD costs to get, that is just under 25 mil.. 5 mil in profit.

even were i willing,* i don't have that $10 to donate. hell, i refuse charities when they're collecting in the street.

i'm sure that, while there are people who agree with you, there are people who feel like myself as well - the money can be better spent in our own lives.
              True. But you take 1 buck from all who watch it live and 50 cents from all those who downloaded it all over the world, that would imo get you 3-4 mil... IMO enough for another ep.

And have it where we can do it that way.

Choosing to no longer watch Syfy can be a consumer decision, in the same way as choosing to no longer patronize a restaurant or store that no longer values you as a customer.
              Well said. There are plenty of places i no longer patronize cause of they either don't cater to what i want/like/need, or they restrict things i like..

Give it a second chance by moving it to a night where the TV viewing audience doesn't even think of the word 'Syfy'? Sure, whatever. Even when the show's momentum did pick up in Season 2 it didn't have any chance to get that audience. The show was being killed, plain and simple.
              Which night would that be??

And this right here is what murdered SGU. After the "Life" dropoff it still had a conceivable chance to recover but then Syfy cut the show off for ~5 months leaving that episode as the last impression for a good chunk of the audience. Tossing an arbitrary break into the mix killed any chance of a bounceback that "Space" could have brought because after five months of having "Life" sticking out like a sore thumb it was screwed.
              Very good point. Prior to that it seemed we at least had a 1.8 mil average..

I'd say Saturday, when there is little else to watch on tv..

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                lol, as we've been told many times, Syfy is a business. The good graces of fans don't matter, only the bottom line.
                Space is a business, too. Both are cable TV channels. One handles its business with more class, in my personal opinion.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                  Indeed. Another Syfy employee trying to pass the buck. Strange that Syfy acknowledged it was a joint decision while they were still in business with MGM, and now that they're not they're laying the blame with them. As you'd expect for Syfy, very classy moves.

Oh the Irony.

It would have gained a 3 million plus lead-in had it stayed on a Friday. Also, Sanctuary is tanking harder on Mondays than SGU was, it's lost nearly half of it's viewers after being moved from the Friday slot, coincidently around the same number of viewers SGU would have needed to survive.[/QUOTE]
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Space has the luxury of being a middle group. Its not their job to announce the greenlit/ends because they finance 0% of the show
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Space has the luxury of being a middle group. Its not their job to announce the greenlit/ends because they finance 0% of the show
                      So, what does that have to do with airing a good-bye special?

Also, they finance 0% of the show? So, what, they get it for free? I'm assuming they pay MGM something, right?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                        So, what does that have to do with airing a good-bye special?

Also, they finance 0% of the show? So, what, they get it for free? I'm assuming they pay MGM something, right?
                        I think unfair criteria of judging SyFy versus Space. They have less responsbility in the end. Space pays for airing not production that SyFy contributes too.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                          I never said that the move itself was not justified (see the 2nd sentence of post #145), what I questioned is where they moved it to. Does that argument at least make sense to you?

The scenario sitting in the meeting is that they need to move it somewhere. I'd think that logic would dictate that they'd move the show to a night of the week where they know that their target demographic has control of the remote. Moving it to a Tuesday seems ill-conceived in that considering what was and is rating very highly there, surely that should suggest that the scifi geek in the household is not the one deciding what channel the tv is on? Syfy should have the relevant data, I'm sure they could have done better than that.
                          Seriously, that makes no sense. I am the Scifi geek with my remote control. I watched it on Tuesdays, Fridays and Mondays. The problem is not enough people were watching it on any night. Syfy used the "revevant data" it had and chose Tuesdays. This is just an emotional response from the loss of your show. I get it. But it makes no sense.
                          Posting at.............
                          http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I think unfair criteria of judging SyFy versus Space. They have less responsbility in the end. Space pays for airing not production that SyFy contributes too.
                            Why is it unfair?

I'm not talking about cancellation, promotion, or anything else. Just how the two channels, both of which aired the same show to fans, handled showing the last episode. One did a special, one did nothing.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post

Oh the Irony.

It would have gained a 3 million plus lead-in had it stayed on a Friday. Also, Sanctuary is tanking harder on Mondays than SGU was, it's lost nearly half of it's viewers after being moved from the Friday slot, coincidently around the same number of viewers SGU would have needed to survive.[/QUOTE
                              wat

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                                wat
                                Apparently, Gatefan now blames Syfy as well, or perhaps it is just an editing error.

Kind of funny, anyway.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X