This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of Religion

Anyone else notice that practically everyone on the ship is faithless?

The scientist, I can understand somewhat. Many, if not most scientists, have lost or never had religion. Military however tend to have some religion. At least for the sake of when they are about to die. But for the rest of the civilians like Chloe, where is her religion?

And Scott, he was going to be Priest for goodness sake, and now he has lost all religion? His faith should be expressed. I mean, even if it was just one person that expressed their faith. Jew, Muslim, Wiccan, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, whatever. Someone on that ship should have a faith, and it would make the show a little more realistic if at some point during one of the montages we saw someone praying.
    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

I sense something....The sound of a thousand trolls. Stampeding towards this thread with a fiery tongue and thirst for sustenance.

Yes...there will be much trolling in this thread.
    We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
    —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
    —Ricky Gervais

Comment

You missed the episode where a large chunk of the people aboard were praying then I take it?

If anything I think it's probably unrealistic how many religious people there are, given what these people know about the history of Earth, the Ancients, ascension etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
        If anything I think it's probably unrealistic how many religious people there are, given what these people know about the history of Earth, the Ancients, ascension etc.
        I agree. I've always wondered about that, if the Stargate program were ever made public, how the clergy and other religious folk would react (Especially the WASP's lol).
        We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
        —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
        —Ricky Gervais

Comment

Leave religion the hell out of this !!! lol

As for your statement, maybe there isn't religion, however SGU is VERY spiritual, you cannot deny that.
          sigpic

Comment

Scott prayed during Darkness and your forgetting about Dr Caine who became very spiritual if not in the traditional sense

Comment

Originally posted by dacooker View Post
              Leave religion the hell out of this !!! lol

As for your statement, maybe there isn't religion, however SGU is VERY spiritual, you cannot deny that.
              I agree that it's very spiritual and there has been displays of the Christian faith openly in at least a couple of episodes. The whole Faith planet and its little feet making trails through other episodes is definitely spiritual. That being said, I;m with dacooker on this - religion can stay out
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Generally I don't like religion all over the shows I watch so I'm glad it's at a minimum.
                sigpic

Comment

I think their have been more then a few episodes that show these people have their faith and religion. They just keep it to themselves and not invoke their beliefs on others. Dr. Caine being the exception
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

no one needs to even say anything or broadcast it. A tattoo or a necklace pendant would suffice.
                    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Indeed. Plus these people wouldn't broadcast their faith in their everyday lives, most people don't.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by kernl sandrs View Post
                        I agree. I've always wondered about that, if the Stargate program were ever made public, how the clergy and other religious folk would react (Especially the WASP's lol).
                        I've wondered about that too; especially since I hear a lot of stuff about how aliens from space would be demons or something along those lines & mean us harm. When I read that I couldn't help thinking of both the Wraith & Goaul'd & how funny it would be if the SG Program was real & was revealed. Those people would be right! And of course: slightly freaked out.

Comment

They all have religion. They just spell their deity with the letters G-R-E-E-D. Or was it M-E--M-E--M-E?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                            They all have religion. They just spell their deity with the letters G-R-E-E-D. Or was it M-E--M-E--M-E?
                            That's rather ridiculous, I think. Did you miss the very thoughtful and incredibly touching conversation that TJ and Riley had 2 episodes ago? About religion and what happens after you die? There wasn't a greedy or selfish moment there.
                            sigpic
                            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Why have it just for the sake of having it? There's no point in that. Besides, as has been mentioned, there have been a couple of occasions where it did arise, and with meaning too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X