Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you accept main characters switch/recasting for SGU's survival?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    That seems more like likeablity then usefullness as a character. Most of the cast of a TV show is ultimately expendable as the show could go on fine without them. In SGU's case I think the only real exception is Rush and Young.
    To me Greer is irreplaceable because while Young leads we need a regular viewpoint for the man on the front line. Hard to care about some random soldier on the frontline. But easier to be invested in a character that is shown and given growth too . Hence the importance of Greer. Eli is an audience surrogate and one played to be sympathetic with. Hence why both are irreplaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
      To me Greer is irreplaceable because while Young leads we need a regular viewpoint for the man on the front line. Hard to care about some random soldier on the frontline. But easier to be invested in a character that is shown and given growth too . Hence the importance of Greer. Eli is an audience surrogate and one played to be sympathetic with. Hence why both are irreplaceable.
      And yet, I have no sympathy for him at all.

Comment

who's to say SGu isn't surviving
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Greer can be replaced by Scott, James or someone else to give a soldier's viewpoint. Like Eli they are there to enhance the show but could go on if the character was let go
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't want character's to go for any other reason than it's how the story is intended to play out. Otherwise it's just forced and ends up sucking.

Comment

no recasting. no way. however replacements are fine, especially if the replacements are not carbon copies. also it would be nice if some LA guys joined the cause properly

Comment

As long as they keep Rush, Young, Greer, TJ, and Eli.
                The rest....I don't care if they are replaced.

Comment

Greer can be replaced by Scott, James or someone else to give a soldier's viewpoint. Like Eli they are there to enhance the show but could go on if the character was let go
                  I would have taken the opposite approach.

Drop Scott, and make James the de facto 2iC (of the military), but keep her as an important recurring guest star. Greer can then take lead as the main pair of boots on the ground.

Scott's eyes wide open, (sometimes) deer-in-the-headlights mentality is already there for some of the other characters, but Greer's level headed commitment to the cause is rare on SGU. Getting rid of Greer would, for me, take out any order that is already scarce to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                    I would have taken the opposite approach.

Drop Scott, and make James the de facto 2iC (of the military), but keep her as an important recurring guest star. Greer can then take lead as the main pair of boots on the ground.

Scott's eyes wide open, (sometimes) deer-in-the-headlights mentality is already there for some of the other characters, but Greer's level headed commitment to the cause is rare on SGU. Getting rid of Greer would, for me, take out any order that is already scarce to be found.
                    The replacing isn't the point just that most of them are really replaceable if the worst has to happen
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

The replacing isn't the point just that most of them are really replaceable if the worst has to happen
                      And my point was Greer has more potential worth (imo) than Scott or James, so if the culling starts, it should start at the bottom >.>

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                        And my point was Greer has more potential worth (imo) than Scott or James, so if the culling starts, it should start at the bottom >.>
                        It was just an example. I'm not about to say as far replacing characters goes which one is better then the other. That was never the point.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Jelgate is right. The point of this thread and the formulation of the title is not about "what is your least favorite characters" or "what is your most favorite characters". That's why I took the example of Rush, a character most people like or love to hate, because for financial consideration anybody could go. In fact, somebody like RC could be one of the first to go if he receives more and more tempting offers to make it big in Hollywood or something (yes, I know what he said, but you know...). But i wasn't thinking about only one character, I was thinking about quite a few characters along the years that could be leave and be replaced by new main characters. Kind of like Law and Order or what Criminal Minds did.

But I understand how this thread could dwelve on the "which character are essential to the show", since it's a proper angle to take regarding my question. Personally, I think no character are indispensable, I even wrote above, on another post, how the storyline of Rush could be lended to another new character, if there's a need for it.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                            As long as the death of a character makes sense to the story line, I'm fine with it. It has to be an impactful event that fits in really well for it to work. The same concept applies to new main characters popping up. For example, in season 2, it would make sense if one of the LA members became a regular or recurring character on the show.

Also don't make the same mistakes as in SGA with the whole Weir deal. That was terribly handled and I hope they've learned from that. Unfinished storylines are the worst.
                            Agreed however I thought the on screen handling of Weir was fine they did finish her story. *puts up weir fan flamer shield*
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                              Agreed however I thought the on screen handling of Weir was fine they did finish her story. *puts up weir fan flamer shield*
                              Looks for flamethrower...

Kidding.

Mostly.

At least she did better then Ford. Aw Ford..they dropped a bridge on him . Put the body on a bus then crashed the bus..

Comment

Looks for flamethrower...

Kidding.

Mostly.

At least she did better then Ford. Aw Ford..they dropped a bridge on him . Put the body on a bus then crashed the bus..
                                I don't know who did better but Enzyme Ford was much better than newbie Ford, that's for sure. Now I just can't wait for archeologist Chloe or ship Avatar Chloe.
                                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Working...
                                X