Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is Destiny heading? (Speculation thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
    if that's the case, then that violates the law that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.......
    No law prevents space from expanding faster than the speed of light, which it must have during a period of hyperinflation so that the temperature is uniform no matter which direction we look.

Comment

The Astral Diner from threads. The Ancients wanted waffle's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rizen View Post
        Actually, no.

General Relativity permits FTL in certain circumstances.

As the article indicates, travel faster than C is possible, and has been demonstrated in the laboratory. BUT, this is completely useless from a practical standpoint because neither information (or matter) can be transmitted faster than light, according to Special relativity.

When people are talking about cosmological inflation (space getting 'bigger') imagine a balloon and a marker. You place two dots on the balloon, and then you inflate it. The dots are now much further apart, although the dots themselves have not moved (if this is giving you problems, replace marker dots with pennies taped to the balloon). It is the SPACE between them that has expanded. This is what happened in the big bang, and continues to happen.

If the Universe really did have an 'end' it'd probably be very similar to old video games, like Pac-Man where you just pop up on the other side of the screen/universe.

Here's a pretty good primer on Cosmology.
        The phase velocity of an electromagnetic wave, when traveling through a medium, can routinely exceed c, the vacuum velocity of light. Also, the group velocity of a wave (e.g. a light beam) may also exceed c in some circumstances. This is not the same as travel faster than c.

Comment

I just want the design of Destiny to be of importance in some way, so it's not just any ship, but it must be the Destiny ship that arrives there!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
            ^ Your Star Builder Theory holds up with his idea. Maybe the Star Builders made the Great Attractor?
            The Great Attractor is "only" between 150 and 250 million light years away. Destiny has travelled much, much farther than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cylykon View Post
              The phase velocity of an electromagnetic wave, when traveling through a medium, can routinely exceed c, the vacuum velocity of light. Also, the group velocity of a wave (e.g. a light beam) may also exceed c in some circumstances. This is not the same as travel faster than c.
              Cerenkov radiation

Information has recently been proved to travel faster than light - although mainly through quantum entanglement (a quirky bit of physics where 2 quantum particles have a shared link between them, as and soon as you know information about 1 particle, you instantly know info about the other no matter where it is in space) and is being used as 'quantum teleportation'.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                • It wouldn't make sense that the ancients sent Destiny on a mission that was millions of years long (Possible up to 50 million years) a mission that was a couple of thousand years maybe..
                Why wouldn't it make sense?

Comment

The fact that it would of taken Destiny millions of years to reach it's destination to me means that its destination doesn't change its characterisitics over time, i.e. it couldn't be a battle/species of alien (which probably would of evolved in that time)/planet of known importance (as other races could get there quicker) etc.

Does that sound reasonable> If it is 'of cosmic importance' then perhaps it is something that threatens the existance of life across the Universe?
                  sigpic

Comment

Methinks Destiny is heading for the home planet of the race of aliens we saw in http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s3/321.shtml episode of SG1
                    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott7070 View Post
                      The fact that it would of taken Destiny millions of years to reach it's destination
                      are you sure about that?

maybe once it was manned it would take much less time........
                      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

My turn.

There are 3 known element to Destiny. There is Seeder Ship, Destiny itself, and the Star gates.

If Destiny is on a journey to a final Destination, you got to ask why do you travel 1st? In this case, you are seeking something or returning something...

So a couple of question come to mind, why are there 2 ships? Could they not have made a single giant ship? Why was there a separation?

Are the 2 ships carrying something that has to be left very far apart, like 2 parts of a giant bomb? Is the Stargate construction process lethal to the crew? Is there something on the Seeder ship that allows it to go faster, but it would kill the crew?

The answer lies in the Stargates.....The big question in my head, is why are the stargates placed along destinies flight path and no where else? Why does the last Gate at the edge of the Galaxy able to dial Inter-galactic on its own power?

I forgot the esp name, but do you remember how the gates were set up in a daisy chain, so they could go from gate to gate, but not across the galaxy? Probably due to the age of the technology, but why allows the gates to connect to each other, if they could only connect to destiny? For rescue, or there is another reason for it.

Does anyone remember the Inter-galactic Gate bridge used in SGA? It allowed in 10 mins the ability to cross a galaxy on "low" power. What happens if this is happening, but its not across from one galaxy to another, but across the universe? What are they seeking that would require such a means of transport?

A new source of Energy? somekind of inter-galatic transport tube to move an object? There is something at the end of the destination they want, and the gates either represent a ticket home for the crew at the end, or a means of transporting something across the universe.

If its of Cosmic importance, then it has to be about saving the Universe or something that will change the universe forever.

My take is that. 2 Seeder ships were built, One was sent to the center of the universe and the other to the edge of the universe. As we know the universe is constantly expanding, it would be harder to actually reach the edge of the universe, more so if you needed a specific point on the edge.

Beyond the Universe, there is something, lets just call it Dark matter. The substance that caused the big bang in the 1st place. The center of the Universe is running on a limited amount of Dark matter, before the universe begins to collapse back on itself. If it collapse on itself, the universe will cease to be in existence. So Destinies real mission, is to punch a hole at the weakest point at the edge of the universe. and use the Stargate on it, to feed the Dark matter back into the gate network for transport to the core of the universe, thus preventing the universe from collapsing upon it self.

The 1st Seeder ship, sent to the center of the universe lays gates just like the 1st, but does not have a Destiny class ship following it.

Destiny' Seeder ship mission,

1. to track a weak spot at the edge of the universe,
                        2. build a series of stargates to transport dark matter back to its sister ship heading toward the core of the universe.
                        3. Pre-plan a safe flight path for destiny.

Destiny was launch separate from the Seeder ship, for a few possible reasons:
                        1. Destiny ability to slice the edge of the universe was still in development at launch. This would give them time to perfect the technology, and also crew access to the gates along the way to gain resources and supplies as needed. Information of whats ahead of you is very important.

2. Destiny has to fly through a pre-determine corridor in space, to prevent it from cutting a weak spot in the fabric of space. One reason why it does not use Standard Hyperspace engines, because the ship would rip the Universe a new one if it did. So it had to use an alternate form of FTL travel, which could be much slower than the Seeder ships Hyperspace engines.

So I envision, the Seedership to be waiting at the Edge of the Universe (current) for Destiny to arrive. Upon Arrival, it would have the tools to repair Destiny. Destiny would then pierce the fabric of space at the very edge of the Universe to allow dark matter to flow in. The Stargates would activate and transport the dark matter to the center of the universe, fueling its expansion once more.

Destiny's designs about applying a lot of force to single point. Thus so many engines, pushing a tiny tip of the craft to Perice into the great unknown.

From there, the universe will continue to expand. as Destiny stays in the same place,the amount of Dark matter will dwindle down and Destiny would stop the process. The Seedership would then jump into Hyperspace seeding more stargates along the way. Repeating the cycle endless.

The crew chance at returning home, would be at the end of the process, when destiny has just enough energy left to connect to earth to allow the original crew to return to earth, before continuing its long endless voyage once again.

Thus the mission of Destiny, was to simply to keep the universe going so everyone could for fill their destiny.

May I have your thoughts?

Comment

Just got some interesting information regarding Deastiny's purpose. SERIOUSLY IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS DONT LOOK!:
                          Spoiler:
                          Destiny is looking for a giant cosmic cow and seeking the milk of life it secreets..haha

Comment

Dekker,

I like your hypothesis but for this fact, the Universe has no "edge" or "center".
                            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                              Dekker,

I like your hypothesis but for this fact, the Universe has no "edge" or "center".
                              Scot. I agree, its what little my human mind understands. LOL. However that being said, I still think the gates are a transport network for something very big.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                                Dekker,

My only worry is that the writers don't understand this either. Hopefully having John Scalzi as a consultant will help, as I remember when their original idea for SGU leaked it was riddled with scientific nonsense about Destiny travelling to 'older' parts of the universe where entropy had taken hold

Comment

Working...
                                X