Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is Destiny heading? (Speculation thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the Kokomo. We'll get there fast then baby we'll take it slow...
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      But Science Fiction springs from science itself. If they used something that contradicts every single observation made of the Universe thus far, then it would no longer have anything to do with science whatsoever. It'd be nonsense.
      It's hard to come up with that conclusion if you've watched any of the syfy/scifi original movies. Some of them are very far off the path of reality / science.

SGU is slightly different in that we WANT IT to be true. That little bit of hope that if we're a grunt or a fry cook, that one day poof, we suddently know more about the universe than any other person back on earth.

Comment

its heading towards a cosmic dartboard in a galaxy far far away......
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
          its heading towards a cosmic dartboard in a galaxy far far away......
          "100 points! Boo yah! Take that, other ethereal being! Bonus points for all the hoo-mans I killed too! I AM THE GREATEST!"

"*grumble grumble*. Another game?"

"Okay man, just got to reset the board."

Universe reset.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I honestly can't think of a way that a 'gate bridge' could link into the destiny having to travel so far away but I'm sure that is the point of having all these Stargate's put in a straight line...

Maybe Destiny's 'purpose' has been mis-understood.

Rather than assuming that it is going somewhere or to something the purpose of Destiny could be, for example, a weapon. That is probably the least likely one actually lol but it makes my point.

Comment

Sami,

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
              Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.
              Bah, Obi Wan was full of poop. He lied to Luke and is trying to use a post hoc rationaliation to justify his lie (or Lucas was desperately attempting some sort of Retcon.)

Actually, Destiny was on its way to Pizmo Beach and took a wrong turn at Albequrque.
              Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 06 July 2010, 02:17 PM.
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

My theory, copied from the "Tech on Destiny" thread:

Okay, I have a theory. (Disclaimer: I have not watched everything Stargate so if I'm vastly wrong by all means correct me.)

Destiny is following -at an unknown rate or distance- the Stargate seeder ships, perhaps as a way of testing if the gates work or whatever. What if Earths ancient Stargate, the ancient one from Egypt (I haven't seen if theres more than one on Earth) was the last Stargate the seeder ships planted? Maybe the explanation as to why there has been no kino's etc is because Destiny and the secrets she holds just hasn't reached Earth YET or the other galaxies our SG crews have explored. Would that even be possible?

Comment

Been thinking about where Destiny is going, and the spoilers that we were given say that the crew will want to follow Destiny to it's destination because it will get them home. How could this be?

What if... you reach one side of the universe and wrap around to the other side? Maybe that's what the Ancients figured out, and Destiny was to test it. Fly in Destiny long enough, and you'll get back to Earth, or at least their galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                    Been thinking about where Destiny is going, and the spoilers that we were given say that the crew will want to follow Destiny to it's destination because it will get them home. How could this be?

What if... you reach one side of the universe and wrap around to the other side? Maybe that's what the Ancients figured out, and Destiny was to test it. Fly in Destiny long enough, and you'll get back to Earth, or at least their galaxy.
                    Interesting theory.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                      Bah, Obi Wan was full of poop.
                      Blasphemy.

Comment

Destiny doesnt seem like it is going anywhere in particular. It was sent out to see what is going on with the rest of the universe. It could have been launched to try and determine the best galaxies to try to colonize. they did it with Pegasus and could have very well done it with the galaxy the was explored right after pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTimm View Post
                          Destiny doesnt seem like it is going anywhere in particular. It was sent out to see what is going on with the rest of the universe. It could have been launched to try and determine the best galaxies to try to colonize. they did it with Pegasus and could have very well done it with the galaxy the was explored right after pegasus.
                          We've been told by TPTB that Destiny is in fact going somewhere specific. And we'll find out where in Season 2. The interesting thing, is that they told us that the destination will make the crew decide to rough it out and continue on because it will lead to them getting home. Either there's something at the end that will teleport them home, or somehow, Destiny is gonna wrap around known space and end up back at the beginning.

Edit: the only other thing I can think of, is that it's headed to the center of the universe. But I'm not sure how they could get back home from there.

Comment

Maybe we have it all wrong, and Destiny has already followed the seeder ships as far as it was supposed to and is now heading backwards along a close to, but different path towards earth.

Comment

The spoilers never mentioned it would bring them home, it said that
                              Spoiler:
                              the Destiny has a destination of cosmic importance.

“so important that it overshadows the desire for the crew to get home, and that by fulfilling this new mission, it may in fact allow them to get home.”

Last time i checked, cosmic importance is way past stranded-tiny-group-of-humans importance.

But i like the wrap around theory.

Comment

I don't know how it would work, but I wouldn't mind it if the Ancients figured out there was something out in space that could 'explode' and threaten all the lifeforms throughout the Universe, and Destiny has to go and fix the problem. The hows and whys I haven't bothered to think about, but I like the idea of Universal life being in peril.

However, “so important that it overshadows the desire for the crew to get home, and that by fulfilling this new mission, it may in fact allow them to get home” appears to me to imply they will find an energy source they could bring home with almost infinite usage and can power the stargate to dial anywhere (inc. Earth).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X