This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Music Montages - Fan Petition to leave them out

Am I the only one getting tired of the musical montages in SGU?

I was ok with them first couple episodes since they seemed to use them to show the characters realizing that they're stranded and starting to cope/grieve. Now they just seem to be annoying filler, I mean the last episode had 2 of them if I remember right, one full song and part of another later. That was what, 8 minutes of characters just staring off into space or doing things that have nothing really to do with the episode's plot? The way this is going I wouldn't be surprised if they just did a whole episode with everyone just staring off into some dark and flickering hallway while listening to some new pop crap that they shouldn't even know about since they've been lost in space longer than it's been out. It'd be one thing if it was just some music soundtrack while they do something, but this just seems to be just to sell the artists crap and it really just takes away from the show now.

When I think back to SG-1 and SGA, there were only a few of these that I could think of, the main two that spring to mind for me are CCR in SG-1's Unending, and Johnny Cash in SGA's Vegas. Both of which seemed to accomplish more than all but the first two in SGU combined, and which made it so I can't hear those songs without thinking of the shows in a good way. I'm sure there's others, but I can't think of them and I know they didn't do it every episode like SGU is doing.

tl;dr - I'm getting really sick of the music filler in SGU. Other than that I like the show.

Originally posted by ShiniBents View Post
    Am I the only one getting tired of the musical montages in SGU?
    Did this question really need a new thread?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
      What it said.

Probie, do some scoping of the forum. Find the similar threads. Post there. Reduce our headaches. Thanks for playing.
      Last edited by MattSilver 3k; 19 April 2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: Gender confusion. Go with what you know, I should!
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I think the use of contemporary music in the show is great. I can't name another sci-fi show where this kind of music is used. Also Eli is pretty much a character we've never seen in sci-fi shows. And it's possible because none of the other shows are similar to Stargate- in the way that it takes place here and now, with Earth people.

I think the songs and Eli make this show look more realistic. I mean, you can find Young or Rush types in every sci-fi show but having someone in a stupid t-shirt make a comment about the "Genesis Device" while they are talking is pretty damn unique. So I understand some Republican family friendly types, especially in their 40s, who believe that a real sci-fi show should have orchestra and larger-than-life characters instead of this (you know, like TREK). Republicans are generally people who don't like change. I'm not an American but a conservative is everywhere a conservative... and given the fact Stargate is military sci-fi and conservatives/republicans like military stuff a lot, I think they are the majority (or there are a significant number of them) who watch the show and they hate these things...

So no wonder there's so much hate towards Eli character and songs used in Stargate. People are different and their view of world and things are different...
        - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

I'm not a fan of the music filler either.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
            Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            What it said.

Probie, do some scoping of the forum. Find the similar threads. Post there. Reduce our headaches. Thanks for playing.
            To both of you, I looked back and didn't see a thread about this and I wasn't going to search the entire board for it. Unless you're talking about the Contemporary Music one that is pinned, which when I looked in there looked more like a discussion on what the songs were rather than complaints about them. As I don't like the music and don't care what the songs are I wasn't going to read pages in a thread about them.

Sorry that I wanted to see other peoples opinion on this. I'll go back to lurking then since I obviously made your day that much worse, or you could've just not posted in this thread and ignored it if it was that big of a nuisance to you. Thanks for reminding me why I don't post on forums.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiniBents View Post
              Thanks for reminding me why I don't post on forums.
              Well, laziness is not an excuse. But you're welcome.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I like the musical montage, slap me silly with them pls especially if they show some skin

nothing like the sight of a seminude woman backdropped by some sweet sweet music
                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

I agree but will the TPTB listen?
                  when hell freezes.

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
                    the TPTB
                    That's redundant.

Comment

I've also enjoyed the music in SGU. I hope they put together an SGU soundtrack. I'd buy it.
                      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Someone should do a music video of SGU footage to the Montage song from Team America

Comment

I don't dislike them on principle, but the use of them has been a bit jarring at times. They often seem to come out of nowhere. I don't remember any complaints when one was used in SG-1's finale though, so they have their uses.

Comment

I know I've seen the sentiment expressed from quite a few, so starting this thread in the hopes it can carry over to the production staff.

To any people at SG production, can you please stop the music montages? Or at least vastly limit their use? The one at the end of Air Part 3 was decent, but out of all of them, that's the only one that worked okay. The rest... didn't. I'm sorry, but they don't

It's really looks like your dad joining his son's friends and going, "Yo, what is up, my home boys? Can you dig it, dog? Do you like hanging at my crib? Let us go kick it!"

Meanwhile, the son is covering his face in shame, and the rest of his friends are laughing and the general feeling is one of awkwardness as dad tries to be cool and hip. I really, really, don't want dad to try and be hip, because he can't.

Stargate doesn't need to be "hip" and "modern" and copy things other shows do to make it in ratings. Trying to include it now, just makes it stick out as obvious young viewer copycat grab. You don't need it, as SGU is a fine show and can stand on its own.

So please, if you agree, then sign here. If you think they just need to cut them down, sign and state that you feel they are out of control and need at least some moderation. If you disagree, that's alright; but try to refrain from arguing it here. You can do so in another thread. I'm trying to keep this one to signed petitions only. People who love the music, can start a different thread; it might be interesting to compare the two after awhile and see if we're in the minority or majority.

So, do you feel the music montages need to go? Or at least be pruned?

Comment

How about a fan petition to have more of them?
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X