X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mevi View Post
    theory of relativity
    Theory: "5. scientific principle to explain phenomena: a set of facts, propositions, or principles analyzed in their relation to one another and used, especially in science, to explain phenomena"

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    We know there is no time dilation, the question is why.
    The question isn't, "Why isn't there time dilation?"; the question is, "Why would we expect time dilation?"

However, since we don't have any theory that makes predictions about what happens at relative speeds greater than c, we have no reason to expect time dilation to occur.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

the question is, "Why would we expect time dilation?"
      the answer is, that everyone somehow thinks that relativity applies to faster than light speed. however we have NO idea what would happen with time when you go faster. for speed/energy we do: the less energy the faster you go. theoretically the faster you go, the faster time would go. so i do not see why people think time will go slower when in fact it will go faster

Comment

We don't even know how the engines work, I extremely doubt the ship is literally propelling itself faster then light... then they'd have known to do that aboard the tria... especially with all the more advanced tech.. I think its more likely that its just using some other type of subspace malarky technobabble thats different to the regular
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
          We don't even know how the engines work, I extremely doubt the ship is literally propelling itself faster then light... then they'd have known to do that aboard the tria... especially with all the more advanced tech.. I think its more likely that its just using some other type of subspace malarky technobabble thats different to the regular
          Not necessarily. Newer Lantean ships had intergalactic hyperdrive. FTL wasn't necessary. They altered their sublight engines to go .999 Lightspeed. That is pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
            Not necessarily. Newer Lantean ships had intergalactic hyperdrive. FTL wasn't necessary. They altered their sublight engines to go .999 Lightspeed. That is pretty impressive.
            Good point, the whole Pegasus shanaigans was probably a good 20 million years after Destiny was launched
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              A statement which (appears) to stem from misunderstanding of the word "theory" in a scientific context.
              And there we have it folks. DigiFluid is (I'm guessing) a scientist, whilst the rest of you are fans of Sci-Fi.

Comment

Hopefully we will find out a lot more on the technology that the Destiny has at its disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  for speed/energy we do: the less energy the faster you go.
                  What? Where did you get this?

Energy is proportional to gamma and rest mass. If v>c, gamma becomes imaginary. However, once you move into the complex plane, concepts such as "greater than" or "less than" become somewhat hazy.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Don't forget that time dilation technology exists in the Stargate universe. Even if there were time dilation of some kind with Destiny's FTL drives, it's entirely possible that time dilation tech counteracts it in some manner.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                      Don't forget that time dilation technology exists in the Stargate universe. Even if there were time dilation of some kind with Destiny's FTL drives, it's entirely possible that time dilation tech counteracts it in some manner.
                      Meh... unlikely. It is more likely that we only deal with relativistic effects at NLS , not FTL.

Just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X