This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stopping the destiny

hey was just thinking about the lack of control on the destiny and how they cant stop it from jumping tp ftl why cant they just remove the control crystals or something like that i always wondered why they never did that when the gate was running over 38 mins if you take out some of the technology that makes an engine or a gate then they stop being an engine or a gate dont they?

maybe they cant access those areas yet or its not as simple as that

Comment

Here's the problem with your approach.

Pulling the crystals from say, an active gate is like trying to stop power going through a high tension power cable by using shearing scissors. Bad Idea.

Same deal with the destiny. It's probably a lot like trying to get a car to stop by jamming your hand in the pistons, you might gum things up a bit, maybe even slow them down, but you're not coming out of that with your hand intact.

Until we can find the off switch, it's best to keep our hands out of the working machinery, both for our own as well as its well being.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor One View Post
        Here's the problem with your approach.

Pulling the crystals from say, an active gate is like trying to stop power going through a high tension power cable by using shearing scissors. Bad Idea.

Same deal with the destiny. It's probably a lot like trying to get a car to stop by jamming your hand in the pistons, you might gum things up a bit, maybe even slow them down, but you're not coming out of that with your hand intact.

Until we can find the off switch, it's best to keep our hands out of the working machinery, both for our own as well as its well being.
        i get what your saying especially regarding the active gate part but what about destiny surely its engines are not operating when its out of ftl? and if not everytime it drops out you take out the crystals and give your teams as long as they need to gather supplies when everyone is back put them back in and away you go or am i over simplifying the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by AdmlDj View Post
          i get what your saying especially regarding the active gate part but what about destiny surely its engines are not operating when its out of ftl? and if not everytime it drops out you take out the crystals and give your teams as long as they need to gather supplies when everyone is back put them back in and away you go or am i over simplifying the problem?
          yes but what if when the timer runs out all this energy is built up and tries to get to the engines but cant and then causes an overload

Comment

We also have to take into account Destiny's Ragnarok Proofing, it's probable that in order to damage enough of the systems to effectively thwart the timer and stop the ship, you'd need to do irreparable harm to the FTL drives and adjacent systems.

As the saying goes, don't break what you can't fix.

Comment

Or 'Sabotage' the ship, and have a plan to repair it?
              Sabotage, is an upcoming episode, so we shall see what is possible.

Comment

Given the lack of crystals elsewhere and the general steampunk tech alongside the prototype gate, do the Destiny/seeder ship stargates use crystals?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                  Given the lack of crystals elsewhere and the general steampunk tech alongside the prototype gate, do the Destiny/seeder ship stargates use crystals?
                  I would think so. It seems like to go through space. even sublight requires crystals of some kind
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Not necessarily... quite a few watches today are electronic in nature, using a battery and a small computer to track time.

While mechanical watches still exist they either need to be wound constantly or are a plain PITA on battery requirements.

Both are reliable for tracking time, but electronic watches tend to be more accurate, eat up less battery and tend to last longer then their mechanical counterparts due to there being less wear and tear.

We've come across a lot of impressive and mundane Ancient tech that uses crystals but I'd wager that Destiny uses something a bit more primitive and more prone to breakage and error. While Destiny was sallying forth merrily on its way the Ancient science marched on, replacing the "Mechanical"-equivalent Destiny Era tech with "Electronic"-equivalent Ancient Era tech.

The reason we don't often see non-crystal Ancient tech in the Milky Way or Pegasus, both of which post-date Destiny in-universe, is the same reason we generally don't see steam trains as part of our public transport systems. Electric or Diesel trains work better and more reliably... even if they do lack that little bit of charm.

Incidentally, this happens to explain Rushes deep abiding desire to get to Destiny. He wanted to see the Ancient version of a steam train in action. He wants to break that code because he wants to blow the steam trains whistle-equivalent, a desire borne from his early childhood where he was denied a model train set by his parents given that they were too poor to afford it.

From that day he swore an oath that one day he would find the greatest steam train of all and blow it's whistle for all he was worth! These feelings translated to Destiny when he realised that the only thing cooler than a bona fide period steam train that still worked was a bona fide period ancient spaceship that still worked!

Now I may be crazy at the moment, but I think I have just had an epiphany about Rushes character that suddenly made him crazy awesome in my book. Here's to seeing him blow that whistle!

Comment

if they remove the chrystals the live suporting system could also going down
                      sigpic

Comment

Has anyone actually seen a crystal on Destiny? In anything?

Comment

Remember SGA: Thirty-Eight Minutes? McKay couldn't randomly try different crystals, he had to make an educated guess to which crystals can be safely fooled with.
                          The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                            Has anyone actually seen a crystal on Destiny? In anything?
                            Its pretty much been established that crystals in Stargate that crystals are the only way interstellar (and intergalactic) travel is possible. Every alien species that I can remember from Stargate who can fly has crystal technology. To that end unless stated you have to go with the status quo of assuming the Destiny flies with crystal type technology
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                            X