Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you say stargate universe is sci-fi.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Gattica Scifi?

Yes.

Then SGU is god damn Scifi.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Although I would tend to agree with Captain Obvious, I really do not think television has seen enough criticism. Scream out loud at the non-sense! Please make it worth watching 15 minutes of commercials! Instead of me trolling the interwebs for things worth my time.
      Last edited by Driskoll Xun; 15 November 2009, 06:29 PM.
      Why do I like Stargate? Best premise for low budget sci fi ever. It took me at least 5 seasons to start liking Jack O'Neill. The Re'tu are my favorite SG alien perhaps followed by the Reole.

Comment

Yeah sorta. More like soap-fi or sci-opra.

Comment

SG:U is much more sci-fi than SG:A was.

SG:A was 'stuff happens..in space...and we blow stuff up...in space...so we don't get blown up...in space..." It was action/adventure..in space. Nothing wrong with that for it's own sake.

But if your definition of "sci-fi" is a bit more expansive than "...in space...with futuristic gizmos" than SG:U fits that bill much better. SG:U is much closer to the idea of "introspection about humanity as studied from the perspective of the new and unknown"
          If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
          Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
            SG:U is much more sci-fi than SG:A was.

SG:A was 'stuff happens..in space...and we blow stuff up...in space...so we don't get blown up...in space..." It was action/adventure..in space. Nothing wrong with that for it's own sake.

But if your definition of "sci-fi" is a bit more expansive than "...in space...with futuristic gizmos" than SG:U fits that bill much better. SG:U is much closer to the idea of "introspection about humanity as studied from the perspective of the new and unknown"
            Mental green!
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
              This is actually not true. The first season of Atlantis achieved a much larger average Nielson rating.

If you mean that SGU is doing better than SGA's fifth season, then yes this may be the case, but not by much. Also, can you really compare the 5th season of a show to the 1st season of another? How about we wait for SGU to reach it's 5th season before we draw conclusions on which is doing better...if it makes 5 seasons.
              OK, I'll play this game. The ONLY reason SGA had the ratings it did was because it had SG1 as a lead in. As soon as SG1 ended, there was a solid decline in SGA's ratings. Look up the numbers. THAT is why it got canceled. It could not hold on to the audience that its predecessor built for a good reason. Now SGU is bringing enough viewers to start fixing the problems left behind by SGA.

Now to again state, yes, SGU is scifi, it contains all the elements of any scifi show, it is just not the feel-good, saccharine sweet scifi many people seem to be looking for. I recommend Eureka or warehouse 13 if you want bubblegum scifi.

Comment

Although there were some great episodes after season 7. I liked Atlantis better than the last 3 seasons of SG1.
                Why do I like Stargate? Best premise for low budget sci fi ever. It took me at least 5 seasons to start liking Jack O'Neill. The Re'tu are my favorite SG alien perhaps followed by the Reole.

Comment

It's definitely scifi, I just think that the writers, when they think of 'edgy' and try to write 'edgy' they seem to think it means adult skewed content, sex, violence, etc.

Thing is, in my definition of the word, 'edgy' doesn't mean sex scenes and nudity, etc. It means doing the unexpected. It means that the heroes lose, or do morally indefensible things. It's be Young airlocking a mutineer. Or them stealing food from a group that won't trade. It'd be Young declaring that pregnancies would be a drain on their resources and enforce mandatory abortions if anyone got pregnant.

That's Edgy.

Survival is a dirty and brutal business. Edgy would be showing that. showing how hard it is, how much work has to be done.

So, I do think that the show is scifi. But i think that they confuse the 'edgy' they're aiming for with relationships and plot turns that seem rather soap opera'esque
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yes it most definitely is sci-fi. Even the earth-based episodes.

Comment

Let's remember please, the topic is 'is sgu scifi'

not ratings or which show is better
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Of course it is science fiction. D*** good sci-fi too!
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It has Janelle Monáe, therefore it must be sci-fi
                          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Teen soap in a sci-fi environment. Hopefully that will change.
                            sigpic

Comment

Although Janelle Monae made it feel like a Dukes of Hazard episode, I'm not sorry she was in it. There are plenty of other things about Earth to complain about.

Comment

Yes, they are after all in a ship flying through space.

Comment

Working...
                                X