This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
    Good points. It all seems pretty logical and well thought out.

But one thing that has always bugged me with the gate system is in relation to the below quote...

From my understanding, gates are moved around the galaxy all the time (and the Goauld had one on a ship as well). How the frak is that explained???
    the gates themselves are entirely passive. when you dial a gate, its more akin to "i want to connect to a gate at these coords", you are not dialing a gate, you are dialing the coordinates, and any gate at those coords "answers" by opening a gate.

think of it like TCP/IP

DHD connects to gate, sends sync to those cords
    gate that received sync, acks back to original DHD
    DHD sends sync/ack via gate ( worm hole connection )

there must be some kind of communication prior to the actual gate opening from the point of origin to verify integrity of intervening space. keep in mind the episode where they disable safegards to open the wormhole through the sun for the asgard planet? and also where they go through the black hole and it does the alternate reality stuff?

Comment

Spoiler tags used for space-saving.

Spoiler:
      Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate View Post
      Ok my theory, or at least the way I would do it if I was producer/writer/whatever is this:
      Each Stargate Network, in each galaxy has roughly between 35 and 40 shared Glyphs plus one unique Point of Origin Glyph.
      Each Glyph has Multiple fucntions;
      - They represent a location/point in space within their home galaxy.
      This ones pretty straight forward, we all understand it.
      - They match up with Glyphs in other Galaxies
      Glyph 1 on a MW gate, is used to represent Glyph 1 on a PG gate when dailing to PG. For Example: The first 6 Glyphs for Altantis from PG gate might be (Not shore of the actrul address) 7, 11, 4, 25, 1, 31. From Earth the first 6Glyphs would be the same, except the MW versions of said Glyphs.
      - They represent another galaxy.
      Glyph 1 on a MW gate might represent the Ida galaxy, Glyph 2 might be Andromada and Glyph 3 might be PG. For Example: Your dailing Atlantis from Earth, you enter the first 6 Glyphs (As staited above) then enter the 7th, which in this case would be the 3th Glyph on the Gate, then your PoO.
      - They represent another 'Local-Group of Galaxies'.
      When dailing out side of your 'Local-Group', each Glyph represents on such group. In my mind the Ancients considered a 'Local-Group' to consist of 30 Galaxies. For Example: Dailing another planet in another galaxy, in another 'Local-Group' would go something like this; 6 Glyphs to find the Planet, 1 to find the Galaxy, then one to find the 'Local-Group' and finaly a PoO.

Firstly, there is only one "Local Group," which is the name of the Group of galaxies containing the Milky Way, Andromeda, and Triangulum galaxies, as well as various dwarf galaxies such as Pegasus. However, there are a great number of groups and clusters in the "Local Supercluster," also known as the Virgo Supercluster.

Each group can contain as many as about 50 galaxies; this fits in with your idea. What doesn't fit in with your idea is the existence of clusters, which can contain as many as a thousand galaxies. This means that a single cluster would require ~25 glyphs for the ninth chevron. Since the Stargate has less than forty, this means that you cannot even fit two clusters worth of galaxies into the Stargate's dialing system, let alone the dozens or even hundreds contained in the Local Supercluster.

Spoiler:

1. We travel to the furthest point our gate will take us. From there, we travel to the furthest point that this gate can take us. Keep repeating this untill we get there (Think of it as a layover on a flight).

2. We use a special Ancient Device that is at the Icarus Base, that is designed to dial the Destiny directly. How does it achive this? Well the same way as in option 1, except faster. It starts of buy dailing the furthest point that the gate can take us to and sends a massive amount of power to "supercharge" this gate. This gate then uses that power to dail its furthest point and so on and so on, untill it connects to the Destiny. When a traveler then steps through the gate on our end, they get passed from one gate to the next, untill they reach the Destiny (Just like the 'McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge').
      The problem with the first one is that people leaving Icarus would find themselves on the Destiny, with no layover in between. You ave to remember that only a handful of the people who wind up on the Destiny were actually expecting to go there. The rest thought that they were evacuating to Earth.

The problem with the second is that there is reason to believe, from what we have seen so far, that they have two-way communication while the wormhole is open. This is because they sent someone through first to check if the other side was safe. If he was sitting the 'Gate's buffer, then they would not be able to contact him, would have to assume that there was an Iris or something on the other side, and would shut down the 'Gate and dial Earth.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      well if the 9th chevron is a normal chevron, as stated above your post the destiny can never be within range.
      I never said that: I said that if the eighth and ninth chevrons work the way that the thread-starter thinks that they do, there is no chance that the Destiny is range.

I can however, think of at least one way that the ninth chevron could be a normal chevron and still have the Destiny in range.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      its several billion lightyears from home. in that radius, there are several million galaxies. how the hell can a 9 chevron combi achieve that many permutations?
      Let us consider the following possibility:

A. Seven-chevron addresses code for "planets."
      B. Eight-chevron addresses code for "galaxies."
      C. Nine-chevron addresses code for "superclusters."

The Milky Way galaxy has a volume of about 78.5 trillion cubic light-years; since there are 1,987,690,320 seven-chevron addresses, each one codes for a region with a volume of about 40,000 cubic light-years.

If we take a region with roughly the same volume as the Milky Way and call that region an eight chevron address, we find that the set of all 6,3606,090,240 eight-chevron address covers a volume of about five septillion cubic light-years; if this region were a sphere, it would have a radius of roughly 100 million light-years.

If we then took the above region and made it one nine-chevron address, then the set of all 1,971,788,797,440 nine-chevron addresses would have a volume of about 9.85*10^37 cubic light-years. Were this region spherical, it would have a radius of roughly 1.3 trillion light-years: more than enough range to reach the Destiny.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Ok, my theory:

It's magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
          Firstly, there is only one "Local Group," which is the name of the Group of galaxies containing the Milky Way, Andromeda, and Triangulum galaxies, as well as various dwarf galaxies such as Pegasus. However, there are a great number of groups and clusters in the "Local Supercluster," also known as the Virgo Supercluster.
          I was only using 'Local Group' as a generic lable because I didn't know what else to cool them, I figured that maby the Ancients had some sort of name for them (When reffering to them in relation to Stargates and dialing) and I didn't know if there was any offical terms for them (Here in the Real World).

Each group can contain as many as about 50 galaxies; this fits in with your idea. What doesn't fit in with your idea is the existence of clusters, which can contain as many as a thousand galaxies. This means that a single cluster would require ~25 glyphs for the ninth chevron. Since the Stargate has less than forty, this means that you cannot even fit two clusters worth of galaxies into the Stargate's dialing system, let alone the dozens or even hundreds contained in the Local Supercluster.
          I probably should have been clearer. I'm not suggesting that every group/cluster contain exactly 30 galaxies. I was mirly suggesting that the Ancients kinda broke them up into groups of 30. For Example:

Each circle/oval is a galaxy and each colour is one group/cluster according to the Ancients. This would allow supercluster that contain 10's or even 100's of Galaxies to be broken up into small groups, for the purpose of dialing them.

The problem with the first one is that people leaving Icarus would find themselves on the Destiny, with no layover in between. You ave to remember that only a handful of the people who wind up on the Destiny were actually expecting to go there. The rest thought that they were evacuating to Earth.
          I wasn't actruly suggesting this as the way that they get to the Destiny (from Ic-Base). I was just suggesting this as a way that someone could prehaps reach the Destiny, providing they have the resources to do it.

The problem with the second is that there is reason to believe, from what we have seen so far, that they have two-way communication while the wormhole is open. This is because they sent someone through first to check if the other side was safe. If he was sitting the 'Gate's buffer, then they would not be able to contact him, would have to assume that there was an Iris or something on the other side, and would shut down the 'Gate and dial Earth.
          And with that revelation, you have not only sunk this theory, but you've also then retrived its body, dug its grave, played 'Amazing Grace' on the bagpipes while you lowered it in to the grave, while the priest that you brought along says "Ashs to Ashs, Dust to Dust...".

So then maby there is a device at Ic-Base, or maby its just that the Stargate and DHD there are special, and this alows them to connect to almost every other stargate in the universe and figure out where the Destiny is, all with in nano seconds (and with out establishing any wormhole). Once its found the location, it can use this information to connect, directly, to the Destiny itself. Or something like that. This end of the my theory still needs work.
          The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
          Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

I agree with magic.

Comment

I probably should have been clearer. I'm not suggesting that every group/cluster contain exactly 30 galaxies. I was mirly suggesting that the Ancients kinda broke them up into groups of 30. For Example:

Each circle/oval is a galaxy and each colour is one group/cluster according to the Ancients. This would allow supercluster that contain 10's or even 100's of Galaxies to be broken up into small groups, for the purpose of dialing them.
              I was aware of that: the problem is that a cluster can have up to a thousand galaxies in it. Assuming that you break such a cluster into subdivisions of 40, it would still have about 25 such sub-divisions. Since each of those subdivisions "occupies" a symbol on the 'Gate, this means that a single cluster can reduce the number of available symbols for other galactic groups and clusters to ~15.

So then maby there is a device at Ic-Base, or maby its just that the Stargate and DHD there are special, and this alows them to connect to almost every other stargate in the universe and figure out where the Destiny is, all with in nano seconds (and with out establishing any wormhole). Once its found the location, it can use this information to connect, directly, to the Destiny itself. Or something like that.
              Or, potentially, the nine-chevron address that they have found is some sort of amplifier/relay that causes the wormhole to "jump" to the Destiny's 'Gate, similar to but more controlled than the jump caused by power surges (re: "Solitudes," "Touchstone," "A Matter of Time").
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Or, potentially, the nine-chevron address that they have found is some sort of amplifier/relay that causes the wormhole to "jump" to the Destiny's 'Gate, similar to but more controlled than the jump caused by power surges (re: "Solitudes," "Touchstone," "A Matter of Time").
                I agree with this theory, though having only one 9 chevron address that acts this way would be a waste of a chevron. I mean, for all we know, there could be various 9 symbol addresses that could have been planned to act as amplifiers, but the ancients never had a reason to use them. This is pure speculation here, but would it not make sense for the ancients to build a 9 chevron address into at least one gate in each small cluster of galaxies, thus allowing instant transport to a galaxy far outside a gates normal range, and you could then travel to the other sub-galaxies in that cluster.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tawny View Post
                  I agree with this theory, though having only one 9 chevron address that acts this way would be a waste of a chevron. I mean, for all we know, there could be various 9 symbol addresses that could have been planned to act as amplifiers, but the ancients never had a reason to use them. This is pure speculation here, but would it not make sense for the ancients to build a 9 chevron address into at least one gate in each small cluster of galaxies, thus allowing instant transport to a galaxy far outside a gates normal range, and you could then travel to the other sub-galaxies in that cluster.
                  I'm sorry, I think that I might not have been clear. I didn't mean that the ninth chevron itself was acting as a booster, I meant that whatever planet that they dial using the ninth chevron, rather then having a Stargate, has a booster that "forwards" the wormhole to the Destiny. The nine-chevron address is still a location a physical location, and a location independent of the Destiny's position.

I was, in effect, taking as premise JedI's supposition that each nine-chevron address is a planet outside the Local Group. I don't necessarily agree with that premise, nor do I agree with the premise that every eight-chevron address is a planet outside the Milky Way but still within the Local Group, but I was, nevertheless, taking them as given.

Comment

@Quad
                    I think I understand where you're coming from now. What I think you mean is the 9th chevron address forwards the wormhole through what is effectively a supercharger, able to boost the wormhole so it can connect to a gate over an extremely long distance(in this case the Destiny?).
                    I was speculating under the premise of each 9chev address acting as a sort of boosting algoritm that would allow the wormhole to go around the safeguards and rules set up by the system, and connect to a designated set of coordinates, providing you could feed the gate enough power, or that it would boost it through many existing gates, depending on the combination entered, so more along the lines of a cosmic combination lock.
                    sigpic

Comment

The more I think about this the less likely it seems, but if Im right then Ill be expected some amount of green off you!!!!!!
                      Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 01 August 2009, 06:57 AM.
                      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Or perhaps it's possible that the 8th and 9th chevrons can be used in conjunction to specify a target galaxy. IIRC there are 38 glyphs therefore 38^2=1444 possible target galaxies (adjust as appropriate.) Of course this is only a guess so don't sue me .

~Wes
                        Mitchell: Seaweed?
                        Daniel: Don't go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Wesley View Post
                          Or perhaps it's possible that the 8th and 9th chevrons can be used in conjunction to specify a target galaxy. IIRC there are 38 glyphs therefore 38^2=1444 possible target galaxies (adjust as appropriate.) Of course this is only a guess so don't sue me .
                          As I already pointed out, a "group" of galaxies can have as many as fifty galaxies, and individual clusters can have as many as a thousand galaxies. This means that, under your system, the Stargate can reach only one cluster and about eight groups; it could, alternatively, be used to reach about 30 groups, but no clusters.

The Local Supercluster, however, contains "at least 100 galaxy groups and clusters" and is only 110 million light-years across, a small fraction of the billions of light-years to the Destiny.

Comment

couldn't it stand that 7 Chevrons are for an internal Galaxy address.

The 8th is for a different galaxy and it was designed to be limited to the local group of the galaxy's.

The 9th chevron is to act as an extra code to allow the gate to dial a gate that is further out than the local group of Galaxy's or to only allow access to the Destiny

as we know the Ancients protected this Galaxy from the Ori but is it unrealistic and insane that they are protecting the Local group of Galaxy's rather than just one and that is the reason for the limited reach of our gates and that the 9the Chevron allows us to explore more of the universe.

we have not been told where the Destiny started to Seed gates from it could be the original world where the Ancients and the Ori 1st evolved witch is far outside our local group or it could have been from Earth or Atlantis.

i hope that this makes sence.
                            sigpic
                            Dr. Nicholas Rush: Ultimately, I control this ship.
                            Watching:How I Met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Warehouse 13, Alphas, Glee, Fringe, The Mentalist, Castle, Sanctuary | Re-watching: SG1, SGU

Comment

just saw stargate universe and it was amazing but i just dont get why and forgive me if someone already discussed this im new here just joined today why couldnt they use zpm's to dial the destiny? i had always thought zpm's was the ultimate power source?

Comment

Apart from not having that many ZPMs, they found the site 2 years ago, or right after SG1 ended. Back then they had 2 ZPMs, one for the antartic weapons platform, and one for the oddessy. But due to the distance, they probably couldn't get a lock with that amount of power, it would've probably drained a ZPM far too quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X