• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pianomancuber View Post
    I'm confused, where are you getting these numbers. I get
    36 nPr 7= 42,072,307,200
    36 nPr 8= 1,220,096,909,000
    36 nPr 9= 34, 162,713,450,000
    6 points for the destination. The 7th is your point of origin. The PoO isn't used within the destination.

Should look like this...
    (35×34×33×32×31×30) = 1,168,675,200 possible 7-symbol addresses
    How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Alright, first of all:
      The Symbol for the PoO (Point of Origin) of earth of the alpha gate (pyramid with circle on top) isn't the earth's original symbol for its PoO.
      That's because RA took that Stargate from somewhere else and put it on earth.
      That means the PoO symbol (pyramid with circle on top) was meant to represent another system/planet.
      But since a Stargate inherits the coordinates from the system/planet it's in/on, it doesn't matter what the PoO symbol looks like, it will always act as the "Home" button for the system/planet it's used in/on.
      The actual depiction for earth is on the beta gate (which is actually the original earth Stargate) and looks like a circle with a thick vertical line below it. (see http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Point_of_origin)
      So far so good...

Spoilers for Air 1-3
      [Spoilers ]

In the pilot of Stargate Universe, Eli said to try the PoO of earth to get through to the Stargate of the Destiny. They then went on and entered the symbol of the pyramid with the circle on top, because that's the one they've become used to call the "earth's" PoO.
      Since they only used the pyramid symbol as the 7th symbol when dialling from earth, it didn't really matter how it looked. But when they used it in Stargate Universe they weren't on earth. That's ok though, because they said that in this special case it's more like a code.[/Spoilers]

Now follow me here...
      They had in their mindset to use the "earth's" symbol as the PoO in the address/code, so they punched the pyramid symbol... and it worked.
      But: since the pyramid isn't really the depiction of earth, but another planet/system (where the alpha gate originally came from) they didn't actually use the earth's symbol in this case.
      For all other Stargates not on earth, the pyramid symbol refers to another planet/system than earth/sol!

So my point now is:
      If RA wouldn't have put the Stargate of another planet (with the PoO symbol of a pyramid with a circle on top of it) on earth, then the idea of Eli to use earth's PoO symbol would've been futile, since they would've used the earth's ACTUAL PoO symbol (which is the one with the circle and the thick line below it).
      But because the only correct PoO symbol for dialling the Stargate of the Destiny is the pyramid with the circle (as we have come to know), they would never have found it in time and probably all died.
      that's it.

I just find it funny to think that all the people who got on the Destiny, survived because of RA stealing a Stargate from another planet.^^
      Then again, you could argue that if RA wouldn't have brought another Stargate to earth, the secret 9th PoO symbol for SG Universe then would've been earth's actual PoO symbol, of course...

I hope this wasn't too confusing, the concept is quite easy to understand if you think about it.
      But the explanation with mere words is a bit... arduous.

Trying to sum it up:
      Alpha Gate's PoO symbol -> originally not earth -> other Stargates don't "know" this
      -> if earth never had alpha gate, only beta gate -> Eli's guess to use earth's PoO would've lead to -> death
      => Ergo: Thanks Ra, you might have been as enslaving a***ole, but we couldn't have done it without you.

Comment

What you say makes sense but I think you are reading into it too much. I think you can just chalk this up to one of those continuity errors made in long running SciFi shows.

Comment

That was exactly my point, it has to be a continuity error, just didn't have that expression in my mind at the time.
          But, after watching it again, I noticed something else:

Spoiler:
          In the scene of the pilot where they look at the travel log of the ship Eli asks if that's where they are now. The conversation then continues:

Dr. Nicholas Rush: No, that's where the ship originally embarked from.
          Adam Brody: Earth

Granted, it could be that Adam was simply wrong by assuming it was earth and that instead it was the planet which originally had the earth's alpha gate (and thus the pyramid with the circle as its PoO symbol).
          But if the ship did indeed embark from earth, then this is an error (assuming the reason for the pyramid PoO symbol being the last symbol in the address marks the starting point of the Destiny).
          It would be an error because the pyramid symbol they used for the 9th chevron is actually not the depiction of earth, but of another planet/system the alpha gate originally came from.
          So either, TPTB should've used earth's real PoO symbol (that of the "beta" gate) or Adam Brody is supposed to be wrong and nobody of the geniuses around him notices it or cares to correct him.^^

P.S.: If you wonder who Adam Brody is, it's the guy standing behind the holo image. If you look closely at his lips, you can see it's him saying "earth".

Comment

I thought after season 6 they used the 'real' gate (the one the ancients left in antarctica), because Anubis blew the previous one up (the one Ra left behind)? So when they dialed Earths PoO, they actually did use Earths 'real' symbol. Note that I can't remember them actually dialing the pyramid symbol, so I could be wrong.
            Mia: Don't you hate that?
            Vincent: Hate what?
            Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
            Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
            Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
            - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Well they have said that the pyramid symbol means at and with the other symbols is the word atlantis, so I think it is the original point of origin for earth. Ra could of designed the pyramids after the symbol.
              sigpic

Comment

So you are saying that Ra saved them just so they could blow him up

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
                  I thought after season 6 they used the 'real' gate (the one the ancients left in antarctica), because Anubis blew the previous one up (the one Ra left behind)? So when they dialed Earths PoO, they actually did use Earths 'real' symbol. Note that I can't remember them actually dialing the pyramid symbol, so I could be wrong.
                  No, the gate anubis blew up was the original antarctica one (beta gate). The egyptian one (alpha gate) was beamed onto thor's ship when it was invested with replicators, then crashed into the ocean. That gate was then recovered by the russians. The SGC used the beta gate after that until anubis blew it up (another continuity error during that period was the constant showing of the alpha PoO on the gate ). When the beta gate blew up they got the alpha back from the russians.

Comment

Why would the Icarus gate even have the Earth's point of origin on it? You can't have the point of origin for every planet on every gate. Each gate only has 39 symbols!

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
                      Why would the Icarus gate even have the Earth's point of origin on it? You can't have the point of origin for every planet on every gate. Each gate only has 39 symbols!

That was my only gripe with the premier. It seemed to retcon the idea of the PoO symbol. Notice that Orion was apparently the PoO for Icarus. Seems like now, every stargate has exactly the same symbols - no unique ones whatsoever. Which means that there are only 39 possible points of origin, so clearly thousands of stargates have to share them with each other.

But I got over that enjoyed the rest of it lol. Still thought it was a stupid way to get it to work.
                      Last edited by Dobberman; 04 October 2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobberman View Post
                        That was my only gripe with the premier. It seemed to retcon the idea of the PoO symbol. Notice that Orion was apparently the PoO for Icarus. Seems like now, every stargate has exactly the same symbols - no unique ones whatsoever. Which means that there are only 39 possible points of origin, so clearly thousands of stargates have to share them with each other.
                        Haven't they always done that? Given diffrent planets random glyphs as there PoO? I always figured that it was just because they couldn't be assed coming up with any new ones and that it wasn't ment to be taken as perfect canon.

Also, was it ever stated as canon that the Alpha gate was brought here by Ra? I thought it was just a theory that the SGC had.
                        Maby the Ancients built the Beta Gate on earth when they originaly set up the gate network, and then built the Alpha gate when they built the Destiney. (Just a Theory)
                        Last edited by JedI Master of the Gate; 04 October 2009, 03:24 PM.
                        The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                        Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

no one saved anyones lives, Dr Rush put everyone on the destiny cause he stopped the dialing process going to earth, they would have been home if Rush didn't push the technician out of the way, so they would NOT have died, pay attention people.

Comment

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate View Post
                            Haven't they always done that? Given diffrent planets random glyphs as there PoO? I always figured that it was just because they couldn't be assed coming up with any new ones and that it wasn't ment to be taken as perfect canon.
                            Yes I believe they have done that in the past (and yes I agree it wasnt meant to be taken seriously) although sometimes they did splash out for a new symbol. But coupled with the fact that the Icarus gate had Earth's point of origin on it implies that earth's point of origin is on every gate (and yes its been shown on other gates before but again this was always a continuity error and it was never important to the plot).

The fact that they showed Icarus's PoO explicitly means they wanted you to see it and notice that it was just an oridinary gate symbol and realise that the PoO symbol is no longer special.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobberman View Post
                              Yes I believe they have done that in the past (and yes I agree it wasnt meant to be taken seriously) although sometimes they did splash out for a new symbol. But coupled with the fact that the Icarus gate had Earth's point of origin on it implies that earth's point of origin is on every gate (and yes its been shown on other gates before but again this was always a continuity error and it was never important to the plot).
                              To be honest I havent scene the Air yet and, due to the fact that I'm an Australian who can't aford pay-TV, probably won't see it untill its on DVD (I have read the transcript for Air pt.1)

But does it actruly show the gate with the Earth PoO on it? I was under the impression that it was shown on a computer screen.
                              In which case, couldn't that simply mean that Rush tricked the gate/gatenetwork into thinking that Ic-Bases PoO was Earths?
                              The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                              Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

I thought the point of origin symbol was dependant on the planet and its relative position, not the gate that was on the planet.

I think it's a bit simpler than what everybody is making out. I think every galaxy has a 'hub', if you will (Earth in Milky Way, Atlantis in Pegasus) and, when dialing a 9-symbol address, you use the hub's point of origin instead of the the planet's, so the hub's point of origin because the point of origin for a whole galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                                X