Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the main thing ("main??" yea, i know ) that doesn't make sense to me. But it's franchise-wide, so I forgive it.

Take an old rotary phone (USA anywa). It has 10 digits. But your phone number only needs 7. OK, area code makes it 10, yada yada. But the point is ... ok, so you want to dial France. On your rotary phone. You need at least 11.

So... the number of chevrons on the gate needs *nothing* to do with the address you're dialing. I mean, IPv6??

So, I get the extra "digit" needed for a completely different galaxy (except, doesn't the number of "characters" available then limit the number of galaxies they can go to?) - but, this 9th chevron business just didn't make any sense.

But. It's just a show and I should really just relax

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      What i think is that they would have send someone through with a ZPM or other device to dial back home..
      Unfortuantly they cannot dial the stargate until they discover a planet with a radioactive core like Icarus. I am guessing they are extremely rare and probably in the early stages of there planet life cycle, mean such planet probably does not have stargates on. Meaning they have to search by ship for one. They probably found icarus in the Atlantis database an was lucky it core was still suitable for the tripe to the destiny ship.

Comment

I got the impression from the dialog between the kid and Rush that it was a code, not an address. So there might be other codes, for special locations. Meaning, the code they used will open to Destiny no matter where you are, or where the ship is.

Comment

Perhaps there is. If it is a code, there is a possibility that the Ancients coded some of their other stargates. I could be that the Ancients could code a stargate when there is a need to do so

Comment

Perhaps there is. If it is a code, there is a possibility that the Ancients coded some of their other stargates. I could be that the Ancients could code a stargate when there is a need to do so

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                It's called a reserved field. The 6+1 system was most likely already in use, for example in navigation or communications. The 8th chevron was added to expand the field of operation, and the 9th was added just in case something else comes up. It'd be a lot easier to reprogram the gates than to seed modified versions from scratch.

The gate on Destiny obviously has high priority. The 9-chevron code might be less of a combination lock deal and more of a guarantee that Destiny passing through a seeded galaxy does not interfere with local operation of the network.
                Yup. Many people made things with extras for later add ins. Heck just check the computer field. Many mobords were made with agp plus in areas long before agp cards came out (2.3 yrs iirc).

Kind of like a fail safe against the Ori following them. Since the Destiny was launched so soon after they left the ori galaxy from what it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by DaxFlowLyfe View Post
                  Taking what Rush said in the Pilot and what Carter had previously said before.

7 Chevrons for gate address
                  8th Chevron for area code
                  9th Chevron for extra distance calculation (what Rush said)
                  8th chevron is not an "area code". Carter was speaking "O'Neall" when she said that. It has to be much more complex to allow access to sufficient number of objects.

And Rush didn't say anything specific about the function of the 9th chevron. The only thing that got stated in the episode is that it must be there for something. Which would have been a faulty premise if they didn't have that 8-chevron address.
                  MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I think Eli's equation has something to do with updating the DHD. All of the gates in the universe are moving away or towards from each other (red shift/blue shift thing), but at a relatively slow speed given the size of the universe (the speed of light). DHDs are pre-programed to update every so often, but from the perspective of a human using the gate system the stargates are more or less static. However,Destiny is going faster than the speed of light, making it a moving target, so probably what Eli was doing was to find a way of hitting it, given a vague idea of its flight plan. I wonder if DHDs were equipped to handle actually dialing it or did the Ancients need some kind of dialing computer? Also, if there are any other 9 Chevron addresses they would probably need to know a little about their proposed flight plans, since, I would assume, that Eli's formula only works for Destiny. The fact that it is extremely difficult to access this ship and activate this chevron, in my mind, supports the fact that the Ancients considered these things to be in need of some security. After all, the gates were intended to be used by anybody, not just the Ancients, but I doubut they would have wanted to make it easy for a Wraith, Ori, or Goa'uld to gain access to one of their ships.

Also, I have a question about the point of origin. Aren't they the unique symbols each gate? I thought that the pyramid with the circle on top of it was only on the SGC's gate (the one found in Egypt). If so how could they have dialed that chevron on the Icarus Gate? Also, from the Ancients perspective that wasn't Earth's POI, the symbol on the Beta Gate (the Antarctic one that Anubis blew up) was?

Comment

7 chevrons is for a standard in-galaxy location
                      the 8th is for connecting to another galaxy (to an extragalactic gate network)
                      the 9th is for connecting to a specific gate, in which case the other 8 are not locations, but rather a unique address that remains the same regardless of location (like a cell phone address).

My question is, given that Destiny has a 9 symbol address, why doesn't Atlantis? It is obviously much more important, given the vast amount of knowledge it contains.

And, if the seeder ships predated the Destiny, and created stargates in every galaxy they went to, why are the Pagasus gates different than the destiny's gate? Also, in Rising, the hologram stated that the Ancients built a new gate system after they left Earth, not before (if you listen closely during the scene, you can hear her mention the gates). is this a retcon?
                      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                        My question is, given that Destiny has a 9 symbol address, why doesn't Atlantis? It is obviously much more important, given the vast amount of knowledge it contains.
                        Probably because Atlantis wasn't moving anywhere relative to how fast the Destiny was traveling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                          7 chevrons is for a standard in-galaxy location
                          the 8th is for connecting to another galaxy (to an extragalactic gate network)
                          the 9th is for connecting to a specific gate, in which case the other 8 are not locations, but rather a unique address that remains the same regardless of location (like a cell phone address).

And, if the seeder ships predated the Destiny, and created stargates in every galaxy they went to, why are the Pagasus gates different than the destiny's gate? Also, in Rising, the hologram stated that the Ancients built a new gate system after they left Earth, not before (if you listen closely during the scene, you can hear her mention the gates). is this a retcon?
                          Maybe the seeders only drop a couple here and there and the Lantians brought the rest, or maybe the Lantians decided to update them for whatever reason when they terraformed. Or maybe Pegasus was already being colonized when the Destiny launched (least likely imo).

Comment

ok so if 7 is for a inner Galaxy Planetary Address, then the Auto Dialer that Sam Created alot of numbers must of been correct but couldn't create connection because of power requirement? and yes I forgot about the Ida Galaxy.

- Christine

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                              I think Eli's equation has something to do with updating the DHD. All of the gates in the universe are moving away or towards from each other (red shift/blue shift thing), but at a relatively slow speed given the size of the universe (the speed of light). DHDs are pre-programed to update every so often, but from the perspective of a human using the gate system the stargates are more or less static. However,Destiny is going faster than the speed of light, making it a moving target, so probably what Eli was doing was to find a way of hitting it, given a vague idea of its flight plan. I wonder if DHDs were equipped to handle actually dialing it or did the Ancients need some kind of dialing computer? Also, if there are any other 9 Chevron addresses they would probably need to know a little about their proposed flight plans, since, I would assume, that Eli's formula only works for Destiny. The fact that it is extremely difficult to access this ship and activate this chevron, in my mind, supports the fact that the Ancients considered these things to be in need of some security. After all, the gates were intended to be used by anybody, not just the Ancients, but I doubut they would have wanted to make it easy for a Wraith, Ori, or Goa'uld to gain access to one of their ships.
                              No Eli equations were about how to get the right amount of energy from the planet core into the stargate and in such a way that the stargate would form a worm hole to the destiny, one could persume that this was test put in place by the ancients to see if a race was ready to go to the destiny or perhaps it was just a level of security and they thought no one would be able to crack apart from them, they are arrogant enough to believe that. Perhaps it just something that needed to be done.

It was not about the distance calculations as that has nothing to do with the destiny address. As the Destiny stargate have been given a specific address anyway which would work no matter where it is in the universe.
                              Put this way it was given a zip code/postcode instead of map coordinates which in this case would keep on changing.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 04 October 2009, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
                                The question is. How did Ameris (I think that is his name) know to create a ninth chevron.
                                Based upon how the 8th and 9th chevrons are accessed, I'd say that it was a natural extension to the math used to calculate coordinates within our spacial dimensions.
                                Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                                : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Working...
                                X