This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, 1.5...that's....average.

Isn't inflation where a larger quantity of something diminishes its value over time? So wouldn't Atlantis's numbers be worth more that SGU's if inflation is taken into account? Say Atlantis got 1.5 back then, and SGU got 1.5. There were less viewers with the Sci-fi channel back then, so those numbers would be worth more. Now more people have the Sci-fi channel (more potential viewers), but they only got 1.5. So doesn't inflation benefit Atlantis's numbers? Plus more potential viewers during fall and spring, right?

Anyways didn't want to bring this up again but, when did they start working on the scripts for the first few episodes of season 2? Was it before or after that guy, uh Carl Binder?, said they were going to make some changes? Or is not much going to change?

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      You want my honest opinion? These numbers are a disgrace, because SGA was cancelled on higher numbers. There I said it. Don't want to see SGU fail, but if this continues into next season, I think Season 3 will be a longshot. Just sayin.
      No I already know your opinion on SGA. I'm not daring to say they are good numbers just that its not as simple to say here are SGU's numbers and her are SGA's numbers. Like Sky said statstics are never that simple. I'm niot going to speculate on S3. More data is needed
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        No I already know your opinion on SGA. I'm not daring to say they are good numbers just that its not as simple to say here are SGU's numbers and her are SGA's numbers. Like Sky said statstics are never that simple. I'm niot going to speculate on S3. More data is needed
        The question or questions of the year are, did the producers and MGM make the right decision to move onto SGU? Should they have waited? Run SGA with SGU for one season? Should they have released the movies first?
        sigpic

Comment

The question or questions of the year are, did the producers and MGM make the right decision to move onto SGU? Should they have waited? Run SGA with SGU for one season? Should they have released the movies first?
          Unless we have all the numbers that MGM has (we don't) then its rather difficult to answer that question
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

that's nothing but opinions, because we can't go back in time and explore the other options thus there can never be proof either way
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
              Well Surprise Surprise.. once again EllieVee wins the predictions. Have you won the lottery yet? Dont forget about the Vegas party right???
              I haven't forgotten. I'm planning to roll in my wedding at the Elvis chapel while we're there.

For a season finale, it's pretty low.
              Yes, it is.

Originally posted by major davis View Post
              Ya but it hasn't recovered yet from Pain.....
              Boom boom.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              The newest Star Trek movie, made by JJ Abrams and his team, that premiered in 2009.
              Oh. That. She said dismissively.

I think it would have been nice to run with SGA one more season, if only so we wouldn't have had it as the final season. Aside from Vegas, I can't think of an episode that stood out for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                The newest Star Trek movie, made by JJ Abrams and his team, that premiered in 2009.
                So someone is talking about the difficulty of wholesale changes to a writing room for a TV show, and someone brings up a movie? WTF?
                The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Someone should get the ratings from around the world

Comment

Those are unanswerable questions. We all face decisions in our lives where we have no clue what different choices would have brought us.

Only the people involved in the decisions you speak of knew what their real choices were. It's for them to ask these questions...if indeed these were choices. I think if it were up to the producers, they would produce as much as they can. More money for them, right?

As for MGM...their troubles are well documented.

I honestly think fans should take the attitude that they are lucky to get another full season of the show. I would hope that the writers see the writing on the wall and bring this show to a satisfying conclusion.

I'm a fan of another show that miraculously got another 13 episodes and I'm hoping the writers of that show do the same. In the end, I don't care how many seasons a show gets as long as the story reaches a satisfying conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                      Isn't inflation where a larger quantity of something diminishes its value over time?
                      That's only in economics. He was saying that the numbers should be inflated because with the advent of DVRs and viewing on the internet, TV viewing numbers have decreased across the board. Everybody's numbers are going down because there are a significant number of alternative methods to watch a TV show that don't count in the Nielsen ratings because they (as far as our discussions here are concerned) are the only numbers that count.
                      The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Think the movies would have paid off big, while it was fresh in all the fan's minds, the characters, the stories, etc. I mean they looked like the budget of two episodes, right? Of course extra with the casting and promoting among other things. But it would have paid off easily and gained money. Didn't the other two movies do really well?

Comment

other factors make comparing the shows apples to oranges

different air times
                          different times of year (summer vs fall, no new tv vs new seasons, friday night football vs no friday night sports, being inside during bad weather vs being outside)
                          different subscription numbers

etc
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm not going to Chicken Little over the numbers. No, they aren't good for a finale - but equally we can't pretend they are the most horrible thing ever! (and no, I am not just talking about other Stargate series).

The teller is really going to be how well it rates in its new timeslot. In a lot of ways these ratings are gonna be moot because of that move, it wont be coming back to Friday nights... It may uptick, it may not, but in the end it all depends on what Skiffy's bottom line is (and don't think they don't have one, every network has a bottom line) for the show as to whether or not it gets a 3rd season.

Personally, I'm not even going to attempt to speculate until next season. I don't think we have anywhere near enough information to do so.
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Michael Jones writes: “ 1.) Is the SGC still in operation on Earth, or has the Stargate been moved to Homeworld Command in the Pentagon? [...]”

Answers: [...] 4) It’s the first airing that garners all the attention.

Randomness writes: “but question on my mind is, where did 300,000 people go when it came to Episode 19? Did they fall asleep before it aired? DVR figures for that episode would be interesting.”

Answer: True. As for the reason for the dip – no idea, but the fact that we didn’t air the previous week could have had something to do with it. The casual viewer may have simply assumed our season was done.
                              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ellen-kushner/
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                And who decides what is creative writing and what isn't? You? Don't make me laugh
                                I wasn't trying to, however the ratings and the reception of the show speak for themselves; the ratings are nothing to write home about and the reception, while not horrible, has been little more than lukewarm. Let's be honest about that much at least.

Hey, I relatively enjoy this show and there is much about it that I like. However, it's got it's issues and one of them (in my mind) is the fact that it's utilising the same creative for this new and slightly different concept as it used for the last one with mixed results. I'm not saying the writing crew is bad, but they may not be properly suited for this show.

And in reference to another comment about the writers not being the only determining factor for a lackluster first season, I agree. But the writers do dictate the development of characters, the fluidity and pacing of a storyline, and...well...the script.

This conversation may be better suited to another thread. Do we still have a thread devoted to the writers or did that get shut down? Sky?

Keeping BW/RCC and a few others is pretty much what they did. Their aren't that many overall
                                BW, RCC, JM, PM, Carl Binder, Martin Gero, Alan McCullough...+ 3 freelancers. That's pretty damn close.

But now we're getting off-topic.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X