X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    But we have only seen flaws.
    They have been put to good use. For an example Young has a temper, and well it's gonna get him in trouble.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      But we have only seen flaws.
      Nonsense. We have also seen their strengths. Young and Scott's determination to not leave a person behind. TJ's caring about upholding medical ethics and protocol. Chloe's belief that basic law still needs to be unheld on the Destiny. The list goes on
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Nonsense. We have also seen their strengths. Young and Scott's determination to not leave a person behind. TJ's caring about upholding medical ethics and protocol. Chloe's belief that basic law still needs to be unheld on the Destiny. The list goes on
        But I don't feel convinced of that...well maybe Chloe's thing.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Justice spoilers
          Spoiler:
          He left Rush behind, and because of his strength to be the hero and save Scott in Water, it will be very questionable when Rush returns. I cannot wait for that moment.

As per Scott his only strenghts are likely the ones in bed, lol. He needs to be given something else to do. It was more Young's way to not leave people behind.

I actually believe Scott to be the weakest character. At least Chloe showed some strength in Justice.
          Last edited by Skydiver; 02 January 2010, 07:54 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
            Spoiler:
            He left Rush behind, and because of his strength to be the hero and save Scott in Water, it will be very questionable when Rush returns. I cannot wait for that moment.

As per Scott his only strenghts are likely the ones in bed, lol. He needs to be given something else to do. It was more Young's way to not leave people behind.

I actually believe Scott to be the weakest character. At least Chloe showed some strength in Justice.
            What about him
            Spoiler:
            wandering across that dessert with the lime sand or telling Young to leave him behind in Water or killing himself twice?
            Last edited by Skydiver; 02 January 2010, 07:55 AM.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee
              You mean, like the hideous morass of viscous goop that was S5 Atlantis?
              If by that you mean Season 1-4 were much much better, then yes. S5 of SGA was a horrible mess, but there were still great episodes like Daedalus Variations that had a mix of dramatic stuff (finding their alternate versions and Teyla worried about Torren) as well as action (the DV Aliens). If you want to compare shows, why not compare the first season of Lost with SGU? It's basically the same concept of people lost and unable to control ANY aspect of what's going on around them. In fact, forget Atlantis exists because you dont' like it, compare SGU with a sucessful show that is much more similar than SGA was.

I would say SGU ATM has no real direction other than intercharacter drama, there's no real underlying issue they're all focusing on. Yes they're trying to get home, yes they're trying to survive, but it honestly feels like they don't care. They're more concerned with their petty problems than they are tryign to figure everything out (except for Rush) and when they DO find something that can help, (like the chair) they argue more.

Lost had the underlying issue of all the crazy stuff happening (the mist, the numbers, and the characters "drama" actually affected plot stuff, like the numbers, Charlies heroin addiction, Locke's "walkabout" Kate's criminal past...)

So to me (and many others) SGU is a sticky mess in more ways than one at the half season mark, let's see if they decide to add some ice cream or whether i want my money back.
              Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
              Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                If by that you mean Season 1-4 were much much better, then yes.
                SGA was filled with moral decisions. The entire show was based on something they did and payed the price for it. Waking the Wraith for an example.

I always loved the episode "Miller's Crossing" where a dark Sheppard convinces someone to give up their life to save another life, which was Mckay's sister.
                sigpic

Comment

SGA was filled with moral decisions. The entire show was based on something they did and payed the price for it. Waking the Wraith for an example.

I always loved the episode "Miller's Crossing" where a dark Sheppard convinces someone to give up their life to save another life, which was Mckay's sister.
                  Totally agree with you, Miller's Crossing is one of my favorite episodes JUST for that. One of teh defining moments for Sheppard's character if you ask me. i would have loved to see some fallout from this from Sheppard, McKay's and even some of the other's viewpoints, but in the end it would have been frosting on the cake.
                  Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

Ahh moral questions. Folks would say SGA had no moral issues. The entire series was one moral issue upon another. I loved it, and it's why I really like SGU. Like Young leaving Rush behind. Talk about moral decisions there. Love it!!
                    Yes, it did have moral issues but they were always swept under the carpet in the hope that viewers would see the Atlantis expedition as wonderful heroes.

The Pegasus humans paid the price for that but the expedition's part in it all was slid round in 'Inquisition'.

And how did this affect Sheppard on a long term basis? We don't know because it was never mentioned again.
                    sigpic

Comment

But in a way that is good, because the characters have been introduced very well, along with their flaws and personalities. Some have even had their backgrounds shown, not every character, but that should come later.

If the 2nd half is filled with more drama and Soap Opera-ish moments like in Earth and Life, and there is no action or adventure, then I think the show will be in real trouble. Bold Statement, but I strongly believe it.
                      I completely agree, hopefully those they atracted in the first half will stay if it turns to more action in the second half...if the action level improves I will give it another try.

Comment

i was pissed that atlantis was canceled but when i watched universe i was happy that some old characters were back thta made me a little less pissed

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                          Yes, it did have moral issues but they were always swept under the carpet in the hope that viewers would see the Atlantis expedition as wonderful heroes.

The Pegasus humans paid the price for that but the expedition's part in it all was slid round in 'Inquisition'.

And how did this affect Sheppard on a long term basis? We don't know because it was never mentioned again.
                          Sheppard did not seem like a hero at all in Season 4 or a lot of SGA. SGA was interesting. The decisions they made to try and make things better resulted in total disaster. Sheppard in Season 4, lost Weir twice, he lost Teyla, and made some really dark moral decisions. Mckay activated the attack code, resulting in Weir being captured, and the replicators attacking human worlds as a battle tactic. Sheppard even made the choice to stop the nanites and kill Weir in Adrift. There were a lot of repercussions in Season 4, and I still compare it to SGU, because it feels like that. I think folks should rewatch some Season 4 eps, and then rewatch some SGU eps. The majority of SGU except for maybe Earth and Life are influenced by earlier Stargate, especially Season 4 of SGA. These same writers wrote for Season 4 of SGA.

SGU has it's humor also. Look at Justice how the show starts off with a funny scene about the sweet potato and then ends on a very dark moment. That is the Stargate that I am used to. I just hope "Life" did not turn people off, and they did not watch Justice, because Justice was a solid episode, not the best mid-season finale we've seen from the franchise but good enough to keep my interest for the 2nd half.

BTW, Inquisition was a very big dissapointment for me. We got a little more on Sheppard in "Remnants" but sadly the show ended before we got more.
                          sigpic

Comment

Sheppard did not seem like a hero at all in Season 4 or a lot of SGA. SGA was interesting. The decisions they made to try and make things better resulted in total disaster. Sheppard in Season 4, lost Weir twice, he lost Teyla, and made some really dark moral decisions. Mckay activated the attack code, resulting in Weir being captured, and the replicators attacking human worlds as a battle tactic. Sheppard even made the choice to stop the nanites and kill Weir in Adrift.
                            We never knew how it affected him, though. Rodney's outburst in This Mortal Coil was about the only indication we had of how these events affected the characters. It would have been nice if we'd been given more insight.

SGU gives me the impression that the writers had been longing to do some in depth characterisation for ages so are making the most of it now. I just wish they'd gone on to do it in a Seaon 6 of SGA instead.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                              We never knew how it affected him, though. Rodney's outburst in This Mortal Coil was about the only indication we had of how these events affected the characters. It would have been nice if we'd been given more insight.

SGU gives me the impression that the writers had been longing to do some in depth characterisation for ages so are making the most of it now. I just wish they'd gone on to do it in a Seaon 6 of SGA instead.
                              So... they ditch a salvagable show in order to commence their pet project? That's really the only bitterness i have about SGA's cancellation, if they'd given it HALF as much effort as they're putting into SGU... and all the effort they're putting into SGU is making a show i think takes itself too seriously, and has this forced feel to it, you can't like the show because it's a fun show that's entertaining, you HAVE to become emotionally involved with teh characters whether you like it or not.

Like... why? Why would they take such an extreme decision as to do a full 180 on the show? Was the old dynamic so detestable to them that it just HAD to be forgotten and allowed to die a cold lonely death?

There there SGA... we love you...

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                                There there SGA... we love you...
                                Speak for yourself, I was not aparticularly fond of SGA
                                *activates forcefield*
                                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                                Sig by The Carpenter
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X