This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ATA gene - An interesting conflict idea

I just had a really cool idea I'd like to see in the first season of SGU - no one on the crew has the ATA gene. It would be fantastic because it could mean the ship is fully functional, but they can't even turn on life support - adding to the chaos of arrival. They could then be forced to manually reverse engineer controls for all the tech on the ship.... which they would never be able to completely accomplish.

For example they might be able to hotwire the ship to turn it's air scrubbing back on, but literally struggle to turn on any of the lights (has anyone noticed how dark the ship seems to be)...

But I digress... the ship is millions of years old, potentially the oldest ever piece of Ancient tech if it predates the Alterran/Ori separation.... so maybe the writers don't have to go this way and can just put anything not working down to the ship being so old.

Anyway, I just thought it was a cool idea I'd share

i didnt think anyone had the ATA gene anyway on the destiny. maybe the tech will be so old that it wont require an ATA gene.

oh and the ship was built AFTER the ori/alteran split, not before..its been mentioned several times

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      i didnt think anyone had the ATA gene anyway on the destiny. maybe the tech will be so old that it wont require an ATA gene.

oh and the ship was built AFTER the ori/alteran split, not before..its been mentioned several times
      Really? Oh... that sucks

I pictured the Destiny as being the first thing the Ancients did - they built this ship to seed their own galaxy with gates and after that being so successful they told it to keep going outwards - and so the Destiny follows the other ship around the universe...

I really just wanted an excuse for the writers to
      1. have no possible references to the O'ri
      2. ignore all the flashy ancient tech from Atlantis and return to the old school glyphs and rocks

Comment

Originally posted by thenimf View Post

I really just wanted an excuse for the writers to
        1. have no possible references to the O'ri
        2. ignore all the flashy ancient tech from Atlantis and return to the old school glyphs and rocks
        You might not want them to refer to the Ori, (no apostrophe in Ori, by the way), but there are just as many who would find it puzzling if it never came up.It's sort of important since some of these people would have been involved with the Ori war effort in some way.
        "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
        "Those who abandon the path are evil."
        "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Assuming the Destiny and the seeder ships were launched after the Ancients got to the Milky Way (an assumption that could be false, by the way), it would've been thousands of years after they left the Ori galaxy, so chances are no Ancients at that time had anything to do with the Ori. One way or another though, there is visible Ori-style architecture in the Destiny sets.

Speaking of which, the sets don't look very flashy to me; it is supposed to be millions of years older than Atlantis, so I don't think you have to worry about having flashy Atlantis tech.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Assuming the Destiny and the seeder ships were launched after the Ancients got to the Milky Way (an assumption that could be false, by the way), it would've been thousands of years after they left the Ori galaxy, so chances are no Ancients at that time had anything to do with the Ori. One way or another though, there is visible Ori-style architecture in the Destiny sets.

Speaking of which, the sets don't look very flashy to me; it is supposed to be millions of years older than Atlantis, so I don't think you have to worry about having flashy Atlantis tech.
            In Ark of Truth we actually see a notebook with the first conceptual drawings of the Stargate. These match the Milky Way gates. It'd be nice for a time line to be established during the show. I'd like to see what the planetary/orbital gates look like (probably no glowing ball).

What do you mean millions of years OLDER than Atlantis? Where's this bit of info?

SGU description from Wikipedia - Stargate Universe will be set on the Ancient ship Destiny, which was part of an Ancient experiment to seed the galaxies with Stargates millions of years ago.

The opening sequence for SGA Rising states that the Ancients left Earth aboard the Atlantis city ship "several millions years ago".

Also I wouldn't really call it Ori-style. Could be Alteran-style. That is unless Alteran is another name they came up with to distance themselves from those who would become the Ori. It's late and I can only remember Merlin's book said the called THEMSELVES "Altera". Anyway, we never saw the inside of the Exodus ship from Ark of Truth.

Could be a time line thing, technology, form and function or something else.
            How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
              In Ark of Truth we actually see a notebook with the first conceptual drawings of the Stargate. These match the Milky Way gates. It'd be nice for a time line to be established during the show. I'd like to see what the planetary/orbital gates look like (probably no glowing ball).

What do you mean millions of years OLDER than Atlantis? Where's this bit of info?

SGU description from Wikipedia - Stargate Universe will be set on the Ancient ship Destiny, which was part of an Ancient experiment to seed the galaxies with Stargates millions of years ago.

The opening sequence for SGA Rising states that the Ancients left Earth aboard the Atlantis city ship "several millions years ago".

Also I wouldn't really call it Ori-style. Could be Alteran-style. That is unless Alteran is another name they came up with to distance themselves from those who would become the Ori. It's late and I can only remember Merlin's book said the called THEMSELVES "Altera". Anyway, we never saw the inside of the Exodus ship from Ark of Truth.

Could be a time line thing, technology, form and function or something else.

See - this is why I'm confused. I would strongly argue that the design of the Ark of Truth and Exodus ship are more modern than what we've seen of the Destiny. If you look at the set photos of the Destiny on Wikia, it looks like a Firefly class ship instead of a cutting edge Ancient experiment. I'm probably just pulling this out of my arse now... but the Destiny is clearly aerodynamic while most Ancient ships have been anything but - indicating a period of design where that was a strong factor in how well the ships flew.

I'm not 100% sure how accurate Wikia is, but it mentions that the Ancients built the Destiny and forgot about it because they changed focus to ascension. If that's the case, then it would be pre-Ori because Orlin said the division grew between them on the philosophy of ascension. They may even have forgotten about the Destiny purely because they left the Ori galaxy and focused only on complete ascension of their race.

Also, if all Stargates have 9 chevrons, and the 9th chevron is specific to dialing the Destiny... then shouldn't the Destiny be as old as the concept of Stargates altogether? If the experiment happened after the split with the Ori, shouldn't Ori gates only have 8 chevrons?

On that note, can anyone remember seeing a gate while they showed the Ori galaxy? There must have been at least one....

Comment

I'm not 100% sure how accurate Wikia is, but it mentions that the Ancients built the Destiny and forgot about it because they changed focus to ascension. If that's the case, then it would be pre-Ori because Orlin said the division grew between them on the philosophy of ascension. They may even have forgotten about the Destiny purely because they left the Ori galaxy and focused only on complete ascension of their race.
                I don't follow that logic. They could have left the Ori due to disagreements, then done various things including the Destiny project, and then become more interested in actually ascending later.

And I don't think we've actually seen an Ori-galaxy gate, though there obviously has to be some for the Priors to leave via. I suppose the Ori stole the design once they figured out where the Alterrans had fled to.
                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                  I don't follow that logic. They could have left the Ori due to disagreements, then done various things including the Destiny project, and then become more interested in actually ascending later.

And I don't think we've actually seen an Ori-galaxy gate, though there obviously has to be some for the Priors to leave via. I suppose the Ori stole the design once they figured out where the Alterrans had fled to.
                  Damn, you're actually right

From the script, http://www.imsdb.com/transcripts/Sta...-Horseman.html

From Orlin: "Believe me you don't know everything. Along time ago the Ori and the Alterrans were one society...human on an evolutionary path to ascension...but a philosophical division grew...the Ori grew more and more fervent in their religious belief. The Alterrans for lack of a better way of putting it believed in science... The Ori tried to wipe them out."

And yeah, I don't think that we have seen an Ori gate now that I think about it...

Comment

Myself, I'm wondering if it is logical for a ship designed for thousands of years of fully automated flight to even HAVE life support or crew accomodations.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the ship was not designed for "fully automated flight". Why would they have put a chair in it? I think I saw a chair didn't I?.

Comment

Not sure if this has been metioned but the ship HAD to have been built after the whole Altarians/Ori split.....In Ark of Truth you see the firsth rough draft of the stargate....so there is no reason to build a stargate seeding ship withough a stargate to seed....

Comment

Originally posted by Hallnavy View Post
                          Not sure if this has been metioned but the ship HAD to have been built after the whole Altarians/Ori split.....In Ark of Truth you see the firsth rough draft of the stargate....so there is no reason to build a stargate seeding ship withough a stargate to seed....

Oh man - how could I have forgotten that! Haha

I just double checked, it's in the scene where Female Ancient talks Male Ancient out of using the Ark of Truth and the ancient city-ship flew off straight after he grabbed his notebook.

I guess that means that the Destiny might be how the Ancients found the Milky Way in the first place?

Comment

And yeah, I don't think that we have seen an Ori gate now that I think about it...
                            So what Gate did Teal'c destroy in the Ark of Truth I think or was it from one of the last episode of SG1?

There was the another Super Gate: In Ark of Truth didn't Sam and Cameron went into Ori space via a Ori Super gate.

I think Destiny was launched from the Milky Way by the Altern's but because of the research about ascension ir was forgotten. When the Ancients when went to Pegasus Galaxy there is no mention of a Destiny type ship to seed the Galaxy with Stargates.
                            Last edited by MCH; 02 September 2009, 09:50 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                              Myself, I'm wondering if it is logical for a ship designed for thousands of years of fully automated flight to even HAVE life support or crew accomodations.
                              Erm, the ship is designed to accommodate the Ancients that would one day explore the gates that the other ship had seeded, having life support is pretty vital if they wanted to, you know... live.

Comment

Working...
                              X