Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard there will be a poop catapult that they do their buisness in, dial the gate, then launch it thru...

Comment

At the very least I think the Stargate will be used to travel from the Destiny to the planet they in orbit of.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
        At the very least I think the Stargate will be used to travel from the Destiny to the planet they in orbit of.
        Unless the gate on the Destiny works differently than the gates of Atlantis and SG-1, that wouldn't work. In "First Strike" of Season 3 of Atlantis, the gate in the city wouldn't work while the Asuran satellite with the built-in gate was active in orbit.

I think the Destiny gate will first be used for outgoing travel in the second part of the opener, given possible spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior Master View Post
          Unless the gate on the Destiny works differently than the gates of Atlantis and SG-1, that wouldn't work. In "First Strike" of Season 3 of Atlantis, the gate in the city wouldn't work while the Asuran satellite with the built-in gate was active in orbit.

I think the Destiny gate will first be used for outgoing travel in the second part of the opener, given possible spoilers.
          This is true, but I think some things will change in SGU. Otherwise they would never be able to use the gate since up till now they can never use it from a ship that's always moving through space.

Or as in First Strike, they are following a seeding ship so they will always be around a planet with another gate.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            if that's the case, then they should remove 'stargate' from the title as it would be false advertising...
            Keep Stargate in the title, but just use the gate as a really cool office decoration or something.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
              This is true, but I think some things will change in SGU. Otherwise they would never be able to use the gate since up till now they can never use it from a ship that's always moving through space.

Or as in First Strike, they are following a seeding ship so they will always be around a planet with another gate.
              This analysis makes quite a few suspect assumptions:

1. You assume that the Destiny spends most of its time in motion. This is not necessarily accurate: if the Destiny is equipped with an intergalactic hyperdrive, then it would spend a month or two at most traveling between galaxies. Since there is reason to think that it spends up to a year exploring each galaxy, it would spend the majority of its time inside a single galaxy. As for movement within a galaxy, that brings me to your next assumption.

2. You assume that the Destiny explores each planet "in person." However, there is little reason for the Destiny to actually travel to a planet that it wishes to explore: it has a Stargate through which it can send and recover unmanned probes. The only reason for the Destiny to actually travel to a planet with a Stargate is if the probe is destroyed or if the 'Gate fails to connect.

Also, note that in "First Strike," the only reason that they were unable to dial out was because the Asuran Satellite's Stargate was active. Indeed, if the satellite's Stargate had shut down, they would have been able to dial out to keep the Asurans from dialing back in.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Guessing that we will almost never see the gate in use.
                Spoiler:
                They will use the shuttle.
                Apparently they don't have any way around the two gates at the same planet share an address. At least that's the convention that was established in SG_1 and SGA. Bye-bye stargate... Savor that first use...
                On the other hand, Perhaps there will be a plotline about finding a way around that... Or perhaps they will solve it in the SGA movie.
                Last edited by amconway; 21 March 2009, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                  Guessing that we will almost never see the gate in use. They will use the shuttle. Apparently they don't have any way around the two gates at the same planet share an address. Bye-bye stargate... Savor that first use...
                  Er, you do realise that the whole premise behind the show is that they can't control the ship don't you? Unless the Destiny is randomly close to a planet they need to go to, the shuttles will be useless for exploration, they'll have to use the gate to explore the galaxies they go to

Comment

I believe it was hinted that the shuttles will be used to travel to planets with Stargates on them, then go on from there? I could be wrong...

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

People, use spoiler space please for your speculation
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                        I think it will be utilized pretty much immediately - the unexpected crew will need to explore unknown planets in search of much-needed supplies.
                        i think theyll explore the ship first... I thought that was Atlantis's first mistake was to Dial out IMMEDIATELY

liek saying OMG WERE GONNA DIE! lets go look at planets. I mean sure they looked for an alpha site but seriously... First thing that comes to my mind when a city is flooding is stopping it from flooding, then running.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic View Post
                          i think theyll explore the ship first... I thought that was Atlantis's first mistake was to Dial out IMMEDIATELY
                          Well, in Atlantis, the shield was failing and they didn't have any ZPMs to reinforce it, so they pretty much had to abandon the city as soon as possible.

Similarly, in Universe, they are going to be stuck on a ship with limited supplies. Thus, they are going to need to start exploring as quickly as possible in order to get more supplies.

Originally posted by Metonic View Post
                          First thing that comes to my mind when a city is flooding is stopping it from flooding, then running.
                          Wow, you know, it would have been really great if they had had a ZPM so that they could keep the city from flooding. Unfortunately, they happened to have a shortage of such devices.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Um, judging by what Robert said in his interviews, the first episodes are about getting fire, air, water....the elements we need to survive. Fire = heat, Water = drink, Air = breathe....ect...

How do we get heat? Air? Well, maybe fix the ship...but what if they can't? What if they get on the ship and find out there is no heat, no life support, no nothing. What about food?

I have a feeling the Destiny was not made for any long time stay, just gate to it and leave. But after flying around for years, maybe surviving a couple of attacks, energy is almost gone and it isn't ready for life. Not to mention the people who end up going aren't suppose to be there.

So we'll just have to wait and see, but I think the gate will be used for the first six episodes at least.

Comment

I think it has been said that the Stargate will be used, it's just that home base is on a ship in space, I'd guess that once the team has discovered the dialing computer (if it has one like Atlantis), with stored gate addresses then they'll find gate addresses for the galaxy they're in and perhaps start exploring, or they'll check out the ship, any info on it's capabilities they can access and then they may or may not know whether they've got to start risking leaving people behind on random planets.
                              I'd guess it may be an episode or two before they start having to use the gate.

Do they even know they're on a ship when they get there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                                I think it has been said that the Stargate will be used, it's just that home base is on a ship in space, I'd guess that once the team has discovered the dialing computer (if it has one like Atlantis), with stored gate addresses then they'll find gate addresses for the galaxy they're in and perhaps start exploring, or they'll check out the ship, any info on it's capabilities they can access and then they may or may not know whether they've got to start risking leaving people behind on random planets.
                                I'd guess it may be an episode or two before they start having to use the gate.

Do they even know they're on a ship when they get there?
                                Spoiler:
                                No. At first they think they are on a planet. They later come to know that they are on a ship. I believe it was Carlyle in a interview who said this.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                                and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X