This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the crew getting left behind...

Okay, IMO, this opens up a lovely opportunity for a side story similar to Helo's in BSG. Have one or two characters left behind and they're trying to make their way from planet to planet, via the gate system, trying to somehow get ahead of the Destiny. Now, this could be done exactly like BSG, with snippets in each episode, over the course of 10 or 20 or 30 or how many episodes, or maybe they can dedicate a full episode or a two-parter showing everything they did, in similar fashion to Lost's "The Other 48 Days".
    So, you get the rest of the crew getting affected by these people staying behind, but at the same time, you don't just write them off as dead. You can actually build a serious, well-developed parallel storyline, so that you truly have a multidimensional story.
    I don't know...I'd like something like that, rather than "Oh, they're not on the ship when it leaves the system, that's it. They're gone. Moving on."

That begs the question do you want them eventually to eventually find a way to the Destity. And why can't they dial the ship if its in the same galaxy. If its not in the same galaxy how does the character return to the Destinty and do I have to put up with another Save Character X campaign
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, let's say the stranded member(s) have no idea what the Destiny's next stop will be. They don't know where it'll stop. They could like start going form planet to planet and piecing together information from locals or something. Like, say on a semi-advanced planet, there's news reports of an alien ship that appeared in orbit just days ago and they go from there. Like, hoping that, one day, they'll manage to either come across the Destiny or find out from locals where the ship may be or something. Whether or not they'll actually manage to reconnect will be a different issue. But the fact is that a stranded member won't just stay on that planet. They'll try to do SOMETHING. And their struggle, whether or not it will be successful, could be told in an interesting manner, in order to compliment the main storyline.
      And the beauty of it would be that you wouldn't have "SAVE THIS AND THAT!" campaigns. Like, you could have a stranded member one episode, everyone assuming they're gone for good then, two episodes later, you kick off that side story and keep going with it as long as it's viable or necessary. If you can come up with a good explanation for them to reconnect and there's nothing else to tell from their point of view, do it. If not, keep going or eventually kill them off. But not before you actually develop that story. And, IMO, such a side story would be the best way to explore indigenous lifeforms. I mean, you have the main team exploring planets, but you also have them on the ship and so on and one or two stranded members, basically trying to survive, going from civilization to civilization, essentially relying on them for survival and information, they can develop those alien species even better. Another interesting element to me would be that the Destiny crew would start developing civilized relationships with different species. Like, open a real dialogue. If there's a certain race that controls large sections of a certain galaxy, maybe even trade with them somehow. Offer information on the gate network in exchange for supplies or something. Basically developing friendships. Then you have the stranded crew member(s), doing the exact opposite. Sneaking about, stealing food and supplies, just trying to stay alive. I don't know, I think it's something worth at least a try.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        That begs the question do you want them eventually to eventually find a way to the Destity. And why can't they dial the ship if its in the same galaxy. If its not in the same galaxy how does the character return to the Destinty and do I have to put up with another Save Character X campaign
        The beauty of a character being 'left behind' is that it keeps the character alive and a chance for him or her to eventually return as well as to create emotion in the other characters for the 'lost' of their member. So, they aren't necessarily being killed off. Basically, the characters being 'lost' creates the same thing as death except the death part.

They may simply leave it open ended where we don't know the fate of the character if they don't want them to return. We would need to decide if they lived or not. Who knows? xD

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
        and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Because of the serialized nature of the show, there's no reason why a group of characters couldn't get left behind, but every week we still follow their exploits as well as those of the people still on Destiny/

Perfecto!

Comment

Really like this idea. I enjoyed Helo being apart from the fleet on BSG for a while as well. I have always though they could have done a little bit more with that scenario. Over the course of a season sounds about right for this kind of arc.

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
            The beauty of a character being 'left behind' is that it keeps the character alive and a chance for him or her to eventually return as well as to create emotion in the other characters for the 'lost' of their member. So, they aren't necessarily being killed off. Basically, the characters being 'lost' creates the same thing as death except the death part.

They may simply leave it open ended where we don't know the fate of the character if they don't want them to return. We would need to decide if they lived or not. Who knows? xD
            I agree with this. It's potentially pretty dark stuff to have an arc like this, over say a season, only to have the character die or be left behind forever at the end of it. I'd certainly enjoy such a twist... doh -- now it's jinxed.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
              Really like this idea. I enjoyed Helo being apart from the fleet on BSG for a while as well. I have always though they could have done a little bit more with that scenario. Over the course of a season sounds about right for this kind of arc.
              Yeah, me too. I think that it definitly added something to the story. It kept make you wonder how they would get back to the fleet, who was running away from New Caprica.

I think, if the writers would do this, that could be pulled off well. But seeing as the same writers are continuing, I just dont see it happening in a decent fashion. Nothing against the SG writers, but I just dunno about their style of writing and this plot twist.
              Check out my music on Youtube and iCompositions.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/phildebrand2http://www.icompositions.com/artists/olympus/
              sigpic

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by SG-18 View Post
                Yeah, me too. I think that it definitly added something to the story. It kept make you wonder how they would get back to the fleet, who was running away from New Caprica.

I think, if the writers would do this, that could be pulled off well. But seeing as the same writers are continuing, I just dont see it happening in a decent fashion. Nothing against the SG writers, but I just dunno about their style of writing and this plot twist.
                Hey, you never know. Maybe they're in the mood for a change. We can hope.

Comment

i love the idea and it could work well, but wouldn't it be seen as a bit of a BSG rip off though
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                    i love the idea and it could work well, but wouldn't it be seen as a bit of a BSG rip off though
                    As long as it's done well, they can avoid that. I mean, the stranded plot has been done before on lots of films and shows. It all depends on how they pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                      I think things like that will happen no matter what. People are always calling things in Stargate rip offs. And like reddevil said BSG isn't the first show to use this concept. It comes down how it is done in a Stargate sense to be considered a rip off
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post

Okay, IMO, this opens up a lovely opportunity for a side story similar to Helo's in BSG. Have one or two characters left behind and they're trying to make their way from planet to planet, via the gate system, trying to somehow get ahead of the Destiny. Now, this could be done exactly like BSG, with snippets in each episode, over the course of 10 or 20 or 30 or how many episodes, or maybe they can dedicate a full episode or a two-parter showing everything they did, in similar fashion to Lost's "The Other 48 Days".
                        So, you get the rest of the crew getting affected by these people staying behind, but at the same time, you don't just write them off as dead. You can actually build a serious, well-developed parallel storyline, so that you truly have a multidimensional story.
                        I don't know...I'd like something like that, rather than "Oh, they're not on the ship when it leaves the system, that's it. They're gone. Moving on."
                        Nope. The notion that a stranded member would somehow magically be able to figure out the chevrons required to connect to another gate along the path of the Destiny - insulting to anyone with intelligence, at the very least.
                        What is more likely is that a member (or members) of the crew get left behind sometime during the course of a regular season. Then, later on, they would have that member (or members) make a surprise appearance at the end of a season finale - as a cliffhanger.

Whatcha think?

Comment

Originally posted by StarCapnRa View Post
                          Nope. The notion that a stranded member would somehow magically be able to figure out the chevrons required to connect to another gate along the path of the Destiny - insulting to anyone with intelligence, at the very least.
                          What is more likely is that a member (or members) of the crew get left behind sometime during the course of a regular season. Then, later on, they would have that member (or members) make a surprise appearance at the end of a season finale - as a cliffhanger.

Whatcha think?
                          I don't even know why I took you off ignore, but I'll answer your question. Like I said, they'd go from planet to planet, based on information gathered from locals. It's not guessing. It's having them get to an advanced civilization that can tell them "the ship was spotted there or there". It's not them magically getting there. Certainly not more so than them suddenly appearing in a season finale, as a cliffhanger...

Comment

all interesting points, but we are all under the impression that there will be life on all these planets. if i am correct in my stargate theology, then the anceints seeded life in the milky way and the pegasus, which means that if they never went to the destiny like they originally planned, there may not be life on most of these other planets that there are stargates on
                            THE HAM HAS SPOKEN

Comment

Originally posted by THE HAM View Post
                              all interesting points, but we are all under the impression that there will be life on all these planets. if i am correct in my stargate theology, then the anceints seeded life in the milky way and the pegasus, which means that if they never went to the destiny like they originally planned, there may not be life on most of these other planets that there are stargates on
                              We already know that there'll be plenty of truly alien, non-human life on these planets, from the producers.

Comment

Working...
                              X