This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's Role......

If the Destiny is supposed to go to the various gates around the universe placed by the ancients wouldn't that mean the crew could just gate there??? Why do they need to go in a ship????

And how many ZPMs would the Ancients need to get there and come back?
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Plus its even older than Atlantis so who is to say that there are ZPMs?

Comment

The Destiny isn't going to be going to the gates. It is going to be travelling through the universe, seeding gates on planets and throughout the galaxies. The network therefore won't be set up yet. They have to calculate where the gates are from one another and such. The crew is going to be stuck on the ship because of this reason and they won't be able to turn the ship around. Hence, the dilemma and brilliance of the show.

Rodney - "We're sitting ducks..."
        O'Neill - "As in were totally f...."

Comment

Originally posted by mistersinger View Post
          If the Destiny is supposed to go to the various gates around the universe placed by the ancients wouldn't that mean the crew could just gate there??? Why do they need to go in a ship????
          Something that we've been discussing in other threads is the possibility that the distance of the Destiny from Earth means that simply gating to and from the ship isn't possible. The implication also seems to be that Destiny and the ship it is following, the ship leaving behind all the gates, are far older than Atlantis and the technology they left behind in the Pegasus galaxy, but the ships continued their missions with the expectation that eventually the Ancients would visit them too, but the Ancients ascended and left them behind. The gates being left are new gates that haven't had their addresses yet recorded by anything but the Destiny computer. That is my guess anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by before_i_sleep View Post
            The Destiny isn't going to be going to the gates. It is going to be travelling through the universe, seeding gates on planets and throughout the galaxies. The network therefore won't be set up yet. They have to calculate where the gates are from one another and such. The crew is going to be stuck on the ship because of this reason and they won't be able to turn the ship around. Hence, the dilemma and brilliance of the show.
            no the destiny is the follow up ship, the ship seeding the gates went before the destiny

Comment

Originally posted by before_i_sleep View Post
              The Destiny isn't going to be going to the gates. It is going to be travelling through the universe, seeding gates on planets and throughout the galaxies.
              No, the 'Gate-seeder passed through "centuries" before the Destiny, according to the Stargate Universe official website.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

OMG this is getting more confusing, then Carter's technobabble

Tain

sigpic

Comment

I believe destiny was the first ship and the ancients were going to send a second ship but before they did they got busy with acension. So the second ship never got sent. They abbandoned the project.
                  <snip>
                  Although chances are fans got the information of this website.
                  I've seen it on this website before but go to official sites to get information not a site that uses public information. When people say it's the second ship they are wrong. Destiny is the first and only ship out there.

Mainly what i'm trying to say is not use just one source but use as many as you can

And like i have posted again i'm not sure anymore after i've done more research
                  Last edited by Stargate Answers; 04 February 2009, 08:49 PM. Reason: Speculation

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Answers View Post
                    Dude the destiny was the first ship and the ancients were going to send a second ship but before they did they got busy with acension. So the second ship never got sent. They abbandoned the project.

<snip>
                    Although chances are you got the information of this website.
                    I've seen it on this website before but go to official sites to get information not a site that uses public information. When people say it's the second ship they are wrong. Destiny is the first and only ship out there.
                    Fine then, smart guy, tell us where you get your information. I say that because your first sentence is very reminscent to what is written currently here under the "Concept and Setting" section. I'm sure I'm not the only who'd like to know. From everything that I've read thus far, and I don't mean here or Wikipedia, the Destiny is the second ship, the follow-up ship. At this point in the game, to accuse anyone of being wrong is wrong because none of us know anything, unless we happen to be in the actual production of the show. Your screen-name doesn't make you an expert.
                    Last edited by Skydiver; 04 February 2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Let's remember people that this is speculation on a TV show, not a matter of life and death.

Let's keep things in perspective and show a little respect towards your fellow forum members.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Forte View Post
                        Something that we've been discussing in other threads is the possibility that the distance of the Destiny from Earth means that simply gating to and from the ship isn't possible. The implication also seems to be that Destiny and the ship it is following, the ship leaving behind all the gates, are far older than Atlantis and the technology they left behind in the Pegasus galaxy, but the ships continued their missions with the expectation that eventually the Ancients would visit them too, but the Ancients ascended and left them behind. The gates being left are new gates that haven't had their addresses yet recorded by anything but the Destiny computer. That is my guess anyway.
                        so basicly the destiny is going to programme and calibrate the gates. that makes real good sence from both a plot and scientific standpiont

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Answers View Post
                          Dude the destiny was the first ship and the ancients were going to send a second ship but before they did they got busy with acension. So the second ship never got sent. They abbandoned the project.
                          <snip>
                          Although chances are you got the information of this website.
                          i would like to respectfully point out the following quote (copied and pasted from the series synopsys press release)

After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by the Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion, but never completed.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the Stargate Universe crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races, enemies and adventures.

this clearely stated previously launched, ie before the destiny arrives, so the destiny is the second ship

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                            i would like to respectfully point out the following quote (copied and pasted from the series synopsys press release)

After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by the Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion, but never completed.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the Stargate Universe crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races, enemies and adventures.

this clearely stated previously launched, ie before the destiny arrives, so the destiny is the second ship
                            While I do agree with you toby1kanobi, I have to admit that your quote above does not prove anything. It says the mission was previously launched, not necessarily the seed-ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Forte View Post
                              While I do agree with you toby1kanobi, I have to admit that your quote above does not prove anything. It says the mission was previously launched, not necessarily the seed-ship.
                              agreed but if it was the same ship it would be doing loops round the universe. it just dusnt gel there is a release that actually says the second ship but i cant find it (i think it has been replaced by what i have used for refferance)

Comment

Working...
                              X