This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yipster View Post
    Oh boy its embarrassing how limited some people are in sci fi when it comes to comparison..
    Lets see they are all stuck on a moving ship and running into new alien worlds and peoples along the way. This does not = Voyager since from my understanding they may not have control on this ship... But this does sound very very disappointedly like another Sci fi show. Heres how it went, an explosion sends the earths moon out of orbit, we have a base on the moon, and they are all stuck on it as it flys out of our solar system into the universe, they have no control over it and so are forced to survive alone facing the many alien worlds and peoples along the way.

SPACE 1999, look it up SGU is just an unashamed modern rip off.

Now way worries me is this "attracting youngers audiences while keeping the old"

Now i'm sure most people shiver and think things like "Dude she's totaly Go'uld" but thats not so bad stargate: 90210, no the limited imagination of television producers today, getting a younger audience = Weasley Crusher My most viled and hated charactor of any sci fi show ever, an annoying smart $@$ kid that doesnt act anything like a real kid main charactor....

Anyway my hopes of SGU are very very low and i fully expect the death of the franchise if the horribly bad dvd movies havent finished it off already.
    I hate Weasley as well. Welcome by the Way.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
      While I know we really don't have a good idea what all the details are yet, does anyone else think Stargate Universe will end up being Stargate's versions of Star Trek Voyager?

Here is what I'm thinking:
      -Lost in a Distant Galaxy with no way home
      -Potentially unknown to the rest of the SGC
      -Potentially no contact with Earth
      -Picking up alien crewmates along the way
      -Trying to find a way home
      -Not tied directly to Earth or the SGC
      -I'm sure the list could go on

I'm not saying this is or isn't a bad thing. I liked Star Trek Voyager and I hope Stargate Universe is really awesome, just sounds like they could have some common elements.
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by ripple in space View Post
        lol!!
        Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Yipster View Post
          Oh boy its embarrassing how limited some people are in sci fi when it comes to comparison..
          Lets see they are all stuck on a moving ship and running into new alien worlds and peoples along the way. This does not = Voyager since from my understanding they may not have control on this ship... But this does sound very very disappointedly like another Sci fi show. Heres how it went, an explosion sends the earths moon out of orbit, we have a base on the moon, and they are all stuck on it as it flys out of our solar system into the universe, they have no control over it and so are forced to survive alone facing the many alien worlds and peoples along the way.

SPACE 1999, look it up SGU is just an unashamed modern rip off.

Now way worries me is this "attracting youngers audiences while keeping the old"

Now i'm sure most people shiver and think things like "Dude she's totaly Go'uld" but thats not so bad stargate: 90210, no the limited imagination of television producers today, getting a younger audience = Weasley Crusher My most viled and hated charactor of any sci fi show ever, an annoying smart $@$ kid that doesnt act anything like a real kid main charactor....

Anyway my hopes of SGU are very very low and i fully expect the death of the franchise if the horribly bad dvd movies havent finished it off already.
          WESLEY Crusher was my first SCI-FI love. And the major reason I got into Star Trek.

As for the movies they a awesome. And hope that they make many more!!
          MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
          MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
          POLARIS TORONTO 2007
          CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
          GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
          VCON VANCOUVER 2010
          FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
            WESLEY Crusher was my first SCI-FI love. And the major reason I got into Star Trek.

As for the movies they a awesome. And hope that they make many more!!
            Well they are ok when you consider them as normal episodes, but the storys are poor for a movie.. I'm blaming most of it on the writers strike for the current ones and looking forward to the newer ones with some... hope.
            -----------------------------------------------------
            Nothings more important than your health... except your money!.

sigpic
            "As a matter of fact it does say Colonel on my uniform." - Colonel Danning

Comment

I thought in the early production of SGU, it was supposed to be like a real world kind of thing? Did they change the premise mid-development?

Comment

No. is my short answer to the OP's question.

Or at least I hope not. I'm hoping they'll read articles written like the ones over at Ex Astris Scientia about all the problems with Voyager and the seemingly never ending resource pool they had.

Something else which has come to mind is that in the first year of SGA there was never any mention of ammo rationing of anything like that despite being stuck on Atlantis for a year. So unless the X-699 has been devloped further into a practical model then ammunition is going to be a problem unless there is an armoury or two aboard the Destiny with Lantean weapons.
                So i think there is going to have to be some serious thought to get this right.

Anyway thats my 10 pence for the time being

Comment

While I didn't hate Voyager, it didn't rise to the level of awesome. 7of9 was definitely awesome, her choice of wardrobe was also awesome, but the show didn't get that far.

I hope they come up with an original concept for this instead of a rehash. I mean there have been episodes of SG-1 which had essentially the same plot as ST:TNG episodes. I'm not implying plagiarism, but at some point you just run out of ideas. I hope they have an original concept, with the scripts being more "human".

I hesitate to call BSG "sci-fi" since aside from them being on space ships, it's a drama. That said, it has raised the bar for the sci-fi genre since it tends to get classified there.
                  The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                    No. Altantis was Voyager.

Universe is Atlantis?

Thats what I have always said

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    When Atlantis was in development, there's were loads of people claiming that it would just be a Voyager rip-off, that didn't happen, now they're saying Universe will be a Voyager rip-off, and chances are that won't happen either.
                    Yep, I was one of those people...and boy was I wrong! I still say though there are more comparisons with Atlantis and Voyager then SGU and Voyager.

I have also always said originality comes with the script, plot, characters and how everything plays out. Anyone really thinks Doctor Who is just a space James Bond? I mean, he is a single person doing something that no single person can do, has a cool ride and a focus on not killing people. Plus, he even has a girl. But does that make the show and the popular movie series are just the same? I really could do this all day, but I think you have my point -- just because they appear or look to be the same, doesn't mean they are.

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                      No, SGU won't have Voyager's success (7 seasons)!!!
                      Never say never. SGU could surprise a lot of people.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                        Are you kidding? Wesley Crusher was such a horrible character that even Whil Wheaton didn't like him.

That said, to each his or he own, so I guess I really don't have the right to judge. Not that that'll stop me.

Originally posted by helio9 View Post
                        7of9 was definitely awesome, her choice of wardrobe was also awesome, but the show didn't get that far.
                        What's so great about 7 of 9's outfit? It's a catsuit. It serves no useful purpose save to remind the views that the Doctor failed to remove all of her implants (note: I make no claims about Jeri Ryan's natural physical proprtions).

I mean, when a character with a similar outfit showed up on SG-1 (Anise), fans were apparently so (rightfully) offended that TPTB would up removing the character.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

It would be so nice if the new series didn't have to get compared to something else well before anyone sees it. I guess thats too much to hope for though.
                          Learn how the Stargate name is being used in a con, and do your part to stop it!

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            What's so great about 7 of 9's outfit? It's a catsuit. It serves no useful purpose save to remind the views that the Doctor failed to remove all of her implants (note: I make no claims about Jeri Ryan's natural physical proprtions).

I mean, when a character with a similar outfit showed up on SG-1 (Anise), fans were apparently so (rightfully) offended that TPTB would up removing the character.
                            Of course that was the point. They were both eye candy ( IMO 7of9 > Anise). I think both of their outfits (and what was underneath) was awesome. My only point was that Voyager as a show didn't wasn't as good as the eye candy that was 7of9.

Anyways, getting back to the point,SGU could be a bit closer to Voyager because we know so far that they're based off of a ship, far far away. We'll see how it turns out. People said the same about Atlantis, but they weren't on a ship. Infact, for most of S1, the only ships they had were PJs.
                            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
                              [FONT="Tahoma"]
                              The first thing the writers got right was not naming the show Stargate: Destiny after the Ships name like Star trek: Voyager. The First show was named after a Team, the Second show was named after the City so it good for SGU not to be named after a ship, class of ship or space station. It’s been done too many times before
                              I think this is a good point for reasons you may not think of.

The other shows are named after the ships because it's about the ship and the people on it. While SGU may be about the ship Destiny, naming it "Universe" makes the show about the various "universes" they're encountering - yes it's about the characters, but a lot of it will be showcasing the new discoveries they make.
                              Around The Universe

Comment

Working...
                              X